Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Does anyone else find it funny that members with "candy" in their names are prone to be trolls.
    We are hearing over and over (from people like newrival) that your accusations of trolling are really just a cover-up for intolerance. I feel that if you were really interested in getting the correct answers to technical issues like tweeter burn-in, you'd be less aggressive and more constructive.

Related to this, that you attack me personally rather than the issues is a solid indicator that you are not able to participate on an intellectual level, and therefore must operate on a juvenile one.

I am a physicist and its my job to sort out truth from fiction with respect to complicated problems. With practice the ability to do this dispassionately can be cultivated.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    I still don't get why he's a "troll."
    It seems that term gets thrown around a lot in here. If I had to surmise a definition based on its application in the forum, I'd say a troll is anyone who's opinion deviates from that of a handful of very specific people.
    This is a very small pond and there are a few who fancy themselves very large fish.
    I've enjoyed the conversation and the different opinions from all sides, but fallacious comments and intellectual dishonesty of some people are really making me question the defensiveness of the "pro-break-in/burn-in" crowd.
    You asked that question once, I guess you didn't like or agree with my answer.

Here it is again, if you don't know the difference then you need to get a little more experience on the board.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...3&postcount=86

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by jcandy View Post
    We are hearing over and over (from people like newrival) that your accusations of trolling are really just a cover-up for intolerance. I feel that if you were really interested in getting the correct answers to technical issues like tweeter burn-in, you'd be less aggressive and more constructive.

Related to this, that you attack me personally rather than the issues is a solid indicator that you are not able to participate on an intellectual level, and therefore must operate on a juvenile one.

I am a physicist and its my job to sort out truth from fiction with respect to complicated problems. With practice the ability to do this dispassionately can be cultivated.
    Does anyone else find it funny that members with "candy" in their names are prone to be trolls.
    That wasn't an attack, it was an observation. You should learn the difference. I see you haven't addressed the logic I posted earlier about the tweeter being constant in time and then stating it degrades over time. It can't be both. If you agree tweeters degrade over time then you agree they aren't constant and therefore it is possible break in occurs.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 02-18-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I see what you're saying, but it's his point of view.
    [the following is paraphrasin, with liberties taken, of course]
    He contends your brain is creating the effect that you're hearing.
    You're saying he just can't hear the obvious mechanical effect.
    Both sides have posted links, and both sides have said their opinions are the truth.
    Now, where's the harm? Whom is righteous? I'm sorry but I don't see any difference in the intentions of the debaters here of either side.
    This is me stepping back, as you advised.
    design is where science and art break even.

These types of posters aren't true participants. They have a mantra and an agenda and the only time they "participate" is to furthur their mantra or to stir things up and finally to play the victim. It's a textbook case.

H9

All kidding aside, newrival, makes a good point, just the other day, i made a comment about something, and was told i was lost, by another member, for my beliefs, this guy was not even in on the post at this time, when i let him know it bothered me, i was suddenly, a baby, and told to get some thick skin,, It does seem, like there are certain members who seem to assume they know more than others,, than mask it by saying there just kidding,,, Big fish, little fish,,, Sure seems that way,

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    The philosophical questions at the end may have been rhetorical, but I think that's a very good point. In the end, does it matter if it can be measured? There are thories out there that question whether we all hear the same at all.
    I don't have an objection to people saying things like "after 200 hours, the tweeters seem to become more alive to me", because indeed this may indeed be a completely true account of a subjective experience. I do have a problem with people claiming that "after 200 hours, the tweeters become more alive", because that is a claim not about your perception but about the properties of the tweeter.

You might also discover that "after 4 bong hits the tweeters become more alive to me", but that says nothing about the tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by thesurfer View Post
    All kidding aside, newrival, makes a good point, just the other day, i made a comment about something, and was told i was lost, by another member, for my beliefs, this guy was not even in on the post at this time, when i let him know it bothered me, i was suddenly, a baby, and told to get some thick skin,, It does seem, like there are certain members who seem to assume they know more than others,, than mask it by saying there just kidding,,, Big fish, little fish,,, Sure seems that way,
    Ha, welcome to life.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You asked that question once, I guess you didn't like or agree with my answer.

Here it is again, if you don't know the difference then you need to get a little more experience on the board.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...3&postcount=86

H9
    Yep, I did ask that question. And, I'm sorry, I didn't find your response all that useful only because your argument was that their intentions seemed suspect. That's a pretty weak argument to me, as it is solely predicated on your skepticism. Additionally, I don't think you meant the word veracity. Perhaps tenacity?
    Last edited by newrival; 02-18-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    design is where science and art break even.

I see you haven't addressed the logic I posted earlier about the tweeter being constant in time and then stating it degrades over time. It can't be both.
    When did I claim that a tweeter degrades over time? I've stated ad nauseum that it doesn't.

Ha, welcome to life.

H9
    Ya, should have joined back in 2001, would at least gotten some respect by now,

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Observations:
    I see web feet, feathers, a bill, and it quacks a lot. Yep it's a duck.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (4)

You guyz still not burning out yet?

Now excuse me, it's time for me to hit another dose again.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by jcandy View Post
    You're lucky. Its not in the realm of journals I have access to. I would be willing to read it if someone will send me a copy.

The abstract makes it pretty clear, however, that the work describes a methodology rather than validation of a specific hypothesis (like, does the tweeter response actually change in time).
    My point was that in ADDITION to understanding the measurement tools we currently have at hand, some here at CP are intently trying to determine why some things that measure good sound bad, and why some things that measure bad (or defy even defy measurement) sound good.

Many have rooms full of VOM's, scopes, test tones, node software, etc., etc., but have come to the reasonable conclusion that the more we know, the more we know what we don't know. I'm thinking maybe you aren't there . . . yet.

Once we have the methodology, I believe the invention of the tools will follow, and Raife was one of the first on that scene. I'm proud he's a Polkie.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 02-18-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    ...the more we know, the more we know what we don't know...
    Amen Brother. I have learned that very lession with age.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    Many have rooms full of VOM's, scopes, test tones, node software, etc., etc., but have come to the reasonable conclusion that the more we know, the more we know what we don't know. I'm thinking maybe you aren't there . . . yet.
    I think any reasonable person would agree that listening is very important, or even the most imporant thing in this hobby. The proof is in the pudding.

But surely a person can't be expected to be taken seriously when his 'testing' methodology consists of - changing something in his audio setup, popping in his favourite Pink Floyd CD, and then coming to a forum and waxing poetic about the improved "air, rhythm and pacing"? Especially when his results seem to go against all known laws of physics, electronics, common sense, and previous blind tests by other experienced listeners? It's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Freak View Post
    I think any reasonable person would agree that listening is very important, or even the most imporant thing in this hobby. The proof is in the pudding.

But surely a person can't be expected to be taken seriously when his 'testing' methodology consists of - changing something in his audio setup, popping in his favourite Pink Floyd CD, and then coming to a forum and waxing poetic about the improved "air, rhythm and pacing"? Especially when his results seem to go against all known laws of physics, electronics, common sense, and previous blind tests by other experienced listeners? It's laughable.
    Then instead of reading about it, do it, and draw your own conclusions instead of tearing apart others experiences based on science.

H9

Science, is just a bunch of guys trying to put logic, into what they dont understand,,,and calling it good,,,

Science, is just a bunch of guys trying to put logic, into what they dont understand,,,and calling it good,,,

Yes. That is all it is. And the United States keeps sliding back into the Dark Ages.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Yes. That is all it is. And the United States keeps sliding back into the Dark Ages.
    With all the hate, rape, and mindless murder,, may as well be the dark ages,,

Member Sales Rating: (49)

With all the hate, rape, and mindless murder,, may as well be the dark ages,,
    That has been going on since the beggining of man and will continue far into the future. Very sad but it's truth.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...