Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Member Sales Rating: (37)

This reminds me of a car I had in the shop recently, with an intermittently squeaky serpentine belt and a slight bit of a growl coming from under the hood.

The air conditioning compressor, alternator, water pump and 2 idler pulleys as well as a pulley on the crankshaft share this belt.

I noticed the squeal mostly right after starting the car on cold dry mornings, when the heater fan was placed on high and the electrical resistance defrosters were turned on.

My mechanic tested the alternator for output (with whatever measuring tool he uses for that) and the output was good, and he tightened the serpentine belt to spec (with whatever measuring tool he uses for that).

The belt squeal went away, but the slight growl was still there. He had placed the stethoscope he uses in such cases (a measuring tool) on all pulleys on that belt, and said it was inconclusive as any bad bearing could transmit it's sound to other bearings sharing the belt. He said however, that when he simply listened with his ears, he thought it "sounded" like the alternator bearing was probably the culprit, so I kept my ear on it too.

2 weeks later the alternator started groaning miserably, and then failed completely. We replaced it and all of the abnormal sounds I'd heard were gone, so I trust we've now solved the problem.

However, the tests he'd run with the measuring tools available today did not pinpoint a problem. His trained ears, on the other hand, had predicted what was wrong.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 02-26-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Thread Information