Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk SRS Questions

Hello All,
    I realize that what I am about to ask has probably been answered in this forum many times before, but I can not seem to locate the thread. In the factory literature, Polk states that one of the differences between the initial SRS, the 1.2, and the 1.2TL relates to a cabinet modification. Can anyone enlighten me about this difference? I plan to attempt to purchase a pair of 1.2TLs for use as my mains, and I was wondering if a pair of SRS speakers would aesthetically work for rear channel support? I am already familiar with the crossover and tweeter updates, my concern now goes the ever dreaded W.A.F.
    Thank you in advance for all of your help and time. Now, let the diatribes begin!

Sincerely,
    Aero

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default SRS Cabinet Modifications

The SRS, SRS 1.2, and SRS 1.2TL all look virtually identical. Some of the earlier SRSs from 1985 used top and bottom end caps of laminated wood boards. Those boards sometimes would crack along the lamination seams.

Polk went to solid end caps with a laminated wood band around the edges for the later models SRS, SRS 1.2, and SRS 1.2TL.

The SRS 1.2 and SRS 1.2TL had [b]internal[/b] cabinet modifications in the form of stiffer internal bracing for resonance control. The modified cabinets were a "monocoque" design which used a stiffer, stronger material with no increase in weight. [At least, that's what the sales literature said.] I have both the SRS and the SRS 1.2TL, but I have never peeped inside the cabinets to compare construction methods.;)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Re: Polk SRS Questions

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Aero [/i]
    [B]Hello All,
    I plan to attempt to purchase a pair of 1.2TLs for use as my mains, and I was wondering if a pair of SRS speakers would aesthetically work for rear channel support? [/B][/QUOTE]

4 SRSs......you must have a [b][u]HUGE[/u][/b] room!

Default SRS Questions

Hi Raife1,
    Thanks for the information and the quick response.

Regards,
    Aero

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Not starting a fight, or nit picking, just a thought crossing my mind.

1.2's, or for that matter ANY SDA (perhaps not the CRS) as rear channels for HT seems like such a waste of such great speakers.

I guess if multi-ch music blows your skirt up, ok, I can see that, but just for rear fill in a home theater? Makes me cringe!

Mon 5's or 7's would timber up, no?

Cheers,
    Rooster

Second the 'large room' statement, I've got to find a better location at the Casa De Gates for the SRS 2's.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Default SDA SRS?

Hi everyone,

I just found this site, and I'm hoping that all you smart folks can help me out. I found a pair of SDA SRS (not really sure if there is more to the model number) for sale locally. When I looked behind the grill, there are 4 speakers, with two tweeters? in the middle. The back of each speaker identifies them as SDA-SRS-2. Can you please help me out with any info on these speakers? I've been quoted a price of $400 for the pair, and based on their sound, I'd like to pick them up if they sound legitimate. Sure would appreciate any insight!!!

Thanks,
    Loree

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That's a great price! Take a look at the ends of the interconnect cord. If it has a pin and blade connection then you have struck GOLD. Buy em and enjoy!

Thanks for the quick response!!! These are currently at a local pawn shop, and when I looked at the hookup, there are speaker wires running from each speaker to the amp they have it hooked up to. Because I'm on the very low end of intelligent plant life when it comes to these speakers, where would I look to find the interconnect cable? As you can tell, any and all basic info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
    Loree

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Welcome to the fray!

The SDA SRS 2 is a legitimate Polk speaker. The 1986 model has the twin blade interconnect cable and the 1987 model has the pin/blade type. You mentioned only 4 drivers and two tweeters, it should have a 15" passive radiator also. The price of $400.00 is good as long as you get the cable as it is key to the SDA effect of these great speakers.

The specs:

Overall frequency - 12Hz to 26 kHz
    Power handling - 10-750 wpc
    Impedance - 4 ohms
    Efficiency - 92 db
    Weight - 142 lbs

These SDA speakers like to be driven by a clean high current amp in the neighborhood of 200 wpc that can drive a 4 ohm load.

F1
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The cable connects from the back of one speaker to the other. It is black and about 20' long.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Much thanks for the info!!! I'm outta here again to go look at these speakers to see if the interconnect comes with it. If it doesn't for some reason, would it still be a good deal to pick up the speakers and purchase the interconnect elsewhere?

I'll be checking back as soon as I return! You guys are a big help!!

Loree

If you need to buy a cable, I believe the twin blade type is still available from Polk, but the pin/blade type is not. However, that pin/blade type cable can be made.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Yea, thats a good price. Buy them, as long as they are functional.

The interconnect isn't a big deal, their is a member here, Har Navalta, that can make one for you. He charges a nominal fee, and the cable will be of high quality.

Dang....as luck would have it, the speakers do not have the interconnect cable with them. Everything else seems to be functional on them so I guess I'll go back and get 'em based on your recommendations. Next in the long line of questions.....is there a manual somewhere I can download or buy for these speakers? Any tricks or hints in setting them up? Soon as I figure out what interconnect I need, I'll send a message to the member you recommended and buy the interconnect from him.

Much thanks,
    Loree

Look on the back of one speaker, there will be a circle above the binding posts. If it has two slots in it, then you need the twin blade type. If it has one hole with a slot under it, then you need the pin/blade type.

Set up......about 6' to 8' feet apart (inside edge to inside edge), listening distance should be about the same as the distance between them. Do not toe-in.....should be parallel to the back wall and between 5" to 18" from the back wall. The closer they are to the wall, the more bass response you will get. They must be no closer than 3' from any side wall, this is very important to get the SDA effect, which you won't get until you have a interconnect cable. They will sound much better with the cable than they do now, so keep that in mind. What are you going to use for power? Is it a common-ground amp?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

The cable issue, as has been pointed out is a relatively minor issue.....get your spend on and bag those on principle alone!

Give Polk CS a call or drop Ken Swauger an email, they will send you a copy of the manual, no charge.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Got 'em home and in the house ready for cabling. I understand that I need a common ground amp to drive them too, so I'll be looking to buy one of those. Any good recommendations on cable and the amp?

Sure appreciate all your help and assistance today. Can't wait to get the rest of the pieces and listen to them in my house for the first time!

Loree

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Get in touch with Har for the cable....as far as the amp goes, the SDA's are fairly efficient, meaning that they will work with lower powered amps and receivers, HOWEVER, as far as power goes, the more the better....what do you have now? Are they going to be for 2 channel or surround? Fill us in on your situation...

MOST amps are common ground, and if you are unsure, ask.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TroyD [/i]
    [B]....what do you have now? Are they going to be for 2 channel or surround? Fill us in on your situation...

BDT [/B][/QUOTE]

I would bet any amp will at least get you up and running.

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***

Oh boy......on my way towards getting a system together that will make my addiction to music even worse....

Ordered the interconnect cable from Polk earlier this week, and am now looking for a receiver/amplifier. Much thanks to Jesse for the help so far. Looking for suggestions on a good receiver.....maybe even luck out in finding a good one that someone in this forum wants to sell. It would be great to get one from a trusted source of folks who can lead me in the right direction.

As always, any and all advice appreciated.

Your token helpless female,

:D
    Loree

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Jeez, how did I miss this?

Hey Loree, how you doin'?

Cheers,
    Joey T.
    (a fellow SRS 2 owner)

Last edited by RuSsMaN; 09-04-2003 at 11:15 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Howdy....

I guess I'm doin' darn well.....

Understand from Jesse that you're a Texan (or at least live here). I moved here a couple of years ago and work about a half mile from the Ballpark at Arlington. Too bad the team is terrible.

Been watchin' the posts from everyone, and you guys are fun and interesting to boot. I get a chuckle from the creativity of the responses.

Loree

You're very welcome.

Oh yeah, watch that Russman, he's slicker than Texas gold. ;)

Old School

Who the hell is Joey T.?

Welcome Loree... Nice entrance.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Thanks Tour.......

Hey...saw that you referred to Joe Walsh as a fellow Buckeye.....are you from there?

Loree

Old School

Cleveland, OH... Parma Hts. to be precise.... You?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (17)

WARNING!
    Be careful on this site! Before you know it we will talk you into multiple pairs of SDA's, mono block amps, bi-amping, tubes, turntables, SACD, DVD Audio, separate HS and HT systems, separates, power conditioners, isolation devices, weird interconnects and huge speaker cable. You will remain poor and will never get away. Never...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Born in Cuyahoga Falls, lived in Barberton (outside of Akron). Not too far away from your stomping grounds!

Max.......

I'm figuring that you are right. I've resisted being drawn to the light in the past, but I'm losing ground. The speakers are just a start. What a wonderful way to go though!!!!

Loree

Born in Cleveland, good folks from Ohio! :)

Thread Information