Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RTI A9, A7, Monitor 50's, Paradigm Studio Series

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the crazy title...wasn't sure what I should list.

Here's the short of it....I've got two Monitor 50's up front and really want to upgrade. Movies are good for the most part...but feel like I miss a lot of detail...also missing a lot of mid range for music.

I auditioned the Paradigm Studio Series (60's and 100's) and absolutely LOVE them....but can't really justify the cost...but budge was around $1,000 and sky rocked to $3,500 after listening to the Studio series.

I've listened to the A9's and A7's in a Fryes electronic store...they didn't really impress me like I was hoping but the room was very large and I don't think they were setup very well.

In your expereience....would the A7's or A9's serve me well for what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance,
    - Danny

I love my A7's. They replaced my Monitor 70's and I have never had a regret.

What will you power them with?

Both the A7 & A9 will benefit greatly from a powerful amp...

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I'd go big so you don't have any regrets later. The studio 100's are great. Also for great detail look at Definitive Technolgy Mythos.

I'm currently using an Onkyo SR607...think its rated at about 100 per channel. Would certainly be open to adding an amp down the line. Did you see a big improvement from the 70's to the A'7s?

By going big....are you recommending that I go with the Studio line and stay away from the Polks?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You have to go with what sounds 'best' to you. If you like Paradigms then maybe you should just save up for those.

Of the Polk's mentioned, I prefer the Rti-A9s but you're not going to hear how they really sound without amplification.

Leroy has 'moved' on from those, some stay with them.

In any case, you're going to need an AVR with pre-outs and some external amplification.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by nolec5 View Post
    I'm currently using an Onkyo SR607...think its rated at about 100 per channel. Would certainly be open to adding an amp down the line. Did you see a big improvement from the 70's to the A'7s?

By going big....are you recommending that I go with the Studio line and stay away from the Polks?
    Get what sounds best so you're not second guessing your purchase. The studio 100's definitely needs a external amp. So factor in the cost of a new receiver with pre outs and external amp.

Connect the RTi A7s (and by extension other RTi As) to a nice high current amp, they'll sound worlds better than how they do at Fry's.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the crazy title...wasn't sure what I should list.

Here's the short of it....I've got two Monitor 50's up front and really want to upgrade. Movies are good for the most part...but feel like I miss a lot of detail...also missing a lot of mid range for music.

I auditioned the Paradigm Studio Series (60's and 100's) and absolutely LOVE them....but can't really justify the cost...but budge was around $1,000 and sky rocked to $3,500 after listening to the Studio series.

I've listened to the A9's and A7's in a Fryes electronic store...they didn't really impress me like I was hoping but the room was very large and I don't think they were setup very well.

In your expereience....would the A7's or A9's serve me well for what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance,
    - Danny
    Do they have to be NEW?

Near new you can save lots of money...

I bought new A9's.. I love them..I am enthralled even.

I intend to check out the Studio 100's when I get back.

Axiom will let you test their speakers in your home for 30 days.. M60, M80.

For me, I will stay with the A9's.

Maybe after a few years when I'm ready for a change.

Good luck

No...they don't necessarily need to be new...I was thinking of getting a set of floor model paradigm 100's at about a 20% discount...but still have a hard time justifying the cost. I may also consider the polk ebay store...seems like a lot of folks have had good luck going that route.

Am I reading correctly that I may not have enough power in my current setup to notice a true difference with A7's or A9's?

Am I reading correctly that I may not have enough power in my current setup to notice a true difference with A7's or A9's?
    If you want to hear what the A7s or A9s really sound like, you'll need a high current amp. It made a huge difference with my RTi A7s. Better clarity, exponentially better bass response, and a wider / deeper soundstage. When you think the center speaker is on (and it's not), that's a hell of a difference :)

This my experience, but borne from advice from Polkies here.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Whichever one you go with, to get the most out of them you need to get an amp. The 607 is a good receiver, but doesn't have nearly the power to push all the speakers you mentioned to their fullest.
    A9's like external amplification, and will benefit 100%.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (1)

missing a lot of mid range for music.

I've listened to the A9's and A7's in a Fryes electronic store...they didn't really impress me like I was hoping

The RTiA series speakers are much better on HT than Music. The RTia series
    are a little on the bright side with Music. The Paradigm Studio series are Much
    more Musical than the RTiA series. The Polk LSi series would be more comparable to the Studio series. If your looking for a Mid-range sound, go for
    the Paradigms.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

I think it keeps coming back to amplification...

I can't help but feel that hooking up Paradigm Studio 60/100's or even RTi A9's to an Onkyo SR607 is almost a crime. You will never get out of them what they are capable of with that receiver.

No matter how you cut it, look at your budget, price a new/better receiver or even receiver+amp and then see how much you have left for speakers...

If you really want the Paradigms, get the foundation for them first, then save for them... Hell you will even notice a big difference in your current speakers if you upgrade your amplification.

No...they don't necessarily need to be new...I was thinking of getting a set of floor model paradigm 100's at about a 20% discount...but still have a hard time justifying the cost. I may also consider the polk ebay store...seems like a lot of folks have had good luck going that route.

I didn't address power. I have plenty of power so I never think about it.
    Justifying the cost is absolutely valid. There are lots of cars, (and trucks) I'd could buy but not be able to justify the cost. So, I get what fits my budget.

The more expensive the item, the more auditioning you should do...at different places...If you can get home auditions even better..
    You will be satisfied in the end no matter what you choose..( for about a month anyway)

I'm currently using an Onkyo SR607...think its rated at about 100 per channel.
    You should note that your receiver does NOT have pre-outs. So if the speakers you want need external amplification, add a receiver to the budget along with an amp.
    HT
    Onkyo TX-NR1008 | Magnepan 1.7 | Polk LSiC | Polk VM20 | Polk DSW microPro 2000 | Parasound HCA-2205A | Oppo BDP-93

2-Ch
    Cary SLP 30 Tube Preamp | Polk LSi7 | Carver M1.5t | Audio-gd Digital Interface | W4S DAC-2 | MAC Mini | Denon DP300f & Pro-Ject Debut III TT's

I am very happy with my rtia7, however they have improved a lot from separate pre/amp for music duty. I use them also with pio elite avr and they sound very good for movies as well.

If i were you i would get the a9 from polk direct ebay store and with get a good pio elite sc-25 avr and call it a day. Eventually you will want to upgrade or add an amp then you could use the pio as pre.

Imo the a9 are great speakers and i do not thing that the price difference is justified from the 100, i do not think the paradigms sound 3 times better.

Good luck
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL:
    KEF R300 THREE WAY BOOKSHELF GLOSS PIANO BLACK
    ROTEL RC 990BX PRE
    ROTEL RB 990BX AMP
    OPPO DV980 (AS CD PLAYER)
    PIONEER PL100 TURNTABLE WITH SHURE MX97E CART
    MIT EXP2 SPEAKER CABLES

if u can get an onkyo 3007 receiver. It has a bridge mode that gives 200 wattss to the front two speakers in stereo mode....great option for those of us who dont want seperate amps

Quote Originally Posted by robert0507 View Post
    if u can get an onkyo 3007 receiver. It has a bridge mode that gives 200 wattss to the front two speakers in stereo mode....great option for those of us who dont want seperate amps
    Too bad you can't do that with LSi speakers.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

yeah i know. The bridge feature only works with 8 ohm speakers...

Thank you for all the great feedback!!

I'm not against starting with a new receiver now and upgrading speakers down the road. It might actually work out better as I was wanting to upgrade an old Denon in another room simply to have HDMI hookups. I could replace the Onkyo (which is in more "media" room) and move it to the living room arear.

With that in mind, Wehre would be a good source to purchase something like the pio elite sc-25? And/Or are there other options in this same ball park?? I just did a quick search on google and it looks like this particular Pioneer goes for about $1K!

Any other receiver options?

Pioneer Elite must be purchased (new) at an authorized dealer. I got mine from Best Buy and they were willing to deal but I was buying a TV at the same time. Look at AVRs from Harmon Kardon or Marantz just make sure they have a 12v trigget and preouts so you have options in the future.

There is a non-Elite Pioneer VSX-1120-K that has preouts or the VSX-32 has a retail of 800.00.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Any other receiver options?
    This would make a nice start and keep you below your upper price point. It's perfectly capable of powering the 7s on its own and adding a NAD power amp later would be a really good thing. Unless, of course, you have neighbors too close ...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT747

Just kidding about the neighbors, but NAD power works really well with Polk speakers.

NAD/Polk a near perfect union.
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Technics SL-1301/Shure M97xE
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM
    Antec VERIS A/V Cooler x 2