+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Configuration Q

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Configuration Q

My Setup is as follows:

RT1000p Fronts
    CS400 Center
    RT600 Surround

My center is hardwired to my Yamaha receiver. My fronts and surrounds are powered wirelessly by the Rocketfish Wireless Audio HD kit from Best Buy. Blasphemous I know, but I have my A/V equipment on a corner fireplace and don't want speaker wire running down my wall.

I recently acquired a PSW350 subwoofer that I want to incorporate that I will have to cross/over with either one of my front or rear speakers. My front's already have 6.5" powered subs so I didn't know if that would be redundant, but I also don't know if rear speakers carry a lot of LFE that would make use of a powered sub....

Any suggestions?!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

For stereo listening, anything in the sub's range will (obviously) be in the front two channels. For home theater use, the LFE are a channel to themselves (the .1), which you can route wherever you feel like with your receiver by setting those speakers to "large". Therefore, I would set your fronts to large and cross the sub over from there.

That said, depending on where you place your sub, it may be easiest just to hook it up to the receiver directly and set everything else to "small".

When I ran the audessy system on my Yamaha 667 it set all speakers to large as it is. I don't want to end up with muddy bass if I cross over with speakers that already have powered woofers....

Member Sales Rating: (1)

A crossover will route the frequencies below (roughly) the crossover point to the sub and those frequencies above to the mains. Bass clarity should be improved, not muddied. I have neither heard your speakers or used Audessy, but I would still wager you would be better off setting the surrounds and center to small.

You'll want to hook up the sub to the LFE for sure. Rerun the audessy and see what you get.
    If you ran the audessy before without a dedicated (ie hooked up to the sub output) sub woofer than I'd guess it would set all of the speakers to large by default.
    RTi70's waiting for 11.1(hopefully replaced by RT3000P's)

Thread Information