Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Question EAC vs Dbpoweramp

OK, I know there are currently a few threads, but not sure which route to go.. , now that I have my NAS and my USB DAC, I want to be able to rip to FLAC for my 2 channel system and also do a conversion to 320kpbs MP3 for mine and the wifes Ipods, which of these 2 programs would be the best and most accurate at doing this as they seem to get the most love? Not sure yet what progam i'm going to be using for playback, but it won't be Itunes, mostly considering Media Monkey and Foobar currently though Jriver seems to get a lot of love as well.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I used to do the same thing - I used EAC for ripping, and dbPowerAmp for the transcoding.

However, it really got to the point where it became too much of a pain in the neck. So much work every time you want to listen to a cd.

I switched to using ALAC, and do my ripping with iTunes now, with error correction turned off. Not quite the same as EAC, but close enough for me, 3000 cd's later. And now instead of transcoding to mp3 for the ipods, I let iTunes transcode the ALAC to 128kb AAC on the fly whenever I put something on the iPhone. There's an option in iTunes to do that for you.

I play via a Squeezebox. Squeezebox plays ALAC, so I'm fine there. And now no need to maintain a second copy of my library at a lower bitrate just to put on portable devices, iTunes does it all for me. Soooooo much simpler.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

EAC to rip to FLAC.

Foobar for FLAC playback

Foobar for FLAC to MP3 conversion for Zunes and iPods. Having the same program for playback and transcoding is pretty convenient, I think.

Actually, I have a Squeezebox now and rarely use Foobar for playback, but still use it to correct tags and for transcoding.

For FLAC to MP3 conversion, I have Foobar use the LAME encoder to create variable bit rate (VBR) MP3's at the highest quality setting, which averages around 235 kbps. VBR is cool because it lowers the bitrate a bit during quite passages and maximizes the bitrate during complex passages, making efficient use of file size.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I finally went with WINamp. It tags very well, rips fine, and plays fine. WINamp also plays nice with Ipods.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Well I was actually hoping to eliminate the Transcoding since dbpoweramp has a multi encoder which allows you to encode two at the same time Ie FLAC and MP3, I didn't know if EAC, or any other ripper, had this option as well or not.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I rip with DBpoweramp
    I tag/play/manage/convert with MediaMonkey

I also use MediaMonkey to manage my iPod (it will do FLAC -> MP3 conversion on the fly).
    [ My Rigs ] Balanced Audio Technology | Revel | Dodd | Monarchy | PS Audio | MIT | Polk | Etc.

so then the ipod will sync with media monkey then, just like it does for itunes?

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Yes, MediaMonkey sinks with any generation ipod. My entire library is in FLAC, and when I want to add songs to my iPod, I just highlight the songs, and click "send to iPod." MM automatically converts them to MP3 and transfers them over to my iPod.
    [ My Rigs ] Balanced Audio Technology | Revel | Dodd | Monarchy | PS Audio | MIT | Polk | Etc.

wow.. well then I will have to give it a try then.. thanks!

Thread Information