I'm going to document my LFE project in this thread. I got my inspiration from the combination of three different builds. One gave me the basic idea of building it into something other than a generic box, the second gave me the idea of black gloss and wood framing, and the last gave me the idea of using TC Sounds' LMS Ultra 5400 and the matching VMP 18" PRs, along with the usage of the I-Tech amplifier.
Graham, a member at hometheatershack.com, is helping me with the design. He came up with all of these drawings yesterday just with the info I've fed him through PMs sent back and forth. It'd be scary to see what we could come up with, and how quickly we could come up with it, if we were working side by side.
I digress, here's the first few shots, starting from the most basic to a nearly complete look, and some shots of the bracing that will be implemented. Needless to say, It's going to be built more solid than any enclosure I've seen to this day.
For the record, the enclosure will be be built using 1" MDF. The front will be double faced, maybe even triple.
Initial bracing system added:
I was a little concerned though, because I want this enclosure rock solid vs. a front firing driver and two PRs, so the bracing was upgraded:
Minor added details not in the mockup:
The sides and back will be the piano-black gloss just like the front. Small neodymium magnets will be integrated just under the paint and matching magnets will be fixed to a grill so that it can be added or removed without any mounting hardware visible. I hadn't decided where to put the binding posts, but I was thinking the bottom of the enclosure would be a good idea.
I'm sure you'll notice the horizontal panels installed to reduce the volume of the enclosure within the overall unit. In his initial setups, you'll also noticed he braced that space between the interior baffles and the outer panel with small pieces of wood. Without these, the enclosure's volume will be way too large. I was a little worried about the integrity of this, so I tried to figure some ways around it. My initial thought was to just fill it with MDF sheet...
Here's the picture I sent to Graham to indicate exactly what I was talking about:
...however, in my current mockup's state, the unit is a little taller than I would like, so tomorrow Graham and I are going to work to shorten it some.