Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Using a 5 channel amp to power L/R/C

Before you shoot me, as this topic has been covered many times, I did do a search on this and read about 20+ threads on this subject before posting .

Here is the deal:

I currently have a Carver 5 channel amp capable of doing 125 x 5 @ 8ohm with all channels driven. It is connected to a Integra receiver. I currently am only using it to drive my front 3 speakers and dont really plan on changing that. I figure the Integra which is rated 125x7 can handle a pair of Monitor 40 surrounds in a 5.1 setup without any issues, especially since thats all its got to power.

The current speakers for my Left and Right are Monitor 60?s which are 8 ohm 90db efficient speakers but am looking to upgrade my fronts in the next couple months and not sure what efficiency or ohm rating I will end up with yet...

Here is the question: Is it better to use just 3 of the 5 channels, or is it better to use all 5 channels and split the Front Left and Front Right signal to 4 of the 5 channels (2 channels per each front left/right speaker + 1 for the center) using only the Carver amp?

I am wanting to make sure I am not limiting the power draw ability of the low frequencies (which you need more power to produce) to give power to the highs/tweeter (which doesn?t draw nearly as much power as the lows). My thought is that if I am only using 3 channels it allows each channel to have a higher wattage of power to draw from as needed and that using all 5 channels changes this a bit.

But since the speakers only draw what they need shouldnt adding the tweeter on its own dedicated channel on the amp not make a big difference due to the small power draw it has?

Also if I get speakers that are not as efficient as the Monitor 60's would running 2 channels of the amp to each of my Left and Right speakers be more worth it than my current situation or no?

I am currently running 2 channels from the amp to each Left and Right and while it seemed to make a difference to my ears, I am not sure if I am just not hearing what I want to hear to justify running it this way.
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 02-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would leave it as is. Your speakers are easy to drive and will only soak up x amount of power, regardless if you fed them 1000 watts. The integra alone has enough to power them. When you start getting into more power hungry speakers is where the amp will shine. I've had the same amp, nice too,hang onto it.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I would leave it as is
    So I should leave it with all 5 channels being used, 2 for the left, 2 for the right, and 1 for the center is what your saying correct?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Hook up the back speakers & see if you hear a difference. If not, put it back to its orig configuration.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I have a upa 5 and it does not make a diff when at low to moderate volumes in comparison to my avr . You only get an improvement when you really crank up the juice .

I would run all 5 channels on the upa5 as the power for ht rarely uses all channels at the same time .Amps beat avrs anyday

Thread Information