Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Digital music management

Ok, I'm through phase one of my digital music clean-up/reorganization. I copied everything from the computer that all my kids share for iTunes to another computer that doesn't have iTunes installed. I uninstalled Squeezebox Server from the original computer and installed it on my new location. I've deleted duplicate files and done some re-tagging. Whew!

I've realized that some of my music was ripped years ago at bit rates that I'm not too pleased with now - a lot is at 192 kbps VBR. Unfortunately, some is mp3 and some is m4a... yuck. My Amazon purchases are 256 kbps VBR with some (CBR). I know most of you don't like mp3, because it's lossy. Personally, I'm ok with 256 or higher, but considering that some time down the road I might acquire some nicer gear, should I begin re-ripping my favorite CDs to a lossless format? FLAC I guess?

Also, I'm tiring of EAC and Mp3tag, and thinking of going with the all-in-one solution a lot of you recommended - MediaMonkey - should I go free or drop $20 to get the full version?

Thanks!
    Ed
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've got my collection in FLAC, because storage is so cheap there's really no reason not to, but I've never found a song for which I could successfully ABX v2 and FLAC rips. I'd say there's no hurry to rerip everything.

I recommend Foobar2000 for your media player. It's very light weight and does basically whatever you want it to. No need to spend money on one.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I use WINamp for everything.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I really like MediaMonkey, it's not perfect though....
    I had some errors on several cd's the first time through. Once disaster hit, and I found myself re-ripping, I used EAC for the error correction, and accuracy checks.

I still use MM for playback, organization, etc. (everything else, basically)
    I find it well worth the $$. Though, if you opt for the paid version, I'd go for the $40 lifetime upgrade version. Either one is good for up to 3 computers.

There are other options too, JRiver, dB Poweramp, and others. I'm sure users of those will chime in here soon enough.

Once you get everything juuuuust the way you want it, and I cannot stress this enough, MAKE BACKUPS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post
    Once you get everything juuuuust the way you want it, and I cannot stress this enough, MAKE BACKUPS!!!!
    No kidding! I'm going to run a backup tonight on the current state, just in case...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

+1. I burn every 25GB of music to a blu-ray disc, and tuck them away in a CD case in my closet lol.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I struggled at first with my digital files trying various software until I got some recommendations from a fellow that has been at this for many years (blakeh). I now use Media Monkey Gold for playback on the PC and organizing/tagging, and dBpoweramp for ripping.

If you don't need any of the features found in the Gold (pay version) of MM, just get the free version. Here is the compare link.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/...aylz9k9lsy9rlo

A big YES on those backups!
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 03-07-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (6)

MM for playback and dBpoweramp for ripping (.flac) here, too. Has proven to be a great combo imo.

I feel like there are still some features of MM I've yet to discover that will make it an ever better choice, but I've still been satisfied with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Thanks guys! But, why dBpoweramp for ripping? I'm going to download the free version of MediaMonkey tonight, and I see that it rips to FLAC, too. What's not to like about MM's ripping/FLAC-encoding capability?

I know that the EAC program I used for years also supports FLAC, but the interface isn't quite as user-friendly as I'd like. I know some people prefer EAC for ripping, due to its accuracy, though. Maybe I should continue to rip to WAV with EAC, and then encode with something else...

I use Db poweramp, and like it alot.. It uses accurate rip so you'll know if you get a good rip for most of your CDs.. its free for the first 21 days if you want to get a feel for it.

I'm still trying to decide which player I like better, right now i'm switching between winamp and MM, but i want to try foobar as well.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Reported ddjond2 in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
    +1. I burn every 25GB of music to a blu-ray disc, and tuck them away in a CD case in my closet lol.
    It's probably just as good to back up to another harddrive?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

I'm not so concerned about using anything as a player, since I rarely listen to music on my pc.

So accuraterip is available with dBpoweramp too... I'm assuming that MediaMonkey's ripping function doesn't have accuracy checking?

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    It's probably just as good to back up to another harddrive?
    That's all I do. Of course, they're in the same room, so it's not 100% secure - fire... but if that happens, I have worse problems!

I hear ya. I have been ripping alot lately and I have a second HD in my puter for backup. I really need to get on the ball and get an external HD that I can stash somewhere. Too much time involved to re rip them all.
    Thanks
    Ben

You aint kidding.. before this website opened my eyes, i had already ripped my entire CD collection to mp3, and that had taken long enough, now i'm reripping it all again into lossless for me and high bit rate mp3 for the wife, and its just so time cosuming. that's another reason I really like Dbpoweramp, you can do multiencoding at the same time so I have a folder for FLAC and a folder for mp3 and the rips go to both at the same time,this way my wife can use Itunes to put music on her ipod.

Thread Information