Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Amp vs Surge Protector

Is it a bad idea to hook an amplifier (say a B&K Video 5 rated 5x100wpc) into a surge protector? If it's ok to use some surge protectors how do you tell which ones are ok to use?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by stangjason; 03-11-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

Not only should you consider the current rating of the Amp and surge protector but also the in rush current of the amp when powered up. I have seen many amps go south due to to little current. I used an underated supply and when I turned up the gain other equipment on the strip would actually turn off and the surge would sound the alarm.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I have my amp(adcom 5503) plugged into my surge protecter(monster mkii 1100 I think) and haven't had any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip8812 View Post
    Not only should you consider the current rating of the Amp and surge protector but also the in rush current of the amp when powered up. I have seen many amps go south due to to little current. I used an underated supply and when I turned up the gain other equipment on the strip would actually turn off and the surge would sound the alarm.

I figure the amp and the DirectTV box to trigger it would be the only two items plugged into it. The rest of my electronics will stay on the HT surge protector I have them on.

Here is the rating of the surge protector I may use.
    Specifications
    Continuous Duty Electrical Rating: 120V~/15A/60Hz/1800W
    Maximum Energy Dissipation: 1080 Joules . H-N: 360 Joules
    . H-G: 360 Joules
    . N-G: 360 Joules
    UL Clamping Voltage (3-line): UL 1449 400V
    UL Listed to U.S. and Canada Safety Standards: UL 1449, UL 1363

Oh and thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think everyone on here knew about as much as I do about this stuff.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

Since you mentioned Direct tv box..... I would Strongly look at a protector /arrestor on the phone and coax line. I have spent 20+ years in the field and I would say 90+ % of surge damage doesnt come from AC line but from low voltage lines (phone, coax...).

1800W continuous - What is the Amps and the DTV consumption? I assume you are well under this but I would double check the amps rating. Most ratings are either Max or Average that part can be a bit harder to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip8812 View Post
    Since you mentioned Direct tv box..... I would Strongly look at a protector /arrestor on the phone and coax line. I have spent 20+ years in the field and I would say 90+ % of surge damage doesnt come from AC line but from low voltage lines (phone, coax...).

1800W continuous - What is the Amps and the DTV consumption? I assume you are well under this but I would double check the amps rating. Most ratings are either Max or Average that part can be a bit harder to determine.
    Yeah I have a phone line protector on my other surge protector but I may need to check and ensure they are hooked up. I'll have to look for teh B&K and DTV boxes consumption ratings.

I can't find a B&K Video 5 manual but I did find the B&K AV5000 which may be similar.

The current of the AV5000 is rated Amps=28, peak-peak=14.
    Voltage Gain: 28
    Line Power, Fuse: 120VAC, 12A Slo Bio
    Weight: 35lbs (B&K Video 5 is heavier I believe and older if that's any indication of something).

Member Sales Rating: (43)

An amp should be plugged directly into the wall. Nearly all manufactures will tell you this.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    An amp should be plugged directly into the wall. Nearly all manufactures will tell you this.
    Yeah I suppose I'll leave it on most of the time or tell my wife to hit the power button on it if she wants sound. She's more open to hitting a power button vs using the 4 remotes we have.

Thread Information