Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default 2011 March Madness: Official Club Polk Tournament Challenge @ ESPN

Welcome fellow CP'ers... This is for forum bragging rights and a possible $10,000 first prize (courtesy of ESPN... not me).

ESPN's site is now open for selections, so I have set up a 'Public' group for CP. It is imaginatively enough called "Club Polk 1". If for some reason I have to make it 'Private', this year our password is "Matthew". (A good use for the old SOPA technique*... ;) )

General info can be found HERE. You must have an ESPN Account to enter, but no biggie... in my experience ESPN does not bombard you with SPAM or shop your addy around.

This year you can create 10 entries. There may be an easier way to create and join entries, but the following will work...

Once you are logged in, you can go to the Rules page and click on the Registration link. Repeat as necessary. It seems easiest to create all entries first and assign them to our group later. Please use your CP screen name when you label your entries, e.g., Tour2ma 1, Tour2ma 2, etc.

Click on 'Frontpage' to see your list and assign them to our group. When assigning your entries, type "Polk" in the search window; highlight 'Club Polk 1'; enter; click on the 'Join This Group' button. Then you can click on 'Frontpage' and repeat.

The Club Polk group will starts off unlocked, so if you have already created entries, you may move them into our group. However, once the tourney starts, all groups will be locked and there will be no movement in, or out.

Remember you can create up to ten entries.

Good Luck and Let's have some fun...

__________________________________________________ _______________

* For those not familiar with the SOPA technique, left click and drag your pointer acoss the blank area to reveal the "hidden" password.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Old School

Slight correction to post one...

The group/ entries are locked at the start of the round on 64 on Thursday. Tonite's play-in games do not lock anything.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (3)

In. This is my only bracket this year; should be interesting.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Count me in.

I'm in! Go Buckeyes!!

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000

Just an idea... I think it might be a bit more interesting if everyone just submitted one bracket to the group and then proceeded to make nine other brackets for their personal attempt at the ESPN challenge. I say this after already submitting a second one and seeing how clustered it might become. That... and it would be fair to say that very first bracket would be the most "sincere" one.

Then again, I might change my mind the next minute.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I'm in!

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo0530 View Post
    I'm in! Go Buckeyes!!
    Back at ya... Went with them in all 10 entries...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo0530 View Post
    I'm in! Go Buckeyes!!
    Absolutely! Go Bucks!! All in, too.

Go Cards!!!

Old School

First bracket buster just ended...

Morehead St. . 62
    Louisville........ 61

Already three very good games... two with great endings...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

I feel like vomiting right now.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    First bracket buster just ended...

Morehead St. . 62
    Louisville........ 61

Already three very good games... two with great endings...
    Well...there's one bracket down the tubes. Had Lousiville going to the final four based on their performance in the big east tourney.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Penn State..............................wtf........

The problem with the UofL game is that it was a doomed match-up. An in-state underdog with more than its fair share of players who probably hoped to play for the Cards, but were told they didn't have the chops.

That... and after losing Buckles (our best rebounder) a few games back, we have been absolutely terrible off the glass. So why not just face off against the NCAA division I RECORD HOLDER FOR REBOUNDS (Faried) right off the bat? That kid is a beast.

I can honestly say I had a terrible feeling about this game going in. The only solace I can find right now is that Princeton is hanging with UK. I hope Ashley Judd gets strangled with a banjo string.
    Last edited by zombie boy 2000; 03-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Old School

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Not sure what you have to grouse about, ZB2k... you're still tied for #1... Did you already spend the $10k?

The carnage continued for me:
    - Zags bounced St Johns
    - Tuned into the A&M - Fla St game about 8 minutes into the game and the score was 7 - 2.... and the Ags had the 2!!!! And they proceeded to lose...

At least my Buckeye's barely had to break a sweat this afternoon. Keep it going boys...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Well, my bracket is F'd, but at least the Buckeyes looked very good!

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000

Old School

Just to make us feel better....

Out of nearly 6MM submitted brackets @espn, after 32 games there are now no perfect entries. There were 2 left before VCU KO'd Georgetown.

There are only 19 entries that have picked 31 of the 32 games correctly.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Louisville was my killer, had them going to elite 8.

I must've been smoking something when I did this bracket, I have gonzaga going to the elite 8 wtf. Can I change my bracket now

Go pitt! tough game against butler
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27

So far I've picked a couple of good upsets in one of my brackets. Richmond (12), Marquette (11), Gonzaga (11) and Florida State (10). Every sweet 16 and elite 8 are still alive except for Louisville going into todays round for both brackets I submitted.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

St. Johns absolutely crushed me. I was trying to be clever and had them losing to Duke in the championship.

Fail...

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    So far I've picked a couple of good upsets in one of my brackets. Richmond (12), Marquette (11), Gonzaga (11) and Florida State (10). Every sweet 16 and elite 8 are still alive except for Louisville going into todays round for both brackets I submitted.
    So you are claiming to be "fast_sas"? Clear violation of the entry rules which may result in disqualification... :tongue:

I have one competitive bracket left. If Michigan beats Duke, then I still have a shot... fairly sizable IF there...

Random thoughts on the tourney....
    - Big East? Big deal...
    - PAC 10 is much better than I thought they were.
    - It's too bad Morehead and Richmond had to meet in "Round 3".
    - The officiating has been outstanding. (Only times I've screamed at the tube involved Butler's super-flopper, Howard.)

Non-Random Thoughts...

The selection committee should be limited to four bids per conference excepting extrraordinary circumstances, e.g., five in the top 25. I'm tired of seeing the sixth best team (let alone the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th) in a major conference take a slot in lieu of the second place team in a lesser. The sixth place teams so rarely overcome their sixth place talent...

That the NCAA is calling yesterday's and today's play "Round 3" tells you where the tourney is headed... and that sucks. A field of sixty-four was plenty. The one "play-in" game was cool. But now four play-ins, soon to be 16, then 32... no.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma
    So you are claiming to be "fast_sas"? Clear violation of the entry rules which may result in disqualification... :tongue:
    Since you set this up you need to speak to ESPN and tell them they need to release "shack" (or any one of the hundred unavailable variations) for my sole use. BTW...the last two times this thing was played here at CP, fast_sas was the winner. A precedent has been established!

The selection committee should be limited to four bids per conference excepting extrraordinary circumstances, e.g., five in the top 25. I'm tired of seeing the sixth best team (let alone the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th) in a major conference take a slot in lieu of the second place team in a lesser. The sixth place teams so rarely overcome their sixth place talent...
    I disagree. Many of the 5th, 6th, etc teams from the major conferences are teams that have won or been final 4 contenders. I would rather see them and I could care less about team 2 from the minor conferences. If nothing else...just look at the "also rans" in the NIT. None of the minor conference teams have ever won it...always a middle of the pack from the majors or on the rare occurance like last year...a mid-major.

That the NCAA is calling yesterday's and today's play "Round 3" tells you where the tourney is headed... and that sucks. A field of sixty-four was plenty. The one "play-in" game was cool. But now four play-ins, soon to be 16, then 32... no.
    The "play-in" games are stupid. I never watch them as they are meaningless. All that will happen will be the tourney will continue to be watered down. 64 was plenty...adding more games is pointless.

The "play-in" games are stupid. I never watch them as they are meaningless. All that will happen will be the tourney will continue to be watered down. 64 was plenty...adding more games is pointless.
    Its a real shame, you have one sport that is making the tournament WAY too big, and another that won't do any playoff format at all..

What is the point of this (besides money money money) if the lowest seed ever to win the tournament was an 8 seed. Hell, Butler was considered a huge underdog cinderella last year and they were a freaking fifth seed. Oh well, what can you do
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27

Ohio State is the Real Deal!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Default NCAA Last 15sec-TX AZ ....BS

NCAA Last 15sec-TX AZ ....BS

The Last 15sec were BS refs and clock counters were way off
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Random thoughts on the tourney....
    - Big East? Big deal...
    More like the Big Bust.

If you look at the conference rankings at the end of the regular season...here is the sweet 16 breakdown for the "big 6" major conferences.

ACC - Top 3 teams still alive - NC, Duke & FSU
    SEC - Top 2 teams still alive - FL & KY
    Big 10 - 2 of top 3 teams still alive - OSU & Wisconsin (3)
    Big 12 - Top team still alive - KU
    PAC 10 - Top team still alive - Arizona
    Big East - Top 8 teams GONE - UConn (9) & Marquette (11)

and UConn and Marquette beat other BE teams to advance.

Overrated comes to mind.

So there are 11 of 16 and the other 5 all come from "strong" mid-major conferences. So much for letting more of the "little guys" in....they don't belong IMO.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by danz1906 View Post
    Ohio State is the Real Deal!
    Yes, they are. So far they've been machine like... but yet to be challenged.

Not that on any given day etc., etc... but from what I've seen so far, Kansas looks to be closest in quality.

Love Diebler's new (to me anyway) nickname... "Three-bler"... The kid is crazy good... and is much better than average both handling the ball and D'ing-up.

I think Craft is the unsung hero of the team. Starters can't handle George Mason's waterbug of a point guard??? No problem... just put in Craft.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Old School

More like the Big Bust.

If you look at the conference rankings at the end of the regular season...here is the sweet 16 breakdown for the "big 6" major conferences.

ACC - Top 3 teams still alive - NC, Duke & FSU
    SEC - Top 2 teams still alive - FL & KY
    Big 10 - 2 of top 3 teams still alive - OSU & Wisconsin (3)
    Big 12 - Top team still alive - KU
    PAC 10 - Top team still alive - Arizona
    Big East - Top 8 teams GONE - UConn (9) & Marquette (11)

and UConn and Marquette beat other BE teams to advance.

Overrated comes to mind.

So there are 11 of 16 and the other 5 all come from "strong" mid-major conferences. So much for letting more of the "little guys" in....they don't belong IMO.
    fast_sas,
    Who were the number 2's in those five "'strong' mid-majors"?

And here I thought you were making my "little guy" case for me...

There can be legitimate reasons for more than four per conference, e.g., the 5th ranked team's star missed 3 weeks early in the season due to injury and they went 3-6 during his absense.

I think we both agree that 11 was way too many. Who knows how some of those smaller conferences' #2's would have fared... couldn't have been worse...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    Who were the number 2's in those five "'strong' mid-majors"?
    The Mountain West had their top 3 teams - top 2 still around SDSU & BYU

The Atlantic 10 had their top 3 teams - Only Richmond (#3 in A10) left.

The Colonial Athletic had 3 of their top 4 teams - Only VCU (#4 in CA) left.

Horizion had only their #1 team and Butler is still around. The #2 team, Cleveland State, lost in round 2 of the NIT.

No real argument for the little guy in these numbers.

I think we both agree that 11 was way too many. Who knows how some of those smaller conferences' #2's would have fared... couldn't have been worse...
    Yeah...maybe...but then the Big East would have no teams in the sweet sixteen. The NCAA would certainly not allow that to happen to the "Best BB conference in America"...

Thread Information