Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SACDs - Does my PS3 play them?

I have a PS3 I bought in 2008 and it's one of the larger ones. Is this one of the models that plays SACDs? If you need more info how do I check for it?

Oh and if it does, what's a good SACD to purchase if my interests are rock/pop?
    Last edited by stangjason; 03-13-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

If you look at the front of the unit, there should be the SACD emblem to verify if it does. Only the early ones had them.

Yup ... apparently models "CECHF" and lower only.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    If you look at the front of the unit, there should be the SACD emblem to verify if it does. Only the early ones had them.
    Uggh I should have stayed up a little longer last night because now I have to wait till I get home to see if my PS3 has a SACD emblem on it. If I had to guess I would say no it doesn't
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

There are other ways to tell, but I don't remember all of them. If you have 4 USB ports, I believe it also has SACD capabilities. Google it and I'm sure you can narrow it down.

HDD

60GB or 20GB, yes.
    80GB some of the early ones do, the later don't.
    All other HDD sizes don't, IIRC.

2008 was pretty late unless you were buying off of someone's really old stock. I believe they took SACD out some time in October/November 2007.
    Last edited by cheddar; 03-14-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    HDD

60GB or 20GB, yes.
    80GB some of the early ones do, the later don't.
    All other HDD sizes don't, IIRC.

2008 was pretty late unless you were buying off of someone's really old stock. I believe they took SACD out some time in October/November 2007.
    I must have bought one of the lamest PS3s made because I bought the 40GB version. I'm thinking about buying an older broken one and making it into a working one using my PS3. Wonder if all I need is the Blu-Ray Drive?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would say you need the codec/chipsets more than the drive itself. But you might find an old PS3 that doesn't read discs anymore and you could probably swap the drives if you're technical.

Otherwise I'd either look to sell yours and pick up another off CL or a pawnshop, or just pick up a CD or DVD player that plays SACD. Could be had for less than a hundred bucks pretty easily.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by Glowrdr View Post
    I would say you need the codec/chipsets more than the drive itself. But you might find an old PS3 that doesn't read discs anymore and you could probably swap the drives if you're technical.

Otherwise I'd either look to sell yours and pick up another off CL or a pawnshop, or just pick up a CD or DVD player that plays SACD. Could be had for less than a hundred bucks pretty easily.
    Yep. I use a Denon 2900 and it works just fine for me.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Also, if you have the original box, it would have the SACD emblem on that too. I have one of the first gen. 80's and mine supports SACD playback, although I have never tried it. As stated above, the 20's, 60's and first gen. 80's do, the rest don't.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

I've tried the ps3 as an SACD player and it works great. Although I preferred the blu-ray lossless surround track included in the same album.

Fixing up a broken console seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through when you can just go out and get a dedicated SACD player instead. You also might want to try out some of the lossless blu-ray concert disks out there to see if you can appreciate any improvement in high resolution audio with your gear. I'd say try blu-ray audio only disks, but they skew towards classical, not rock/pop.

Thanks for the link

Thread Information