Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 520
  1. #301

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    Had a really Great Ride!!!

    10.38 miles, Gave out 12 cards and burned 1445 Calories!!!

    Only bad part is I swallowed a bug :(
    ...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87112114
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  2. #302

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    2hrs on bike trainer.

  3. #303

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    1/2 P90x chest & back yesterday.
    Today, ran 2 miles in am and 1hr on bike trainer in pm.

  4. #304

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    10.88 Miles, 1703 Calories!!!

    I'd like to do 4000 a day so I can whatever the hell I want!

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87957670
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  5. #305

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Insanity Max Interval Training
    My System Showcase!

    Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

    Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

    Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun

  6. #306

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Lawnmower Push-ups. And when your mower is over a decade old 99 dollar job from Walmart that's never been serviced (except for a change of oil), you're doing some heavy pushing! I'm surprised this thing even 'starts'?

    cnh

  7. #307

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Squats and lunges.

  8. #308

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sykesville, Md
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Lifted shoulders and ran 3 miles

  9. #309

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    1/2 P90x chest & back yesterday.
    Today, ran 2 miles in am and 1hr on bike trainer in pm.
    Sounds like a great workout. Sorry if you posted this before, but what it your main goal right now, losing weight or gaining muscle?

    Right now I'd say I'm getting to about the best shape I ever been. I'm lifting very well and running like a champ. However, you couldn't see that if I took my shirt off. I still have some excess body fat around my midsection, lovehandles, and man titties.( I weigh 170, 5-8 so I'm not over weight per se, I just want to lower my bf%, which is about 18%, while still maintaining muscle growth of course).

    So my diet is the major issue. I've been good with getting protein in my diet, its just I eat too many calories... I did a quick calculation from this website

    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsm...lcalintake.htm

    says I eat almost 2500 calories to maintain my body weight. I'm just worried that cutting these calories will hinder my muscle gains, but I guess less calories, more protein. fatchoweim, does the p90x program have you count calories for you workout plan?
    Last edited by tommyboy; 05-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27

  10. #310

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Sounds like a great workout. Sorry if you posted this before, but what it your main goal right now, losing weight or gaining muscle?
    Neither. All I want to do is cycle and run. I just turned 39 and have no desire to compete but I am signed up for a 67 mile bike ride in June and a 5K in July. Everything else I do is in support of cycling and running with a major emphasis on preventing injury. Honestly, I had to switch over to sports because if I thought of my fitness in terms of weight loss or bodybuilding, I'd probably go mad or lose interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Right now I'd say I'm getting to about the best shape I ever been. I'm lifting very well and running like a champ. However, you couldn't see that if I took my shirt off. I still have some excess body fat around my midsection, lovehandles, and man titties.( I weigh 170, 5-8 so I'm not over weight per se, I just want to lower my bf%, which is about 18%, while still maintaining muscle growth of course).
    I had the same problem only I was 155 at 5'6". I thought I was doing a good job of mentally keeping track of what I eat and eating more salads. However, my iPhone cured me of that illusion. I eat out a lot and most of the salads are worse than the main meals (iPhone lets me surf calorie count before I order).

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    So my diet is the major issue. I've been good with getting protein in my diet, its just I eat too many calories... I did a quick calculation from this website

    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsm...lcalintake.htm

    says I eat almost 2500 calories to maintain my body weight. I'm just worried that cutting these calories will hinder my muscle gains, but I guess less calories, more protein. fatchoweim, does the p90x program have you count calories for you workout plan?
    Counting calories at the beginning was a major pain in the arse but I have an app on my iPhone that I track my calories with. Turns out I typically eat the same things so once I enter what I ate it's very simple to later go back and pull the information up again.

    Only reason why I count calories is because running or cycling up a hill with a muffin top sucks. That's my motivation and I'm hovering around 144, skinny all over except for an inverted T of fat (stomach area and love handles). I probably need to be at 140. The Tanita scale says I'm 17% fat, down from 25%. Not sure that I trust it but it gives me a general idea. Not worried about it.

    Of course, you don't need a fancy smart phone. Just make sure you write it down. When I was doing it in my head, I was typically off by 500 calories on the gain side.

    I did not follow the P90x diet plan which is the #2 reason the program fails for most people (quitting is #1). IIRC, the nutrition plan has more to do with portion control, complex carbs, and protein. I don't think there's any calorie counting. I'll look at it later this weekend and reply back.

    At some point, you're going to need to go into a cutting phase and lose the fat. My recommendation would be to take your maintenance weight calories and subtract 20%. Keep lifting and cut back on cardio to twice a week for 20 min or so. The idea is to reduce calories but maintain muscle mass. If you cut too much calories, you'll stall out (happened to me) and lose muscle mass unless you're a genetic freak (there's always the oddball exception to the rule). If you do too much cardio, you'll stall out because there's no fuel (calories) for all that running and weight lifting. Or go get P90x and follow the exercise and diet program. Or go on bodybuilding.com and following the advices on the forum. Lotsa options.

  11. #311

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Ran 2 miles this morning at a blistering (to me, ha!) 9:13 minute mile. Fastest pace ever in my life beyond a 50 yard dash. Avg heart rate was 163! I'm usually jogging at a comfortable 12 minute mile with an avg heart rate around 141. Felt great. No pains nor aches.

    Helped that it was 61 degrees this morning. Am not looking forward to the summer heat. Got company tonight so no cycling. :(

  12. #312

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    More Lawnmower push ups today and probably some treadmill work later. As for dieting. I NEVER count calories anymore...let's face it, after several decades on the planet you pretty much 'know' when you're being 'bad'. Cut the sugar, cut the processed foods, cut the desserts, eat quality protein, fruits and vegetables and whole grains--but not to excess. Drink plenty of no-calorie liquids (preferably, water) and you're good!

    I am actually dieting, currently, because I've been bad and gained a few pounds (5-6) so I've booted the old patterns back up. The other thing to worry about is once you get over 40, let alone over 50 (lol), you MUST ABSOLUTELY eat LESS regardless of who you are and what you do--unless you're one of those HYPER-metabolism guys who's been rail thin all his life.

    That's the problem most of us face--we have to start eating like an 'old' dude even if we don't feel or look 'old'. Damn!

    cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 05-26-2011 at 06:05 PM.

  13. #313

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    At some point, you're going to need to go into a cutting phase and lose the fat. My recommendation would be to take your maintenance weight calories and subtract 20%. Keep lifting and cut back on cardio to twice a week for 20 min or so. The idea is to reduce calories but maintain muscle mass. If you cut too much calories, you'll stall out (happened to me) and lose muscle mass unless you're a genetic freak (there's always the oddball exception to the rule). If you do too much cardio, you'll stall out because there's no fuel (calories) for all that running and weight lifting. Or go get P90x and follow the exercise and diet program. Or go on bodybuilding.com and following the advices on the forum. Lotsa options.
    Thanks for the advice. I typically run twice a week (average between 4-5 miles) and go bike riding when the weather allows me. I really don't want to cut back that much on my cardio though, not because I believe it will lose me more weight. I just feel better overall when my cardiovascular system is in good shape. That could be a worry though as you said with burning myself out, so maybe adding a few hundred calories on days I do run and bike will do the trick?

    Anyways, since I don't have the handy Iphone (sadly), I joined up onto this website, caloriecount.com. Pretty much has every food in the book, and if you can't find it, you can find something comparable or make a custom food. Hopefully this does me justice. Yesterday I finished with 1850 calories with a goal of 2200. My total calories burned according to this is 2600 so I had a deficit of around 800. This was my first day so it was kinda tough to do (I didn't want to overstuff myself late at night to meet my quota). So today I should be closer to a 500 calorie deficit.

    Thanks again for the advise, and I'll try to keep you posted
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27

  14. #314

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    699

    Default

    I honestly think people obsess over calorie intake and calories burned too much. There's a lot more to being healthy and being in shape than calorie intake and calories burned. A LOT more.

    It's far more important to focus on the quality of the food you're eating, and the quality and variety of your exercise program. There are a lot of crappy low calorie processed foods that are passed off as healthy these days (ie slimfast, anything with artificial sweeteners)..stuff that despite the calorie content, your body doesn't process well, doesn't utilize efficiently for energy, and can hinder the quality of your exercise.

    Also, people get stuck in a trend of doing the same work-outs over and over, and become so fixated on how many calories a machine is telling them they burned off. A lot of runners are stuck in this mentality. The only way to perpetually evoke change in your body is to constantly challenge your body with different types of exercise and to strengthen different aspects and energy systems in your body.That's far more important than the number of calories a machine tells you you're burning while exercising. I challenge people who can run long distances to try interval training. I think most will be surprised at how much a couple 1 minute spurts at full sprint will kick your ass far more than a 1 hour jog. Anyone that wants to lose fat and retain muscle should do intervals. Long bouts of aerobic exercise burns muscle off. Short bouts of high intensity cardio (intervals) do not.

    I also challenge a lot of heavy weight lifters to see how much a round of circuit training or ashtanga yoga kicks their asses too.

    Stop obsessing over calories and the variations of your weight on a scale. Focus on your performance. Listen to your body, and eat foods that enhance your performance. If you exercise well, you will feel the effects of eating too much, too little, or if you ate poor quality food. If your performance starts to plateau, change up your exercise routine and/or diet appropriately. Improve your performance, improve your health.
    Last edited by mystik610; 05-27-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    My System Showcase!

    Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

    Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

    Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun

  15. #315

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    Reported #315 for SPAM!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  16. #316

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    12.8 Miles today, 1435 Calories!!!

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88326881
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  17. #317

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    Went on another ride, most likely around 3 miles. Didn't wear my watch so i don't know how many calories.

    Lots of fun at night time with the Fibre Flares on the Street Strider!

    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  18. #318

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Ran 7 miles.

  19. #319

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Chased after my dog that escaped from our apartments backyard.....

  20. #320

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richardson, TX.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    I honestly think people obsess over calorie intake and calories burned too much. There's a lot more to being healthy and being in shape than calorie intake and calories burned. A LOT more.

    It's far more important to focus on the quality of the food you're eating, and the quality and variety of your exercise program. There are a lot of crappy low calorie processed foods that are passed off as healthy these days (ie slimfast, anything with artificial sweeteners)..stuff that despite the calorie content, your body doesn't process well, doesn't utilize efficiently for energy, and can hinder the quality of your exercise.

    Also, people get stuck in a trend of doing the same work-outs over and over, and become so fixated on how many calories a machine is telling them they burned off. A lot of runners are stuck in this mentality. The only way to perpetually evoke change in your body is to constantly challenge your body with different types of exercise and to strengthen different aspects and energy systems in your body.That's far more important than the number of calories a machine tells you you're burning while exercising. I challenge people who can run long distances to try interval training. I think most will be surprised at how much a couple 1 minute spurts at full sprint will kick your ass far more than a 1 hour jog. Anyone that wants to lose fat and retain muscle should do intervals. Long bouts of aerobic exercise burns muscle off. Short bouts of high intensity cardio (intervals) do not.

    I also challenge a lot of heavy weight lifters to see how much a round of circuit training or ashtanga yoga kicks their asses too.

    Stop obsessing over calories and the variations of your weight on a scale. Focus on your performance. Listen to your body, and eat foods that enhance your performance. If you exercise well, you will feel the effects of eating too much, too little, or if you ate poor quality food. If your performance starts to plateau, change up your exercise routine and/or diet appropriately. Improve your performance, improve your health.
    You make some good points, but also miss some points. Some of us are, or at least I am, focused on sport-specific fitness. So varying my workouts away from building fitness in my chosen sport are of limited utility. That doesn't mean I only do workouts in my chosen sport, but all workouts I do are designed to enhance my sport-specific workouts. Working core muscules, for example, it important in every sport, but gets neglected a lot. And I have no problem constantly invoking change, assuming by that you mean building fitness, in my body. But a point to make here is that fitness cannot always increase. If you try it, you'll end up overtrained. You build fitness then let the body recover. Fitness will decrease slightly during this recovery phase, but you keep most of the gain, then you repeat the cycle.

    But most importantly, if you're plateuing, it may also be due to lack of recovery. This is actually where most atheletes mess up. As far as tracking calories, it useful from the standpoint of helping to plan your recovery and knowing how hard you were working, but the statement that your body will tell you if you're eating too much or too little assumes that you're in tune with your body to that degree. Most people, even athletes, are not, in my experience. And that includes me. But I'm also not a calorie counter. I just keep a kind of general track and don't worry too much about it. But at the same time, if I burn 5-6000 calories in a workout, knowing that can be useful.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

    SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

    Open for editing.

  21. #321

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richardson, TX.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Hardest workout in a year and a half yesterday. 28.6 miles in a nasty wind, and burned 2222 calories. It was also my first group ride in that same time frame, and I managed to finish with the group. May have hurt myself doing it though, since my heart rate was significantly higher than it should have been (as in planned) for much of the work out. So easy day today, but doing about the same distance. Probably end up taking 3-4 hours today with the wind we've got around here. Heading out shortly, but wind is predicted to hit 20 mph by noon. Ick.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

    SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

    Open for editing.

  22. #322

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    336

    Default

    just bought my first road bike...it's used but a well kept Trek SL1000. now if it would just stop raining...also started back to running and with any luck will be able to do a "starter" triathalon in August.

  23. #323

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421

    Default

    Here's a video I shot of my Wife's uncle riding the Street Strider

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UXa...e_gdata_player

    Sal
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  24. #324

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post

    but the statement that your body will tell you if you're eating too much or too little assumes that you're in tune with your body to that degree. Most people, even athletes, are not, in my experience.
    This is what I'm shooting for. I don't plan on counting calories this extensively for more than a few weeks. I'm just trying to see how much I'm really eating, and learn ways to cut back to an average calorie intake for my body type.


    Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
    Hardest workout in a year and a half yesterday. 28.6 miles in a nasty wind, and burned 2222 calories. It was also my first group ride in that same time frame, and I managed to finish with the group. May have hurt myself doing it though, since my heart rate was significantly higher than it should have been (as in planned) for much of the work out. So easy day today, but doing about the same distance. Probably end up taking 3-4 hours today with the wind we've got around here. Heading out shortly, but wind is predicted to hit 20 mph by noon. Ick.
    2222 calories? really? If you burnt that much,wouldn't you have to eat pretty much a whole days worth of food just keep your body running... I just went bike riding for 20 miles yesterday in the hilly area of pittsburgh (some are really rough), and I assumed I burnt around 600ish. Underassumption maybe?
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27

  25. #325

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    336

    Default

    loving this thread...I have been a yoyo weight loss guy all of my life...now I find myself 59 years old and wanting to stop the pattern and just live a healthy lifestyle. I've started with running which I am loving and running a 5K next Saturday. As mentioned above I just purchased a good road bike and will be starting on it this week (if the rain stops or the ark has a track). At 245lbs and about 5'10" I am figuring I would love to get to and maintain 180lbs. any suggestions on training regimens? since I am new at biking...what is considered a good starting pattern of distance?

  26. #326

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    This is what I'm shooting for. I don't plan on counting calories this extensively for more than a few weeks. I'm just trying to see how much I'm really eating, and learn ways to cut back to an average calorie intake for my body type.




    2222 calories? really? If you burnt that much,wouldn't you have to eat pretty much a whole days worth of food just keep your body running... I just went bike riding for 20 miles yesterday in the hilly area of pittsburgh (some are really rough), and I assumed I burnt around 600ish. Underassumption maybe?
    Typical caloric intake for me is 2500-3000 calories (to maintain). If I were to bike or run and burn 2200 calories, I could either eat more that day (if I wanted to maintain my weight) or lose a little weight.

    To lose (or gain) one pound of body weight requires a 3500 calorie deficit (or excess). That means to lose about 1-2 pounds per week (a healthy goal) would require about a 500 to 1,000 calorie deficit under what you need per day (need defined as you add what you burn to keep yourself alive and any extra calories you burn working out or just living in general).

    Thats just how it works.

    Exactly how many calories you burn when you work out depends on your starting body weight, sex, age, Heart Rate during excercise and starting body mass (fat to muscle ratio). 2,200 calories for a almost 30 mile ride is well within the realm of possibility though (would be for me anyway).

    Michael
    Last edited by McLoki; 05-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  27. #327

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richardson, TX.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    2222 calories? really? If you burnt that much,wouldn't you have to eat pretty much a whole days worth of food just keep your body running... I just went bike riding for 20 miles yesterday in the hilly area of pittsburgh (some are really rough), and I assumed I burnt around 600ish. Underassumption maybe?
    My basil metabolic rate is about 2200 calories. Another 2200 burned isn't that much for me. When I do 100+ mile rides, I'll burn 5-6000, but that's also when I'm trained. Right now, I'm just starting my training over. And that also means I'm trying to drop about 40 pounds total, but would be pretty happy with 30. That would at least get me back down around 205-210, but I climb much better if I can get to 195-200. Still not a mountain goat, but that at least let's me stay close enough I can catch back on with the front group when things level back out, at least for most of the harder rides/races (same thing, really) that I do. Even with my uneven workouts, I'm down almost 12 so far.

    This was Saturday's route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/35658982/

    This was Sunday's route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/35763398/

    Sunday took a lot longer than Saturday despite being only slightly longer. The group I was with stopped. A lot. But it's all good.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

    SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

    Open for editing.

  28. #328

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richardson, TX.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byfthalone View Post
    loving this thread...I have been a yoyo weight loss guy all of my life...now I find myself 59 years old and wanting to stop the pattern and just live a healthy lifestyle. I've started with running which I am loving and running a 5K next Saturday. As mentioned above I just purchased a good road bike and will be starting on it this week (if the rain stops or the ark has a track). At 245lbs and about 5'10" I am figuring I would love to get to and maintain 180lbs. any suggestions on training regimens? since I am new at biking...what is considered a good starting pattern of distance?
    So, disclaimer, I'm not a coach, and I don't think anyone here is (correct me if I'm wrong), so take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm only posting what's worked for me and what I've been told by my physiologist and team coaches.

    Without knowing more, it's hard to say. Part of that will depend on your current fitness. Best guess for the bike would be to start @ about 30-45 minutes on the bike, and add about 10-15% a week. At your age, you should be doing 2 weeks of building fitness, then 1 week of recovery, with recovery defined as about 1/2 your normal workout load, and nothing even slightly hard. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, for the recovery weeks, ride/run at a pace just below where your breathing starts to change from what's normal to where it becomes deep, but still regular. Another gauge is that you should be able to easily talk. If you do have a heart rate monitor, and you know your max heart rate, then you'd want to stay at or below 60% of your max during the recovery weeks.

    For the on weeks, at least at first, you'd want to stay in the 60-70% heart rate range. You can judge this by where you're breathing starts to deepen, but you can still talk. You'll want to stay in that range for 3-4 months before starting harder workouts. That will let you build some base fitness and get the body used to being on a bike.

    The other important thing is to do, and this cannot be overstated, is to get the bike fit to you. A bike that doesn't fit can tear up your body in a hurry. It will also be uncomfortable to ride, and will tend to cause you to not want to get on the bike. The easiest measure if that if you have any pain whatsoever while on the bike, it doesn't fit you. That includes any numbness anywhere. A really good bike fit will run about 250-300, but they'll check your flexibility, look for leg length differences, etc., and set the bike up to work with the body you have.

    Finally, don't do static stretches before a workout. Static stretching, which is what I see most people do prior to working out, actually decrease muscle strength by up to 30% in the stretched group. And that's aside from the likelyhood of causing an injury by trying to do static stretches on cold muscles. Instead, before a workout, do dynamic stretches, like bouncing on the balls of your feet, etc. Lots of articles on different types of stretches and when to use them online. And save the static stretches for after a workout, when the muscles are warm and more flexible.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

    SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

    Open for editing.

  29. #329

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quad....thanks for the input. I have been off and on training for about a year and a half so not dramatically out of shape. Just time to, even at a late age, to live a lifestyle that is overall healthier.
    The bike I purchased was a consignment bike from one of the local shops that has a great reputation and did take time to make sure the fit was spot on. Was lucky to pick it up and have it work, I guess. I will take the regimen to heart. I got up early today to do my first real ride. I did 10 miles in about 46 minutes and felt pretty good when I finished. I was able to figure out shifting and what does what so I am pleased with that.
    On the stretching...I joined a local running club which has a beginners group and one of the leaders of the group told us the very same...I also see you use MapMyRide...have you ever tried Endomondo and if so how do they compare?
    I look forward to the continued good reads and to report on my progress...thanks again!!!

  30. #330

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,421
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Fitness Software
    By joeparaski in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
  2. Video Miracle Weight Loss Diet.
    By ESavinon in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 10:16 PM
  3. A exercise I do everyday....
    By RuSsMaN in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Yamahas go on a diet new RXV line?
    By cnh in forum Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
  5. Russ's Receiver Diet Plan
    By VR3 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts