Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Trying out a new training program called the 180 forumua. It focuses on your aerobic ability by training your body to use fat as its primary energy source rather than sugar.

You can read a number of articles written by the creator of the plan (Phil Maffetone) here..

Here is a general overview of the plan and how to calculate the heart rate zone you need to stay in

For me - I need to try and keep my heart rate in between 130 and 139. Since it usually hits 160-170+ in any given workout - it was much harder than you would think. HR gets to high - shift gears, then it drops to low - shift gears... Lots of shifting and a bouncing HR. I actually did ok once I got the hang of it, but it is much more difficult than you would think.

Still a great night for a ride (cool, low wind, low traffic, not many bugs (yet))

Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    Trying out a new training program called the 180 forumua. It focuses on your aerobic ability by training your body to use fat as its primary energy source rather than sugar.

You can read a number of articles written by the creator of the plan (Phil Maffetone) here..

Here is a general overview of the plan and how to calculate the heart rate zone you need to stay in

For me - I need to try and keep my heart rate in between 130 and 139. Since it usually hits 160-170+ in any given workout - it was much harder than you would think. HR gets to high - shift gears, then it drops to low - shift gears... Lots of shifting and a bouncing HR. I actually did ok once I got the hang of it, but it is much more difficult than you would think.
    That's basically the goal of my treadmill fat-burning workout. It consists of interval training, with a high intensity interval followed by a lower intensity interval, but with the goal of keeping the heart rate in that target zone, which for me is around 119-129. It uses inclines to vary intensity, with jogging at a 6-8 % incline ,for example, followed by a brisk walking interval at maybe a 3 % incline, and then repeating that over the course of the workout.

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    That's basically the goal of my treadmill fat-burning workout. It consists of interval training, with a high intensity interval followed by a lower intensity interval, but with the goal of keeping the heart rate in that target zone, which for me is around 119-129. It uses inclines to vary intensity, with jogging at a 6-8 % incline ,for example, followed by a brisk walking interval at maybe a 3 % incline, and then repeating that over the course of the workout.
    You can jog at a 6-8% incline and keep your heart rate at 129? Mine would be over 170 with less than 2 min of that....

I have never tried to keep my HR within a 10 bpm range before... it is really much harder than I would have thought. Also - for this to work, all workouts have to stay in that zone for about 3-6 months. (running, riding, swimming, etc...)

I am not sure what will happen to my running time. I just broke the 10min/mile pace (hey, I just started last year) but that is with my HR over 170 for the entire time. Not sure how fast I will be at 139... Probably slightly over a walking pace. (then again - maybe not even that fast...)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)

Member Sales Rating: (5)

All he's saying is that what your body uses for fuel depends on the current metabolic load. You use fat in the lower part of the aerobic zones, then as you move up the zones, start burning carb (sugar), then eventually protein if you push your self into the maximum anaerobic region. This has been well documented by physiologists for some time, and it can't really be changed, as it's based on max heart rate. Also, his formula for age calculated max heart rate is wrong. The correct formula is 220-. However, this is frequently wrong. My age calculated max rate is 174, but it's actually 191. If I used his formula, I would be grossly undertraining. However, at that rate, you will burn fat, no doubt about it, and you'll never get into an overtrained condition, no matter how often or long your work out.

But if you really want to do this, then if your heart rate is jumping around like that, you're probably pushing too big a gear for the workout, and mashing, not spinning. You should stay in the small chain ring, and spin at a fairly high cadence (> 90). That minimizes demands on muscles, and will help keep your heart rate fairly constant. You'll still be shifting a lot, but that's ok. You should be shifting a lot to keep the load constant as you go over rollers/hills, turn into the wind, etc. My ride Sunday was a bit like that. Target HR was 155, averaged 151, and had a max of 160 (that wind really was a bitch) on a loop around a local lake.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
    This has been well documented by physiologists for some time, and it can't really be changed, as it's based on max heart rate. Also, his formula for age calculated max heart rate is wrong. The correct formula is 220-.
    No, he is stating it correctly (well, on purpose anyway) he is not trying to train based on max HR at all. You do not even need to know your max HR to use his "formula". His training is specifically for endurance athletes and how to maximise performance for longer runs and rides. (think marathon runs and century rides)

The use of the number 180 was and is not significant other than as a means to finding the end number. Plus, 180 minus age itself is not a meaningful number; for example, it is not associated with VO2max, lactate threshold, or other traditional measurements. The end number is an athlete’s maximum aerobic heart rate. This is the training heart rate that reflects optimal aerobic training, and a number which, when exceeded, indicates a rapid transition to more anaerobic training. Through the use of this 180 Formula, all athletes can obtain their ideal individual aerobic training rates.
    You can read more about his method here...

Its not like I have any timed competitions coming up that could get messed up and it certainly won't hurt anything (may not help either, but that is the risk of doing anything new). I am looking forward to trying this out. If it works for me - it may be a new way of training for me that will minimize the chance of injury and burnout while still allowing me to get out and exercise for fun. I figured early in the season (like now) is the perfect time to try and pick up something like this.

I will let you know how it ends up going for me. Should have some results (one way or the other) in a month or two.

Michael
    Last edited by McLoki; 04-11-2011 at 11:15 PM.

The 220 - age is to get max heart rate. You usually go 70% of that or so to get to the fat-burning zone. His formula takes you directly to that 70% (or so) of max heart rate, or the fat-burning zone that you want to stay within 10 of (if I read it correctly).

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

You can jog at a 6-8% incline and keep your heart rate at 129? Mine would be over 170 with less than 2 min of that....
    Well I don't know if you'd call what I do a jog. Maybe a fast shuffle? I'm talking 5.4 mph or so. At that speed and incline my feet are coming off of the ground anyway. And I probably do get a little over 129. But you are a lot bigger than me, so I'm sure you'd be working harder

HT system -

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Finished the first week of c25k yesterday. Can't wait for Wednesday go start week 2...
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxis View Post
    Finished the first week of c25k yesterday. Can't wait for Wednesday go start week 2...
    Awesome - congrats. Do you have a 5k picked out for the end of it you are working twords?

The end number is an athlete’s maximum aerobic heart rate. This is the training heart rate that reflects optimal aerobic training, and a number which, when exceeded, indicates a rapid transition to more anaerobic training. Through the use of this 180 Formula, all athletes can obtain their ideal individual aerobic training rates.
    What I'm saying is that this is wrong. Your max aerobic heart rate is a function of your max heart rate, as well as some other factors. Working significantly below that is how you undertrain.

The 220 - age is to get max heart rate. You usually go 70% of that or so to get to the fat-burning zone. His formula takes you directly to that 70% (or so) of max heart rate, or the fat-burning zone that you want to stay within 10 of (if I read it correctly).
    His formula puts you at the very bottom, at best, of the fat burning zone, and for people with max heart rates/lactate threshold well above what the "220-age" formula gives, doesn't even get you up to that. However, since most people (including athletes) are horrible at maintaining a constant heart rate, most people probably get up to where they should be for a significant part of the work out.

For example, with his formula, I should be working out at 126-136. That's a brisk walk/very light jog. It wouldn't even accelerate my breathing to a noticable degree. He also makes another large mistake when he says that the heart naturally trys to maintain 70-80 BPM at rest. Maybe for untrained people, but most endurance athletes have resting heart rates well below that, and that's a fuction of stroke volume and oxygen demand. For the record, my trained resting heart rate is 49. Lance Armstrong's was famously in the low 30's. And that's because, as you train at a level that puts increased demand on the heart, the heart actually gets larger and can pump more blood per stroke (stroke volume).

Now, I get what he's saying about a lot of people using the 220 formula being overtrained, but I think he's mistaken correlation for causation. Most athletes tend to be overtrainined not because they're working out too hard, although that's part of it. Most athletes tend to be overtrained because they don't rest enough. The way you build fitness is by overstressing the body, then giving it time to recover. You don't build fitness by working the body at a level it's able to easily manage.

Anywho, that's just my .02 from working with cardiologists, physiologists, and professional coaches over the years.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Found out my max Clean weight last night - 165lbs. I'm pretty happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Congrats. Strength training is usually a good idea...I've been doing it for most of my life and adjusted weight and routines as I've aged, but not that much.

One of our coaches who was the track coach used to come in and do some weights. He'd do a couple of sets (cleans) with 135lbs and he was a thin guy but he looked good through his retirement years!

Oh, and I was on the stationary bike for 40 minutes yesterday...the weather up here is getting better but the rain is settling in!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 04-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Awesome - congrats. Do you have a 5k picked out for the end of it you are working twords?
    There's one right around my birthday in Oct which gives me more time than needed to be ready and lose extra weight. My real goal is a half marathon next may. I wakeboard all summer so once I can't do that anymore late fall, my focus will shift to running again so I'll be ready after a winter's worth of prep. That's the plan at least.
    Last edited by Toxis; 04-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

What I'm saying is that this is wrong. Your max aerobic heart rate is a function of your max heart rate, as well as some other factors. Working significantly below that is how you undertrain.

His formula puts you at the very bottom, at best, of the fat burning zone, and for people with max heart rates/lactate threshold well above what the "220-age" formula gives, doesn't even get you up to that. However, since most people (including athletes) are horrible at maintaining a constant heart rate, most people probably get up to where they should be for a significant part of the work out.

For example, with his formula, I should be working out at 126-136. That's a brisk walk/very light jog. It wouldn't even accelerate my breathing to a noticable degree. He also makes another large mistake when he says that the heart naturally trys to maintain 70-80 BPM at rest. Maybe for untrained people, but most endurance athletes have resting heart rates well below that, and that's a fuction of stroke volume and oxygen demand. For the record, my trained resting heart rate is 49. Lance Armstrong's was famously in the low 30's. And that's because, as you train at a level that puts increased demand on the heart, the heart actually gets larger and can pump more blood per stroke (stroke volume).

Now, I get what he's saying about a lot of people using the 220 formula being overtrained, but I think he's mistaken correlation for causation. Most athletes tend to be overtrainined not because they're working out too hard, although that's part of it. Most athletes tend to be overtrained because they don't rest enough. The way you build fitness is by overstressing the body, then giving it time to recover. You don't build fitness by working the body at a level it's able to easily manage.

Anywho, that's just my .02 from working with cardiologists, physiologists, and professional coaches over the years.
    Actually I just skimmed the article the first time and thought he was talking about fat-burning. It looks like he's talking about aerobic fitness and in that case it does look too low. His formula puts me right at what most recommend as the fat-burning zone though, of 60-70% of max heart-rate. Using his formula I get 122, so 10 below that makes it a range of 112-122. Using the 220 formula I get 97-113.4. I do get up to around 130-135 bpm occasionally (if I can trust the heart rate monitor on the treadmill). I figure I'm usually at around 113 during the less intense intervals and up to 135 at the intense intervals, which puts me into the aerobic zone for portions of my workout. But I agree that since he's talking aerobic fitness that his formula seems about 20% low.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 04-12-2011 at 03:13 PM.

HT system -

10 windy miles today. Same HR target. This is gonna be a long climb back to some level of fitness. Unless you count "unfit" as a fitness level, that is.

Open for editing.

My daughter has balance issues and never learned to ride a bike (she is 11). Over the winter for her birthday we purchased her a recumbant trike. Not much of a workout for me, but I rode my mountain bike with her while she pedaled 3.5miles to grandma's house. Weather was mid 60's with no wind.

Not much of a workout, but a great way to spend an evening with my daughter. We both had a great time and it was the longest distance she has ridden so far. I was quite proud of her. Really a great night.

Here is a pic of what her bike looks like...

Last edited by McLoki; 04-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Cool... my wife has some balance issues and refuses to ride a bike now. Where'd you get that?

Open for editing.

Cool... my wife has some balance issues and refuses to ride a bike now. Where'd you get that?
    Our local bike store had it. It is made by a company called Sun. The model is an EZ-3. Ours was purchased new but was a model year old (or two) and cost about $700.

My daughter loves it. very stabil up to about 15mph or so. Starts to get to twitchy for comfort above 20. (close to dangerous)

We had a basket added to the back (a requirement of my daughter) and the whole setup works well.

Michael

Here is one on E-Bay very similar to what my daughter has...
    Last edited by McLoki; 04-13-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    Found out my max Clean weight last night - 165lbs. I'm pretty happy with it.
    I'm happy for you. Keep up the hard work!

I just bought one of These:

http://streetstrider.com/videos.php

I can't wait to get it!!!!!

They are getting so popular and the demand is getting higher that the waiting list is 1 month!!! :(

My delivery date is around May 16th to the 18th

They say it is the highest calorie burn out there and lowest impact.

Depending on your weight you can lose 10 to 20 calories per minute.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That looks like it could be fun, Sal. But unfortunately it also looks a bit 'unstable' and cheap in construction. I don't quite understand how one would stabilize its forward movement without swaying back and forth which would probably bother some people as a machine in a gym doesn't have to deal with that--it's fixed.

Tell us what you think when you get it.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    They are getting so popular and the demand is getting higher that the waiting list is 1 month!!! :(
    I'm sure that by the time these people receive theirs, the first batch of people will have realized how much they wasted their money and will be selling theirs for half the money on Craigslist.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

I can't wait to get it!!!!!
    Looks like it's time for you to go buy a helmet and some Coolmax shirts and shorts! Go scout out possible routes, some with hills and some without.

Looking forward to your report when it comes in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    That looks like it could be fun, Sal. But unfortunately it also looks a bit 'unstable' and cheap in construction. I don't quite understand how one would stabilize its forward movement without swaying back and forth which would probably bother some people as a machine in a gym doesn't have to deal with that--it's fixed.

Tell us what you think when you get it.

cnh

This guy did not fall over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrOQRXAarf4

This guy claims this is his first time riding it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZU7ckTW1bg

I don't think I will fall over. The only concern i have is the width of the unit riding on main streets with cars on the road. I may need to look for a park to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    Looks like it's time for you to go buy a helmet and some Coolmax shirts and shorts! Go scout out possible routes, some with hills and some without.

Looking forward to your report when it comes in!!!
    I have a Helmut. I bought the Yellow one. it's the ETX 3R, it has 3 Speeds and the tires are slightly thinner than the 8R. the 8R can support people that are 400LBS. the 3R supports up to 350LBS, the Direct drive version with no gears supports only 250

I also bought 2 of these lights for the Handle bars.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...iw=706&bih=610

And 1 of these for the back of the unit:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/images/p...es/21551_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    I'm sure that by the time these people receive theirs, the first batch of people will have realized how much they wasted their money and will be selling theirs for half the money on Craigslist.
    I hope so, I need to get one for my wife!
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    and cheap in construction

Do you really think it looks cheap in construction?, Those welds look pretty good to me and the hubs and crank set look like top quality stuff.

It weighs 52lbs. I could understand if it weighed 22lbs. But 52lbs is pretty damn heavy.

The frame is built with 6061 T6 Aluminum.
    Attached Images  

Our local bike store had it. It is made by a company called Sun. The model is an EZ-3. Ours was purchased new but was a model year old (or two) and cost about $700.

My daughter loves it. very stabil up to about 15mph or so. Starts to get to twitchy for comfort above 20. (close to dangerous)

We had a basket added to the back (a requirement of my daughter) and the whole setup works well.

Michael

Here is one on E-Bay very similar to what my daughter has...
    Cool, thanks. I'll talk to my wife and see what she thinks about that. She can't drive, so I need to find some other way for her to get around.

Open for editing.

Anywho... so to catch up, I did 25 windy miles Saturday, then about 10 Sunday. Heard from my coach who said the numbers looked very good for Saturday... high cadence throughout the ride and good control of my heart rate.

Friday though was epic. Wind gusts > 25 mph. The fun part was that my route back had me riding downwind, so I was averaging around 30-35 mph heading back in with my HR hovering around 150. Geez... if only I could ride like that all the time, Lance wouldn't stand a chance. :)

Open for editing.

Is there something I can buy that will calculate how many calories I am burning when I walk/jog/ride elliptical ?

Is there something I can buy that will calculate how many calories I am burning when I walk/jog/ride elliptical ?
    Yes. I use a Polar F6 watch with chest strap. McLoki uses a Garmin Forerunner 305 which includes a GPS.

I should clarify, Sal. Heart rate monitors take your heart rate (effort) and the time you worked and compares it with data you've entered such as gender, height, weight, and age in order to calculate calories burned (approximation).

Thread Information