Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default RTI8's on Hardwood Floors

Hi All,

I've had my RTI8's for a few years now and have always had them in my carpeted family room. I am possibly moving in the near future and am concerned about my speaker's spike feet on the nice hardwood floors in the new place. I've been fairly unsuccessful in my search for a solution.

I don't really want to put them on a ceramic tile or something of that nature. Does anyone know of replacement feet that are perhaps rubber or something less abrasive to a wood floor?

Thanks in advance.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

How about these to go under the spikes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971#vi-content

Make sure you get the foam stickies for the bottom of the discs too. I think he wants 25 cents each for the foam.

They might be too small, so you might want to go with the bigger gold ones he talks about.

Here's another nice looking set for $28 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Floor-Discs-Disc...item3a594d782a
    Last edited by Zeros; 03-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    How about these to go under the spikes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971#vi-content

Make sure you get the foam stickies for the bottom of the discs too. I think he wants 25 cents each for the foam.

They might be too small, so you might want to go with the bigger gold ones he talks about.
    Thank you for the great suggestion. Would you happen to use these yourself? Looks like the seller you linked also has a larger size and I'm wondering how they would look with the somewhat fat rti8 spike.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Nope, I've never used them. I do have RTi8's as well and know how big the spikes are though.

Maybe the second set I added would work better?

You could also completely remove the spikes and feet and put the speakers right on the floor, but that obviously defeats the purpose of the spikes. The floors would be OK though.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Oh how I hate hard wood floors as they play such tricks with the sound.

Just a thought but I think I would try some of those things that my parents put on the feet of chairs and couches to protect their hardwood floor. Sorry I don't know what they are called though. If not I would consider getting some scrap carpet possibly free or real cheap from a furniture store and cut out the size I needed. My wife is a kindergarden teacher and she has gotten scrap carpet like this.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

Quote Originally Posted by stangjason View Post
    Oh how I hate hard wood floors as they play such tricks with the sound.

Just a thought but I think I would try some of those things that my parents put on the feet of chairs and couches to protect their hardwood floor. Sorry I don't know what they are called though. If not I would consider getting some scrap carpet possibly free or real cheap from a furniture store and cut out the size I needed. My wife is a kindergarden teacher and she has gotten scrap carpet like this.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this will be in a family room and will have to pass the WAF so we'll need something with a more refined look than carpet scraps.

I use coins under the spikes on my RTi8's, they work well and cost pennies ;-)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gelinas View Post
    Hi All,

I've had my RTI8's for a few years now and have always had them in my carpeted family room. I am possibly moving in the near future and am concerned about my speaker's spike feet on the nice hardwood floors in the new place. I've been fairly unsuccessful in my search for a solution.

I don't really want to put them on a ceramic tile or something of that nature. Does anyone know of replacement feet that are perhaps rubber or something less abrasive to a wood floor?

Thanks in advance.
    I have rti10's on lyno and was thinking the spikes might punch thru so I went with a hockey puck at each corner,center drilled on a lathe fit the tip of the existing feet and varied the drill depth of the front and back pucks to give about a 3 deg. up projection from horiziontal.If you are a hockey nut, the puck idea may blend in well with your decor. If not you can bevel the top edge and tell the wife it is a custom fabricated floor protector you commisioned the building of just for her Astetics aside this idea works well, and dammage to touchy floor surfaces is a non event.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

My floors are carpeted, but there are various floor protector stuff at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Guess it depends on how fancy you want to be.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa

My Mid-Fi Systems - In The Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Mine are on laminate, and they really don't move around. The "spikes" are really just plastic and are rounded, too. I've been thinking about replacing the stock spikes with metal spikes and using those little disks they have with a dimple in the center. I'd also like to replace the plastic outriggers... a project for another day, though...
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I use something similar to the product Zeros linked. This isn't exactly what I have, but close.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-670
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Are there any benefits to using spikes on hardwood or tile floors? If there is wouldn't putting a foam pad underneath the floor protector defeat the purpose?

Thread Information