Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question whats rta about the rta 11tl's

Lest I'm mistaken the "rta" refers to the "open baffel" style and ofset tweeter like in the rta 12b's someone splain for me please!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

It doesn't refer to an open baffle array at all and the RTA12 is unlike the rest of the line...more of a true real time array than the others. The RTA12 isn't an open baffle design either as the term "open baffle" is more commonly associated with a loudspeaker that is constructed without a cabinet, just a fascia or single plane.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Understand on the "open baffle" I was speaking of not in a box,open air might be more correct but I thought the rta had to do with the set back tweeter in that it would help control the faster speed of the high freq. Set back so it arrives to the ear more in time with the low freq

Member Sales Rating: (58)

That's what Real Time Array means for Polk....so yes, you are correct. The transient response of the tweeter is faster than the mid bass/ bass driver so it "aligns" the listener with both at the same time. I'm sure there are fancier ways to explain that but I'm just a layman...and I'm betting you're not the average listener anyways.

A "poor mans" RTA was used via loudspeaker stands on the earlier Polk Audio Monitor series. The stands employed a rake, 4 degrees or such, that essentially....and effectively, created the same effect. Vandersteen is probably the most well known proponent and designer of a staggered or RTA style array although most ppl wouldn't know it given the aesthetics of the brand.

Either way, the RTA12 is neither open air nor open baffle by definition. I'll add more information about the other models later when I look up my notes since there is confusion about the other models.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 03-21-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Thread Information