Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What words do you constantly spell incorrectly?

Jumping on here, reading the forums, posting messages, quick proof read, hit submit and I have spelling mistakes! lol
    Guess I should start using the spell check feature on here!

Two words that I seem to keep spelling incorrectly are initially and recommend.

I always leave an "i" out somewhere in the word and I always add an extra "c" to recommend.

Another habit I find I do, is to spell "the" like this."teh or hte" Not sure why I do that, but I have seen that from other posters as well!

What other word(s) give you a hard time! I know I have spelling mistakes in other posts but the two words I mentioned above seem to give me grief!
    Last edited by gfong; 03-29-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

"Teh" isn't really a misspelling, it's just a typo. Your fingers move fast and sometimes hit the 'e' before the 'h'.

I have a lot of words I can never get right. Nauseous. Squirrel. Counselor.

If you use Chrome or Firefox (maybe even IE now) it should spell check as you type....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yup. I have Google Chrome. If I misspell a word it has a line under it like Word does. Awesome feature.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    Yup. I have Google Chrome. If I misspell a word it has a line under it like Word does. Awesome feature.
    -Cody
    I use Seamonkey from Mozilla and it's had it since they started it. I mistype stuff all the time with just transposed letters or flagrant misspellings and it picks them all up for me. Has an auto-correct feature too.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Eye donut spel en knee werds rong. Eye donut no wut yuer tocking abe out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Those must be the Canadian spellings, huh?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I don't tend to misspell things that much. If I don't know how a word is spelt (consequently, spelt isn't considered a word by spell check), I tend to use Google to find the correct spelling before posting it...it's a pet peeve of mine.

The word I see misspelled (or misused, if you want) a lot is "your". Drives me bat-**** crazy when I see it :(
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

I have perpetual trouble with the verb to occur and its forms.
    occurred. Two "r"s?!?

also words that end in "ibble" - dependable, responsible, etc.

oh, and judgement or is that judgment?

Firefox's real-time spellcheck comes in handy, as does www.dictionary.com
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Those must be the Canadian spellings, huh?
    Just missing the Eh! :)

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    If I don't know how a word is spelt (consequently, spelt isn't considered a word by spell check)
    I don't think "spelt" is a word, at least not as a past form of "spell." It's "spelled." We just say "spelt" for some reason. Dictionary doesn't list "spelt" as a word form of 'spell.'

The word I see misspelled (or misused, if you want) a lot is "your". Drives me bat-**** crazy when I see it :(
    While I try not to be the douche that corrects people all the time, I've made it a mission to correct my step brother EVERY TIME he does this on Facebook. The other day he said to me "it's just Facebook, who cares?" My head nearly exploded.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    (consequently, spelt isn't considered a word by spell check),
    'Cause, technically, it's not a word. While it may be part of the vernacular, "spelt" is not a word in the English language. It is listed as an out-dated version no longer in use in the formal language and left over from Middle German, High German or Old English and that's only because it has a latin root and was probably bastardized from the Roman Empire occupation of Europe. The root of "spelt" goes back prior to 1000 A.D. which was when it was last prevalent in written texts. The only place where it is still used regularly today is in Europe and it's a name for specific type of grain based animal feed.

The correct past tense of the verb spell is spelled.

That's why it doesn't show up in spell checkers 'cause by the rules of the language, spelt is incorrect.

'Cause, technically, it's not a word. While it may be part of the vernacular, "spelt" is not a word in the English language. It is listed as an out-dated version no longer in use in the formal language and left over from Middle German, High German or Old English and that's only because it has a latin root and was probably bastardized from the Roman Empire occupation of Europe. The root of "spelt" goes back prior to 1000 A.D. which was when it was last prevalent in written texts. The only place where it is still used regularly today is in Europe and it's a name for specific type of grain based animal feed.

The correct past tense of the verb spell is spelled.

That's why it doesn't show up in spell checkers 'cause by the rules of the language, spelt is incorrect.
    That's what I thought as well when I typed it, so I went to Google just to be sure and found this:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

I figured "Hey, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me".

Edit - And here I am, 1 minute too late to edit my original post :(
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    We just say "spelt" for some reason.
    There is a reason. Because people are lazy and so few kids actually pay attention in their English and Reading/Literature classes anymore. What's worst is many parents don't bother correcting them because they themselves do not know any better either.

Then when someone who does know corrects them in public, that person is a "douche" or a "jerk" for correcting a flagrant abuse of the English language.

Personally I try my best to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation and I find it detracts from the value of what I am trying to convey if I cannot user proper structure in my communications.

In other words, you look like an idiot when you use lazy language. So do yourself a favor and use the nice tools like grammar and spell checkers provided in so many applications now. Hell, just go to Google. You can enter an entire document in to Google's applications on their website and have it spell and grammar check for you. There's no excuse for misspellings and lazy language anymore.

As an example, I just misspelled "misspelled" twice while writing this post and the spellchecker caught it and told me to "change it ya big dummy!" so I did and now it's spelled correctly!

I mispelt spelled one time, needless to say I dont do that anymore! You won't catch me flagrantally abusing nuttin!:tongue:
    -Cody

Member Sales Rating: (6)

As a kid I was excellent at spelling. I don't know whats happened to me in the last 10 years, but I'm getting worse at it. I do a fair amount of (here I go) correspondence (sp?) at work, and created both my internal and external SOP's for the warehouse operations. The internal SOP is a bugger, as it outlines how to do everything; step by step.

Having said that, here's your spelling challenge of the day, is it:

"Canceled" or "cancelled?"

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Now this takes talent!

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Oh boy is this the truth. When I took Business English in October, The first essay we had to write, our teacher warned us that anyone who submits a paper with any shorthand pc jargon would get an automatic fail!

I was in shock & asked did she really have to clarify that? She said absolutely since she used to get so many people submitting papers with that crap. All I could do was laugh and shake my head in disbelief.

There is a reason. Because people are lazy and so few kids actually pay attention in their English and Reading/Literature classes anymore. What's worst is many parents don't bother correcting them because they themselves do not know any better either.

Then when someone who does know corrects them in public, that person is a "douche" or a "jerk" for correcting a flagrant abuse of the English language.

Personally I try my best to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation and I find it detracts from the value of what I am trying to convey if I cannot user proper structure in my communications.

In other words, you look like an idiot when you use lazy language. So do yourself a favor and use the nice tools like grammar and spell checkers provided in so many applications now. Hell, just go to Google. You can enter an entire document in to Google's applications on their website and have it spell and grammar check for you. There's no excuse for misspellings and lazy language anymore.

As an example, I just misspelled "misspelled" twice while writing this post and the spellchecker caught it and told me to "change it ya big dummy!" so I did and now it's spelled correctly!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Now this takes talent!
    At least he is Not guilty of plagiarism!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Canceled is American spelling & cancelled is British. Microsoft Word will accept either version.

We spell honor, they spell honour. The list of different spellings between our two countries is endless.

LOL A former coworker of mine had me check a letter for her before she sent it out. It was fine, but I had to have her correct her British spellings reminding her that this wasn't England or Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    As a kid I was excellent at spelling. I don't know whats happened to me in the last 10 years, but I'm getting worse at it. I do a fair amount of (here I go) correspondence (sp?) at work, and created both my internal and external SOP's for the warehouse operations. The internal SOP is a bugger, as it outlines how to do everything; step by step.

Having said that, here's your spelling challenge of the day, is it:

"Canceled" or "cancelled?"
    Last edited by cfrizz; 03-29-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Canceled is American spelling & cancelled is British. Microsoft Word will accept either version.

We spell honor, they spell honour. The list of different spellings between our two countries is endless.
    Very true! Canadians are taught the British way of spelling, but we see the American way as we are so close! (joking about proximity)
    (Like Sarah Palin is great with international affairs, as she can see Russia from her backyard!)

Actually it is because most of our printed reading material is published in American or if it is Canadian they use the American spelling so they do not have to double print.

Here are few that come to mind.
    colour
    labour
    metre
    raquet
    sulphur
    vapour
    cheque
    Last edited by gfong; 03-29-2011 at 07:26 PM.

tyres.
    -Cody

Member Sales Rating: (6)

All of them, what can I say!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (9)

The word I notice people misspelling more often than any other is definately, the correct version being definitely.
    Staff Member TONEAudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio
    2 Channel System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    iBook w/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB harddrive
    Sim Audio Moon 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es-3 Speakers
    Magnepan 1.6 w/Skiing Ninja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Totem Rainmakers, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt cabling, Shunyata Venom power cords, Modified PS Audio Trio C-100 int. amp, Vista Audio Int. Tube, iPod 160 gig

The one that I see is A LOT. Two words, not One.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Member Sales Rating: (16)

What words do you constantly spell incorrectly?

A: Posse

I can't even pronounce it. :tongue:

^

I misspell alot and don't have spell check on here yet. I will reread this thread and try to download a program to assist me later on.

I don't understand why I and others double type words like "the" all the time.

Weird, you'd think we would know when we type a word or not.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (10)

The one I see on Craigslist all the time that just kills me is "for sell" or "I am saleing"...

That doesn't even sound right! How can you proofread that and not know that is just butt-ugly and wrong? Enough to make one want to tear his hair out.

Is it 'computor' or 'computer'? It took me 4 years in college to finally remember the spelling. I think.

And people don't seem to know that there is no such spelling as loosing for LOSING.

Although you may loosen the knots and re-tie them so that they won't come loose, but losing the shoes all together will mean that you have lost your mind, and need to have someone find it for you.

Bumber when bumper is clearly meant.
    Labtop when laptop is clearly meant.

Wondering when wandering is clearly meant. You wander down a path. You wonder what is down the path you are wandering on.

Thread Information