Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Marantz AV 7005 vs. AV 8003

Im looking for a new pre down the road and wanted to know what the forum thought about these two. I've been searching and have found great reviews on the 7005 but i know its still early.
    TV:Sony Bravia XBR4 52'
    Mains: Lsi m 705
    C:Lsi m 706
    Rears: Lsi m 703
    Sub: Epik Empire
    Pre:Marantz AV 7005
    Amp:Sunfire TGA-7400
    Blueray: Opp 93
    A/V Component: Panamax M5100-PM
    Cables: Signal Cable, White Zombie, MIT, Pepster's power cables

Banned

Thumbs up Av-7005

I′m updated my Denon 4308Ci to the new Marantz AV-7005

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117202

Banned

Wink Marantz Product Comparision

Marantz Product Comparision
    AV-7005 versus AV-8003
    Attached Images

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernal View Post
    I′m updated my Denon 4308Ci to the new Marantz AV-7005

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117202
    Great link to your post bernal and its alot of help to the op's question on the subject

I too have thought about going for the 7005 but the drawback that makes me wait is the absence of the audyssey xt 32 . Xt32 gives you the more filtering and you can independently calibrate 2 subs .I am sure marantz will not be able to offer a firmware upgrade to fix this as its part of the hardware . I think that if you waited this long you should hold off a little longer and see if they come out with a xt32 version this year

As far as a comparison goes between the 8003 and av7005 well most users on avs forum report that the overall winner is the 7005 and that comes from the people who own both. The av7005 does not have gold plated rca nor does it have the balanced connections for dedicated 2 channel input

Marantz 8003 owners that switched to the 7005 said that for music the 2 channel performance was better than the 7005 but the HT performance of the 7005 had more air in the highs and a more dynamic range to the sound making it more exciting for HT . The 8003 does not have the ability to put audyssey over a dolby true hd bitstreem but most players do that anyway so.....

If music is important then the 8003 would be where my money was going but if your a HT nutt then the 7005 is the clear winner

Banned

Default Audio system is Magnepan

My current audio system is Magnepan and for that reason not considered very important Audyssey xt 32.
    "Magnepans are dipolar speakers that produce sound to the front and to the rear, but not to the sides of, their thin panels. As a result, Magnepans tend to interact less with rooms than conventional piston-type loudspeakers typically do.
    Given factors like these, the fact is that Magnepans tend not to respond well when used with most automated speaker setup/room EQ systems (most of which were designed with the characteristics of conventional speaker systems in mind) so that Magnepan strongly advises against using them."

Magnepan strongly advises against using them."
    Wow this is news to me . I was never aware that flat panel speakers did not respond well to audyssey room correction systems

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Wow this is news to me . I was never aware that flat panel speakers did not respond well to audyssey room correction systems
    With Maggies, volume falls off at 1/x, where x is the distance between the listener and the speakers, where with conventional speakers volume falls off at 1/X2.
    In practice, this means you′ll need to manually adjust speaker distance and channel level settings.
    Last edited by Bernal; 03-30-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks polkfarmboy for the heads up, 90% of my time will be spent on HT. My HK is a great AVR dont get me wrong, I just think im missing something by using the HK...Not to mention it makes my room hot as heck! Are there any new processors out there (under $1,600price tag) that anybody would like to recommend ??

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Outlaw is supposed to be coming out with one in that dollar range. Onkyo has the 5508 processor which us a little more than your budget. Integer also. Onkyo 3008 receiver which can be had some weekends at 1199 shipped from new egg has audyssey xt32. Anthems new mrx line of receivers has the arc room correction that is getting rave reviews. There are not many pre pros in that price range but some great receivers if you didn't mind going that route.

Why is it that pre's cost more then receivers ?

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bdtae5656 View Post
    Why is it that pre's cost more then receivers ?

The audio circuitry in the AV7005 represents a significant performance upgrade over the that of theSR7005; a Dedicated Preamplifier Subassembly replaces the SR's multichannel power amplifier and features a rock-solid regulated power supply with custom wound transformer. All channels feature magnetically actuated, gold plated relays for superior channel separation and near zero crosstalk, while a symmetrical HDAM layout offers an enhanced soundstage and pin-point image localization.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bernal; 05-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.

With Maggies, volume falls off at 1/x, where x is the distance between the listener and the speakers, where with conventional speakers volume falls off at 1/X2.
    In practice, this means you′ll need to manually adjust speaker distance and channel level settings.
    But everything being relative in the system, if you are using all Maggie speaker system, Audyssey should still work. Distances would be wrong (double according to your info), but this can be easily adjusted in the manual setup after doing Audyssey.

But thanks for the valuable thread. I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to 7005 from 8003. Looks like I'm keeping my pre. I'm 80/20 at music/HT ratio. Looking at the spec 8003 has better signal to noise ration - that's all I need. I take advantage of Audyssey on HT soundtrack by having my BluRay player convert DTS Master to LPCM.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Never mind, I see, that is the Marantz pre-amp!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 05-20-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by newsman View Post
    But everything being relative in the system, if you are using all Maggie speaker system, Audyssey should still work. Distances would be wrong (double according to your info), but this can be easily adjusted in the manual setup after doing Audyssey.

But thanks for the valuable thread. I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to 7005 from 8003. Looks like I'm keeping my pre. I'm 80/20 at music/HT ratio. Looking at the spec 8003 has better signal to noise ration - that's all I need. I take advantage of Audyssey on HT soundtrack by having my BluRay player convert DTS Master to LPCM.
    S/N Ratio is important, but should not be used as the only specification to measure the sound quality of a component.

The main features of the HDAM are that it is an extremely low noise single step amplifier with a folded cascade construction capable of 60 to 75... dB of gain (amplification factor). In addition, its through rate is high at 70 to 80V/? s, enabling high-speed response across all bands.

The formal name for the HDAM is "hyper dynamic amplifier module". Newer analog circuits primarily use all-purpose op-amps with specifications that look fabulous. However, after careful repeated testing, the Marantz engineers, with their thorough knowledge of live sound and the timbre of live musical instruments, felt that there was a limit to the fidelity of audio circuits manufactured using conventional op-amps.

The effect HDAMs have on sound quality is quite remarkable. They make the music sound fresh and alive.

The AV-8003 does not have this technology.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Wait for AV9007 which is said to be the replacement for AV8003, which what I've been told.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

I based my opinion not just on spec, just observed polkfarmboy conclusion that owners proffered 8003 for music and the fact that to upgrade to 7005 I would need to mess with selling my 8003. I'll just wait for a more substantial upgrade. Notice how Marantz designated new pre pro not a 8005, but 7005. Hmm :)

Edit. Wow I didn't know about 9007. So I was right about nomenclature differences.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by polkatese View Post
    Wait for AV9007 which is said to be the replacement for AV8003, which what I've been told.
    All I hear from Marantz (local dealer, regional rep) people is there is no such thing as the 8005/9007 so I get the 7005.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

That's not what i've been told by my trusted dealer. marantz missed the development cycle for 9006 rolled out, so it got pushed back now for the next cycle to 9007

Either way, take it with a grain of salt. My first choice was Parasound Halo AV (dubbed C3) which got canned after much fanfare. I am very content with 8003 on music as is, until the next itch, I guess.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by polkatese View Post
    That's not what i've been told by my trusted dealer. marantz missed the development cycle for 9006 rolled out, so it got pushed back now for the next cycle to 9007

Either way, take it with a grain of salt. My first choice was Parasound Halo AV (dubbed C3) which got canned after much fanfare. I am very content with 8003 on music as is, until the next itch, I guess.
    The truth is that Marantz does not publish official information about new products.
    Distributors only comment on what they hear.
    I update my Denon 4308CI because I needed HDMI 1.4a.
    The AV7005 offers an excellent opportunity and quality.
    Last edited by Bernal; 05-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtae5656 View Post
    Thanks polkfarmboy for the heads up, 90% of my time will be spent on HT. My HK is a great AVR dont get me wrong, I just think im missing something by using the HK...Not to mention it makes my room hot as heck! Are there any new processors out there (under $1,600price tag) that anybody would like to recommend ??
    I noticed this thread came back to life after a few months, so I figured Id post my thoughts and findings. After having the Av 7005 for a month I must say that I was missing out. This pre/pro was the answer to my HT's problems! It runs cool which is a huge plus, and runs very well with my Sunfire amp. Im one happy Marantz owner!

Thread Information