Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Opinions wanted on Philips speaker wire

Hi:
    I don't know a lot about the modern era of speaker wire.Switched out my delapatated wire for some 14 guage philips, mainly because it was good price. Went to the philips website to see what I could find out about their wire and discovered it is a copper aluminum clad design.Like I said at the beginning I'm kinda green about this new wire teck.Sounds ok, definately a big change from the crap I was using before.With the price of copper going where it has have most manufacturers gone to this copper aluminum clad?
    Anybody else using or have used philips and care to share an opinion.What would other wire brands do that this philips isn't or can't?
    thanks for your opionions and experiences in advance.
    Mike
    Oh yea I'm running 2 channel, driving rti10's with an 80's yamaha m50, going to change out to an m80.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

http://www.mitcablesexpress.com/exp-b-stock-sale.html

Grab some of these. 100% copper is the best way to go
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Banned

If you need an affordable 100% copper cable try Monoprice.com.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

MIT is not for everybody John.

I have to agree about Monoprice, They will cover just about any basic systems...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Agreed...depends on what you want to 'invest' at this point!

But MITs are worth 'serious' consideration if the budget 'works'?

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

I have to agree about Monoprice, They will cover just about any basic systems...
    Agreed Larry, but for the budget, the MIT's I suggested are very tough to beat. 40 feet of Canare 4S11 set me back more than the MIT stuff did.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

I know John but with the gear the OP has Monoprice would work just fine!!!
    Last edited by Toolfan66; 04-13-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

That M80 is a beast of an amp. 250WPC. Few grunts used to run them with the old Sansui monoliths back in my Army days.

There is one here in town at Intrinsic and you are right it is a beast.. They didn't have it running but it looked heavy!!!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I'd like to get an ear on it. Those red power meters looked wicked, I always thought.

The M80 is a great amp, and why I suggested the MIT's for it. Speakers can come and go, but that is one amp I would never part with.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    The M80 is a great amp, and why I suggested the MIT's for it. Speakers can come and go, but that is one amp I would never part with.
    Agreed. I picked up an M-80 when I bought my 2As and thought it did a good job. I've also run it w/my 1Cs and 1.2tls with respectable sound. Since then, I've picked up Sunfire and Parasound amps. The Sunfire is at Rita's getting a refresh and I've pulled out the M-80 until it's back. Definitely a tank of an amp and descent for the used prices they go for. I'll keep it on my 3rd rig and as a spare if needed.

I ordered the MITs and they'll be here tomorrow. The M-80 will help burn in the cables until I get my Sunfire back and while I rebuild the XOs on my 1Cs. For the price, swing the MITs if you can and look at it as an upgrade path if you decide to try other gear in the future...IMHO.
    Last edited by JayCee; 04-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Talking

Many thanks to everyone for responding.The m80 is a beast, at least weight wise, listing at 50 lb 10 oz.In regards to the idea of what speaker wire should be composed of for best performance, I looked into a publication caled the machinery's handbook for the specifics of electric conductivity of stand alone metalic elements...Silver gets top billing, scoring 100, copper is 2nd at 97.61gold comes in 3rd at 76.61;and aluminum is 4th at a piddley 63.Of course the 100 score doesn't mean perfect conductivity just that in a stand alone condition the silver tops.(the table didn't specify how much current was lost) I heard somewhere that the new era of experimental super conductors being developed are an alloy of aluminum and silver. so it is possible if philips did their homework that the copper/aluminum blend's conductivity is a step above that of straight copper. Of course how long the alloy holds perormance once the current hits it... burn in could equal burnt out...all just speculation.
    uneducated of course.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    If you need an affordable 100% copper cable try Monoprice.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

I own some of the phillipps cables and thy are fine howeve, they are comparable in quality with the monoprice qhich I also own and they are not as expensive so your better bang for the buck are the monoprice.

Just passing along that the Phillips cables are not standard AWG, they are Chinese graded. The Phillips 14 gauge chinese are comparable in size to AWG 18's. Which makes them much smaller.
    Sony STR-5400ES, Emotiva XPA-3, RTi A9's, CSi A6, FXi A6,s, SVS PB12-NSD, Sony KDL52W5100, Sony BDP-S770,
    Pro-Ject RPM 1.3/Ortofon 2M Blue, Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, APC-H10

Atlas Equator MK II & Atlas Voyager All CU interconnects, MIT EXp 2 speaker cables, AudioQuest NRG-2 Power Cords

Thread Information