Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default LS90s back together and working. Plasti dipped front baffles

Thanks for the help folks, thought I'd share my great success and a couple pics!

Got the speakers for "Free"

$120 to get the 3 problematic woofers repaired and the other 5 checked and the magnets glued

$12 for the plasti dip to re-finish the front baffles as the material that was there was toast
    Attached Images

looks good nice job..
    NAD 2100 - NAD 1020 - Project Debut Carbon with speed box S
    Frankin Polk Monitor 10b-2A - Blue Jeans IC's - (living room)

Marantz 1060 - Infinity RSe - I-job (garage/mancave)

Nice work on the restoration work, enjoy the speakers! Judging from the pictures your camera needs some work.

Nice job. Looking good!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Pioneer Elite DV-47A CD/SACD/DVD-A Player
    Denon DNP-720AE Network Player
    Thorens TD320 & TD145
    Dared SL2000 upgraded by George Grand
    Adcom GFA5800 Amplifier
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    Douglas Connection Interconnects

How did they fix the woofers?
    Re-doping the spiders?

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Quote Originally Posted by czarodzi View Post
    Nice work on the restoration work, enjoy the speakers! Judging from the pictures your camera needs some work.
    Oh I am definitely enjoying them!

Yeah only camera I have is just my S3 so any interior shots generally aren't that great. Should be upgrading phone here soon, and if that doesn't fit the bill maybe I'll have to break down and actually get a legit camera....

I was pretty pleased with how the plasti dip turned out as far as approximating the kind of finish you would expect. It's certainly a bit more textured but I think if you actually used a sprayer instead of a rattle can you'd get results that would look pretty spot on with the original finish.

The grills are going back on too. Used and outdoor water spigot to flush them out and that did a bang up job cleaning them up. Surprisingly there were no tears on those. Just am having to re-glue a couple of the plugs on one of them. I made an executive decision to leave the grill surround piece off as they just were going to require too much repair and getting them re-attached over the top of the plasti dip was going to be iffy at best with as many tabs and such that were broken off.

As for how he fixed the woofers, yeah he just re-attached the spiders that had pulled away from the baskets. Had I to do it over again I may have tried my hand at it, but I felt like his pricing was pretty fair and he certainly had a better idea of what he was doing and I didn't want to take the gamble on screwing them up as they aren't all that cheap to replace as I've found out.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Great job Truls, those LS90's are sweet speakers and should be able to give you decades of enjoyment.

Thank you much. Yeah I hope so, I'll be looking to fill out a home theater set of LS eventually. Planning on the cs350ls as the center, but I have heard the cs400i is a pretty good match as well. Surrounds are kind of up in the air depending on what I find, I really wouldn't mind using more 90s, 70s, 50s or the FXs. Just depends on what I'll be able to score on the cheap.

Any other thoughts on good polks that would timbre match well?

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The speakers came out great, and I'm sure they sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by Truls-rohk View Post
    Any other thoughts on good polks that would timbre match well?
    Any Polks with the Trilaminate tweeter will match well.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

They look great. Recently, on a pair of LS-50s, I stripped the plastic off and used the hammered texture spray paint and it turned out pretty well, too. I wonder from a cost perspective which is lower? I used my spray gun and put on a coat of satin black and then a satin polycot, so that increased my cost a little more.

I've found the CS-350 to be a tad better timbre match than the CS-400, at least in the rooms I've tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMuell View Post
    They look great. Recently, on a pair of LS-50s, I stripped the plastic off and used the hammered texture spray paint and it turned out pretty well, too. I wonder from a cost perspective which is lower? I used my spray gun and put on a coat of satin black and then a satin polycot, so that increased my cost a little more.

I've found the CS-350 to be a tad better timbre match than the CS-400, at least in the rooms I've tried them.
    Thanks for the opinion on the center... I think I'd like to go with the CS350 anyway just for cosmetic match reasons anyway.

The plasti dip doesn't really require the prep and such... from the rattle can it's certainly more orange peal type of texture then the stock type finish, but based on the coat on top of my car's roof if sprayed from a decent sprayer it's a much smoother finish while still being a bit textured. I used up two can't at $6 a pop. That was probably a tad overkill, but the plati dip is pretty forgiving and I hear it's actually better to lay it on rather thick, I think I did about 6 coats.

Also!

Picked up a Crest Audio vs900 amplifier to power these puppies instead of the old Yamaha receiver I have, and all I can say is WOW!!! These things really do come alive with some power ran to them.
    Last edited by Truls-rohk; 04-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.

If you have any tweeter issues, let me know. I've got 3 or 4 stashed that I could sell for cheap.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Looks great! Did the rough texture of the plasti dip cause any issues getting the drivers to seal properly?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    Looks great! Did the rough texture of the plasti dip cause any issues getting the drivers to seal properly?
    Nope, if anything it helps as it's more or less a rubberized finish that compresses

Thread Information