Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Default Sonic Frontiers Power 2 not common ground

I've been lusting after a nice tube amp for a while, and finally settled on a Sonic Frontiers Power 2. I assumed that it was common ground, since it's Anthem cousin The Amp 1 is. Unfortunately, I didn't ask the question until after I paid the deposit. Turns out that the SFP2 is not common ground, according to none other than Chris Johnson himself.

I currently have a pair of SDA SRS2s from 1986, which are blade-blade and thus not able to use the AI-1 cable. So, here are my questions:

1) can I "strap" the negative terminals (and does that mean that I still run speaker wire from the negative terminals, but also jumper them)?

2) is there a way to modify the cross-overs for AI-1?

3) should I bail on the SFP2 (at the risk of losing my modest deposit)?

4) should I sell the Polks and move on (don't want to do this one)?

Thanks!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would bail on the SFP2. Better to loose a little deposit over having the amp go poof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Dont bail on anything. Set up the amp with something else.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe08867 View Post
    I would bail on the SFP2. Better to loose a little deposit over having the amp go poof.
    If I buy it, I certainly won't connect it to the SDAs without applying good advice from Chris Johnson and the amp's designer Mike Kerster, with whom I have an appointment to speak this Monday morning. What is the best way to describe the common ground requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    Russ, I would LOVE to do just that. only problem is, I don't have an unlimited budget nor an infinitely tolerant SO. If I set up the amp, it will be on my main rig, which means the SDAs will have to go. I wish it were otherwise, but I can't have everything all the time.

So, I'm still back at my original questions, plus a request for a succinct explanation of the need for common ground.

One other question: I've bought the electronics to TL the SRS2s. I've read that, although complicated, the crossovers CAN be modified to allow the AI-1. Is this true? If so, what's involved? It would seem that this would solve my problem most neatly. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    Agreed.
    Had that very amp along time ago. A quality piece for sure. It would make me consider moving the SDA's out and something else in. If the amp is in top notch condition that is, it's definately a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Agreed.
    Had that very amp along time ago. A quality piece for sure. It would make me consider moving the SDA's out and something else in. If the amp is in top notch condition that is, it's definately a keeper.

the amp is in mint, nearly new condition selling at a fair price. I think I'm going to have to complete the purchase. The SDAs, which I love, are in limbo.....

Dude, that is one nice amp. If your afraid to let the SDA's go, let me tell you from experience, I've had plenty of SDA's, including a full SRT system, while all were very good speakers in their own right, there is plenty of fish in the sea my man that will do you justice.

Thread Information