Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
  1. #1
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default My MiniDSP Shipped....

    Thanks for your order of miniDSP products! Your parcel shipped on the
    4/19/2011

    Straight out of Hong Kong. I will hopefully be able to move the DCX to the bench for some speaker projects.

    I am using this with the Advanced 2.0 plug-in. One feature it has that the DCX lacks is a true HP filter option. The documentation and how-to guides are top notch also.

    All said and done it was $175 shipped.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (9)

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Interested to hear your opinion of it when it arrives. Certainly seems like a killer option for an active xover.

    Was shipping really high? IIRC aren't they $99 plus the plugin?
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

  3. #3
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Interested to hear your opinion of it when it arrives. Certainly seems like a killer option for an active xover.

    Was shipping really high? IIRC aren't they $99 plus the plugin?
    You can purchase the bare bones (kit) or get it boxed. Plus I picked up the 2X4 balanced since I'm using a 'crappy' Behringer EP2500 pro-amp to drive my subs.

    The kits are $20 cheaper. So $145 for the 2X4 Balanced boxed, $10 for the plug-in and $20 to ship from Hong Kong.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Keep us posted on your impressions. I saw those and I am interested. I have a Crown CE4000 amp in my PA rig that I am thinking about using in my home theater with some custom subs in its down time :) I have a Driverack PA+ that has extensive PEQ, GEQ, and crossover settings, but this might work well too.

    Now to just decide on the custom sub build...

    Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

    Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

    Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

  5. #5
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    If something like this MiniDSP was available 4/5 years ago I would have picked it up instead of the DCX (Which is a copy of a dbx product I believe). I have been happy with it and it's done a great job.

    Just wanted to try something else and I already have uses for the DBX elsewhere. Can't beat a Pro-audio digital domain x-over if you are willing to put the time into it (well maybe that's true until now)

  6. #6
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    Now to just decide on the custom sub build...

    Don
    I'm looking at doing 1 or 2 eighteen inch eDesign's (19Ov.2) in 5/5.5 cubic foot sealed enclosures

    For under $1k: Behringer EP2500 ($280), 19Ov.2 x 2 for $490, MiniDSP for $175 and another $40-$60 in MDF. It will clobber commercial offerings costing 3X most likely.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Too bad you are in KY! I would work with you to build 2 of them! I would technically need the MDF and the subs! I don't have all the necessary tools to do it but I enjoy projects like that. It would be such a fun project!!!

    I do currently have an 18" Peavey Lo Max driver in a roughly 5 cubic foot ported enclosure that I use for my PA, I should give it a try in the home theater! Oddly enough, this is the first time this has occurred to me!

    The CE4000 runs 2400 watts bridged mono into 8 ohms and 3600 watts in 4 ohms! It is one of the baddest sub amps around! It really kicks the Peavey's butt! But... The peavey is a Pro Audio Sub definitely, but I guess it would be worth a try anyways.

    Keep us posted!

    Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

    Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

    Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

  8. #8
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Pro-audio subs usually have a high Fs (a lot the 40's from what I have seen) Not designed to dig down to 20.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    Pro-audio subs usually have a high Fs (a lot the 40's from what I have seen) Not designed to dig down to 20.
    Agreed. The Lo Max is slightly better, but still at 38.5... Do you have a build thread started on your sub yet? Don't want to derail this thread too much!

    Don
    Last edited by dcmartinpc; 04-19-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

    Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

    Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (9)

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    That makes sense re:price.

    The flexiblity with the xover in the digital domain is appealing to me as is the integration with REW. Once I get my speakers figured out I'd like to add one of their USB audio interfaces to my DAC. All in due time....
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Congrats I'm envious.
    I hope to aquire one soon to try in place of an anolog active unit.Definately looks like the cats a$$ for ease of experimentation and versatility.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Congrats I'm envious.
    I hope to aquire one soon to try in place of an anolog active unit.Definately looks like the cats a$$ for ease of experimentation and versatility.
    I've been reading the user guides and this is a friendlier unit for the those unitiated to active crossovers.

    I can only imagine the horrors the newb has gone through with the DCX. Behringer has nothing on the likes of dbx and Ashly when it comes to their interconnectivity (control wise) of units and the GUI routing software.

    The latest REW release even has direct support for the MiniDSP. This plus some sealed subs = shape the bottom end however you want given your amp and speaker excursion limits. I can't wait

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    The REW integration is slick. What I like is the 48db LR slope option and the Linkwitz Transform. I have built up an LT circuit with opamps for use with the Peerless 10" bass section's of my 3ways.Fine tuning the LT and crossover points by changing components can get tedious so I'll enjoy the convenience of just clicking a mouse.
    Last edited by FTGV; 04-19-2011 at 10:25 PM.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    The REW integration is slick. What I like is the 48db LR slope option and the Linkwitz Transform. I have built up an LT circuit with opamps for use with the Peerless 10" bass section's of my 3ways.Fine tuning the LT and crossover points by changing components can get tedious so I'll enjoy the convenience of just clicking a mouse.
    Yep, and you will be able to save your config's to file and easily push them to the unit and then A/B your x-over design.

    That is one feature that I think will be quicker on something like the DCX. That ability to drill down the menu structure and load another preset. I have two sub settings on my DCX: Movies and Music. Takes five seconds to switch.

    Oh my how pro-audio gear just sucks

  15. #15
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    It just hit. Man that was fast.

  16. #16
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,108

  17. #17
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Yep, those tutorials are killer. Perfect for the newb.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    I have it hooked up. UI is really straight forward. The ability to import REW plots is going to be nice. Will have time the weekend after this one to get into it further.

    Can't believe that you can have a full blown management system that can control 4 subs for under $200. Amazing.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    Do you really need someone to tell you PA gears sucks?
    Please don't start this. There is VERY high end PA gear that can perform very well. ESPECIALLY in regards to subwoofers. I myself am most likely going to switch over to a TC Sounds Pro 5100 driver (A Pro Audio Driver) with 2 TC Sounds VMP passives that will smoke just about every commercial home sub solution. Think 120+ db in room response near flat from 15 - 100 Hz... I will be driving it with a Crown CE4000 amplifier which is a precursor to the Crown iTech amplifiers! Anyone who says that is crap is off their rocker. There is definitely crap PA gear, just like there is crap home audio gear. My Crown CE4000 is dead silent and sounds phenomenal. Running subs it is really hard to beat. It has technology in it that no home audio gear employs. It is very efficient and can dig very deep. It laughs at low hz signals that many other amps can't even think of playing without clipping. Much of this DIY stuff can get you %95 of the way there costing much less than some of the high end home audio stuff. Are there compromises? Yes... But you decide if they are worth the extra $$$ in your pocket.

    That being said, I run a lot of nice home audio gear that is very well respected and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Parasound amps, Polk LSi and SDA speakers... They have their place, and I love them. I play in both courts, and it is a good place to be! Would I replace my Polk LSi or SDA with a couple of Pro Speaker Cabinets, heck no! There are places where stuff crosses over, and for those with a little ingenuity and time, we can come up with some killer solutions that perform respectably.

    On a side note and back to the OP discussion, I am most likely going to EQ my sub with more pro audio gear :) I will be using a Driverack PA+. I might even pick up one of these MiniDSP's just to play with. When it is done, I welcome anyone to come into my house and tell me it sucks :)

    See how I did that and didn't bash anyone!!!!! :tongue:

    Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

    Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

    Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

  20. #20
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    I can provide some preliminary feedback in regards to comparison of my DCX. It's an issue of trade offs.

    The DCX ultimately is going to be a more flexible unit. For starters you can't sum input1 across all outputs on the MiniDSP. The actual flow and routing functions are the same in approach but ultimately MiniDSP not as route-able.

    The DCX has the capability to store and easily recall presets. HT, Music, House Curve-HT, House Curve-Music. The MiniDSP you have to have a computer connected.

    In short the MiniDSP is PERFECT for HT Use. You can import REW configs. That is PRICELESS. The DCX is going to my bench for an upcoming 3 way active design that I want to do from scratch. Each one will be able to play to their relative strengths.

    I am just waiting for the MiniDSP to start showing up in some ID speaker companies sub woofer offerings. You should be able to tweak a multiple sub configuration in 30 minutes with REW and the MiniDSP. My local AV firm has never even heard of either.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    Much of this DIY stuff can get you %95 of the way there costing much less than some of the high end home audio stuff. Are there compromises? Yes... But you decide if they are worth the extra $$$ in your pocket.
    Don
    I think the compromise is strictly your time. They certainly aren't in SQ.

    You're about 4 1/2 hours away. You could always come down for a weekend and we can knock out some cabinets.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    I think the compromise is strictly your time. They certainly aren't in SQ.

    You're about 4 1/2 hours away. You could always come down for a weekend and we can knock out some cabinets.
    That would be awesome!! It would solve one of my problems!!!

    I agree. Quality gear is quality gear. Just because someone doesn't understand it or have experience with it doesn't mean it sucks. :). I have ran LSis off a crown xti 4000 and they sounded great. Almost as good on a crown XLS 802d too.

    My point is different strokes for different folks. No reason for crap slinging.

    Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

    Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

    Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

  23. #23
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    That would be awesome!! It would solve one of my problems!!!

    I agree. Quality gear is quality gear. Just because someone doesn't understand it or have experience with it doesn't mean it sucks. :). I have ran LSis off a crown xti 4000 and they sounded great. Almost as good on a crown XLS 802d too.

    My point is different strokes for different folks. No reason for crap slinging.

    Don
    PM sent about possible dates...

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    What are you using for the DC supply?I would think a good regulated linear unit optimum and will be using such with mine (when I finally get it.)

  25. #25
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    What are you using for the DC supply?I would think a good regulated linear unit optimum and will be using such with mine (when I finally get it.)
    For right now I have a standard wall wart 1.5 amp supply. I could put together a 12V battery, trickle charger and toggle switch to take the charger off the circuit and put the MiniDSP in circuit.

    Or just drop $40 on a 12v regulated DC supply The thing is dead quiet as it stands.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    Please don't start this. There is VERY high end PA gear that can perform very well. ESPECIALLY in regards to subwoofers. I myself am most likely going to switch over to a TC Sounds Pro 5100 driver (A Pro Audio Driver) with 2 TC Sounds VMP passives that will smoke just about every commercial home sub solution. Think 120+ db in room response near flat from 15 - 100 Hz... I will be driving it with a Crown CE4000 amplifier which is a precursor to the Crown iTech amplifiers! Anyone who says that is crap is off their rocker. There is definitely crap PA gear, just like there is crap home audio gear. My Crown CE4000 is dead silent and sounds phenomenal. Running subs it is really hard to beat. It has technology in it that no home audio gear employs. It is very efficient and can dig very deep. It laughs at low hz signals that many other amps can't even think of playing without clipping. Much of this DIY stuff can get you %95 of the way there costing much less than some of the high end home audio stuff. Are there compromises? Yes... But you decide if they are worth the extra $$$ in your pocket.

    That being said, I run a lot of nice home audio gear that is very well respected and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Parasound amps, Polk LSi and SDA speakers... They have their place, and I love them. I play in both courts, and it is a good place to be! Would I replace my Polk LSi or SDA with a couple of Pro Speaker Cabinets, heck no! There are places where stuff crosses over, and for those with a little ingenuity and time, we can come up with some killer solutions that perform respectably.

    On a side note and back to the OP discussion, I am most likely going to EQ my sub with more pro audio gear :) I will be using a Driverack PA+. I might even pick up one of these MiniDSP's just to play with. When it is done, I welcome anyone to come into my house and tell me it sucks :)

    See how I did that and didn't bash anyone!!!!!
    :tongue:

    Don
    Nah, I am not bashing anyone. Just simply stating the fact coz he stated the obvious.

    All I can say is not all Pro Audio Gears Sucks!

    But then, some sucks and sucks bad!

    I have Crown XTi4000 for sub duty but it's not as good as the older Crown CE4000, I hear.

    Anyway, without bashing anyone, the theme of the day is

    "Some Pro Audio Gears Sucks!"

  27. #27
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    I have Crown XTi4000 for sub duty but it's not as good as the older Crown CE4000, I hear.

    Anyway, without bashing anyone, the theme of the day is

    "Some Pro Audio Gears Sucks!"
    Some consumer gear also. Are you using the XTi's built in DSP for any integration?

    If I had my choice of Crown gear for sub duty it would be a K1 or Macro/Micro Tech 2400 (that was an awesome amp).
    Last edited by jinjuku; 04-22-2011 at 03:57 PM.

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    Some consumer gear also. Are you using the XTi's built in DSP for any integration?
    I suppose you could say that.

    Nah, I didn't use any DSP integration. DSP is off.

    I tried XTi4000 to power my Carver Amazing full range, they sucks bad.

    So, I switched it to the woofers only and still sucks bad.

    But I bought it to power a pair of ED 190V2. subs only. I bought it a couple years ago for a pair of ED 190Ov.2 so it better doesn't suck.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

  29. #29
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    I suppose you could say that.

    Nah, I didn't use any DSP integration. DSP is off.

    I tried XTi4000 to power my Carver Amazing full range, they sucks bad.

    So, I switched it to the woofers only and still sucks bad.

    But I bought it to power a pair of ED 190V2. subs only. I bought it a couple years ago for a pair of ED 190Ov.2 so it better doesn't suck.
    Not surprised the XTi 4K is a known noisy amp (not talking cooling fans here). Just like any brand you have to know what you are getting into among their product line up and purchase appropriately for the application.

    Are you applying any correction to the subs? It's a waste not to use the built in DSP

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    What you said might be true. I got a BNIB XTi4000 for a littler over EP2500. I couldn't refuse coz I know I can flip for more coins to the PA guys. I got friends running XTi4000 for the DJ work and birthday parties and stuff. They are quite happy with it. But they use the PA speakers, of course.

    Yes, DSP is off but might come handy later after I build the 190v.2 (something like ED A7-900). Using DSP to eq. the sub was the plan for the sub.

    Back to the regularly scheduled miniDSP program.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. FYI CS1 69.99 Shipped
    By lukewayne in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
  2. This is how a sub should be shipped
    By NotaSuv in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
  3. For Sale 3 HD-DVDs $12 shipped
    By jawhog in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
  4. I am selling my HK AVR-235 $200 shipped
    By ben62670 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 05:56 PM
  5. How to have some SDA's shipped.
    By engtaz in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts