Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 253
  1. #121

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    I'm sick of this. It seems every month either my wife or I are part of some data breach.

  2. #122

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I lost valuable COD and NBA 2K11 playing time during the week before finals. Now I'm having withdrawals and I can't focus on studying. The information breach really concerns me since I've been a victim of identity theft a few times--I don't recommend it. Not a good time.

  3. #123

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigBlue View Post
    I lost valuable COD and NBA 2K11 playing time during the week before finals. Now I'm having withdrawals and I can't focus on studying. The information breach really concerns me since I've been a victim of identity theft a few times--I don't recommend it. Not a good time.
    If you're having withdrawals, that's a clear sign you have an addiction. I recommend counseling.

  4. #124

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    If you're having withdrawals, that's a clear sign you have an addiction. I recommend counseling.
    There's not a word to summarize the bond I share with my PS3. I hold Sony accountable for this added stress on top of finals week. Can't start a party without a round of COD: Black Ops and Bacardi 151.

  5. #125

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigBlue View Post
    There's not a word to summarize the bond I share with my PS3. I hold Sony accountable for this added stress on top of finals week. Can't start a party without a round of COD: Black Ops and Bacardi 151.
    You sir have a problem.

  6. #126

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigBlue View Post
    There's not a word to summarize the bond I share with my PS3. I hold Sony accountable for this added stress on top of finals week. Can't start a party without a round of COD: Black Ops and Bacardi 151.
    you sir, have a problem... that stuff is NASTY!

  7. #127

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    Regardless of all the nonsense regarding paid or unpaid, a week to inform PSN users by e-mail is just ridiculous. That's an eternity as far as identity theft goes, and Sony better make things right for their customers.
    I'm done with all Sony products after this. Once my PS3 bites it, that's it. I've owned several of their products, some higher end and never found them to be that reliable. I never received any email warning me about a breach or that my personal info may have been put at risk. Like I said, this is till Sony's pooch and if this is the way they're going to treat their customers, they can kma.

  8. #128

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    I'm done with all Sony products after this. Once my PS3 bites it, that's it. I've owned several of their products, some higher end and never found them to be that reliable. I never received any email warning me about a breach or that my personal info may have been put at risk. Like I said, this is till Sony's pooch and if this is the way they're going to treat their customers, they can kma.
    They emailed people who that affected. So no email means no worries for you.

  9. #129

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
    you sir, have a problem... that stuff is NASTY!
    Don't judge. Those are the nights my Polk system gets a real work-out.

  10. #130

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    They emailed people who that affected. So no email means no worries for you.
    Riiiiight....

  11. #131

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    982

  12. #132

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Riiiiight....
    actually I did *finally* get an email from them late last night. It is beyond me as to why they didn't just come forward and send out the email right away as soon as they were hacked. Completely and utterly stupid.

  13. #133

    Member Sales Rating: (20)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    7th Circle of Hell - aka DFW
    Posts
    10,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    I'm done with all Sony products after this. Once my PS3 bites it, that's it. I've owned several of their products, some higher end and never found them to be that reliable. I never received any email warning me about a breach or that my personal info may have been put at risk. Like I said, this is till Sony's pooch and if this is the way they're going to treat their customers, they can kma.
    I gotta say, normally I'm not one to overreact and would typically laugh at someone who makes a statement like that, arguing that its absurd to leave a company over one incident.

    However, in this case I'm inclined to agree with you here. The fact that it ever happened is absurd, the fact that it took them so long to tell us about it is inexcusable.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

    Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

    Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

  14. #134

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I'm just gonna go and not purchase anything using my credit card =/
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 04-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.

  15. #135

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44114/Geoh...ck-is-not-cool
    Hate to say it, but I totally agree with the guy.

  16. #136

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    So far my card information has not been compromised and I do think Sony screwed up massively.

    However, this has nothing to do with PSN being free, it has to do with Sony stirring the hive and angst filled hackers attacking, that combined with sub par security.

    Sony undoubtedly made a major oversight in this case, as did MS with the record setting failure rates of Xbox 360 hardware.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection

  17. #137

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44114/Geoh...ck-is-not-cool
    Hate to say it, but I totally agree with the guy.
    +1

    The guy is a security expert, pretty much knows Sony first hand, is in the 'in' with the hacker community and had every reason to be a dick against Sony (after his run in) but didn't.

    I don't see him list PSN's lack of subscription fees as the sole reason to this breach.

  18. #138

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I also FINALLY got an email last night regarding the possible data breach containing my personal information. I knew I was probably involved in the breach, but that is a long time to wait to confirm.

    My biggest problem with SONY all these years has been their terrible attempt at closed systems. There are plenty of companies that do this, but do it well (e.g. Apple). SONY has consistently screwed customers by insisting on custom connectors or software (rootkit, anyone?), and the PSN is another example of this. I'm not exactly sure why I was required to be logged into the PSN to play Netflix, Hulu, or NHL GameCenter apps. Second, although I don't game, and never use the PS3 other than the above apps + DVD/BR player, I was forced to provide a credit card to download the GameCenter app. Clearly, they saved that information somewhere and now I'm paying for it.

    I'm probably just ranting here, but I'm pissed that they don't learn from their mistakes, insist on customers using their system, but then don't provide the back-end support that customers require. I'm not upset at closed systems; I'm upset at closed systems that don't offer much benefit to the consumer, and are implemented/protected so poorly the customer ends up worse for the wear.

  19. #139

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    When my Xbox 360 gave me the RRoD, MS extended the warranty to 3 years, fixed my unit, and sent it back in 2 weeks (IIRC).

    My first PS3 was returned because the internal fans were stuck at full speed so it sounded like a Harrier Jumpjet taking off in the living room. I promptly returned it to the store.

    When my 2nd PS3 started to hiccup when attempting to read Blu-rays after I performed an update 1 month past the warranty date (month 13), Sony gave me the bird. Now, this.

    I'm done with Sony.

  20. #140

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,791

    Default

    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  21. #141

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    When my Xbox 360 gave me the RRoD, MS extended the warranty to 3 years, fixed my unit, and sent it back in 2 weeks (IIRC).

    My first PS3 was returned because the internal fans were stuck at full speed so it sounded like a Harrier Jumpjet taking off in the living room. I promptly returned it to the store.

    When my 2nd PS3 started to hiccup when attempting to read Blu-rays after I performed an update 1 month past the warranty date (month 13), Sony gave me the bird. Now, this.

    I'm done with Sony.
    I get your point, but as I'm on my 12th 360 since launch (and no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't really ding Sony on their relatively minor hardware issues.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

  22. #142

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    I get your point, but as I'm on my 12th 360 since launch (and no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't really ding Sony on their relatively minor hardware issues.
    I've bought two PS3s and haven't had a problem with them. Ever. I've gone through so many Xbox 360s I can't count them. It's unfortunate this had to happen to Sony. Still a fan.

  23. #143

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    I get your point, but as I'm on my 12th 360 since launch (and no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't really ding Sony on their relatively minor hardware issues.
    LOL. Yeah, I remember reading about your 360 challenges. At least you don't have to shell out $180 to get it fixed or I'm hoping you didn't. And, a PS3 that can't read BR disks also cannot read game disks, or at least mine can't, which makes it a major hardware issue. No issues feeding it DVD's.

  24. #144

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    LOL. Yeah, I remember reading about your 360 challenges. At least you don't have to shell out $180 to get it fixed or I'm hoping you didn't. And, a PS3 that can't read BR disks also cannot read game disks, or at least mine can't, which makes it a major hardware issue. No issues feeding it DVD's.
    No, they covered them all. Since then, I sold two and bought a 360 Slim and it's solid. Never bought a PS3 because I got an Oppo BDP-83 for my Blu-ray needs. If there were ever a Sony exclusive that I cared about though, I'd buy a PS3 just for the hell of it... though I hate the controller with a passion.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

  25. #145

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ysss View Post
    I don't see him list PSN's lack of subscription fees as the sole reason to this breach.
    They have nothing to do with the breach, as mentioned earlier Sony was targeted for a reason. Even if there was a subscription fee they still would have been hit.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  26. #146

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Well every time you use your credit card you are putting the number out there. Doenst matter how you use it.

    At restaunts the waiter or waitress could have a portable skimmer in their apron. Swip your card through it on the way to the restraunts cash register.

    Using it over the phone. You give the guy the number along with your billing and shipping address.

    Places you purchase stuff saves your credit card number. They can be hacked just like the psn.

    If you dont want your info out there then I would just use cash. Your info has probably been breached several times. It just didnt go main streem meadia news like the PSN.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

  27. #147

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    They have nothing to do with the breach, as mentioned earlier Sony was targeted for a reason. Even if there was a subscription fee they still would have been hit.
    All organizations that are targeted by hackers are targeted for a reason. What does that have to do with the fact their their inferior security system/team failed to stop the attack on it's network and their customers?

    The only reason this is news is because the hacker's were successful. You don't hear about all of the foiled or unsuccessful attacks. Getting hit doesn't mean squat unless the person(s) gets through and does damage.

    Leaving a potential $3.5 billion dollar revenue stream on the table that's directly related to the service that was attacked is just plain dumb business. Whether it would have been or not, it's money that could have been spent to bolster a system that was weak and unstable prior to this failure. It's money that could have been spent to ensure, at the very least, that some needle dick hacker would have a much harder time being successful.

    No security system is unable to be penetrated. That doesn't mean you leave your door wide open.

  28. #148

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    All organizations that are targeted by hackers are targeted for a reason. What does that have to do with the fact their their inferior security system/team failed to stop the attack on it's network and their customers?

    The only reason this is news is because the hacker's were successful. You don't hear about all of the foiled or unsuccessful attacks. Getting hit doesn't mean squat unless the person(s) gets through and does damage.

    Leaving a potential $3.5 billion dollar revenue stream on the table that's directly related to the service that was attacked is just plain dumb business. Whether it would have been or not, it's money that could have been spent to bolster a system that was weak and unstable prior to this failure. It's money that could have been spent to ensure, at the very least, that some needle dick hacker would have a much harder time being successful.

    No security system is unable to be penetrated. That doesn't mean you leave your door wide open.
    This $3.5 billion dollar windfall you keep talking about is nothing but BS. You honestly think that if Sony had charged for PSN access from the beginning it would have had NO effect on its hardware and software sales? I for one would have never bought a PS3, or the dozens of PS3 and PSP games on PSN if there had been an access charge. You keep trying to simplify complex things into smaller things that fit into the mold YOU want.

    I cannot understand how you fail to see that PSN is NOT free. Just because people are not paying a fee directly designated as an access fee like MS does with Xbox, does not mean the service is free. Its no more free for the user than it is for Sony to run it.

    Did Microsoft spend more money on its network infrastructure than Sony? I'm guessing so. Does spending more money on a network infrastructure increase its security? In all likelihood, yes. Does that money specifically have to come from a separate revenue stream that's designated as an access fee? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

    If you came into this thread saying Sony screwed up and should have spent more money securing its network, there would not be ONE person disagreeing with you. But you are SOOOO hung up on pissing off some PS3 fanboys who pissed in your Wheaties, you can't see past the end of your nose. I'm still in disbelief that you can't wrap you head around the simple concept that Sony and MS simply chose two different pricing models to pay for their network -- one with fees hidden in costs for hardware/software, and the other with a distinct designated access fee.

  29. #149

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,322

    Default

    One thing I haven't seen anyone mention (at least from my skimming) is the fact that the monthly fee is nice and all, but it's really the "micro transactions" for both Sony and Microsoft that make the bankroll. The COD map packs for example are just insane in regards to how many people pick them up at $15 a pop. I know they don't get all the money, but even their cut is a nice chunk.

    Long story short, I'm guessing the majority of the profit derived from online console usage are more related to the "nickel and diming" of today's gamers. Want the throw back jerseys for your football team? You can have them for 2.99. Old stadiums in MLB 11? Have at it for 3-5$.

    And as an aside, why is no one comparing Nintendo here. They offer online play, as well as a few online apps and all that is free of charge. Granted it's a somewhat different client base, and you don't buy a Wii with online play as your primary objective, but in the end it's still the same idea right? I'm asking b/c I honestly don't know how their "online community" is structured.

    Either way, I'm supremely pissed at how Sony has handled this situation. It was like they knew they'd gotten caught cheating and were afraid to go home to the wife or something. It doesn't change anything Sony....you still dropped the ball.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

    2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

    2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ


    "It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

  30. #150

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    late to the game. what's up 'vryone? i never put my card info on psn. am i safe? yeah, i'm lazy. hook me up.

    POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

    XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

    http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Cause of Northeast blackout found...........
    By hlalanne in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
  2. Photos of NYC 2003 Blackout... Amazing!!
    By TonyPTX in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts