Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default On the search ....

...for some speaker cable to match the system.

The gear I am acquiring is naturally very foward and bright. AMC cd player, pre amp, amps. I will be using Kimber HERO interconnects. The speakers will be LSi-15's.

Now I intended on purchasing Kimber bi-wire, but I am having concerns that the combination will make even the very tame Lsi's, sound unbearably "hot".

So now its been a hunt to find the best bi-wire cable (6 ft pair prefered) for under $250 USD to match this system.

I've looked into:

Transparent. Nothing affordable has yet to show up.

MIT. The adv*or is it adt?* line is a tad more than what Im willing to spend.

AudioQuest. Never heard their stuff before, but I just cant help but think of "monster cable"...

Anaylisis Plus. Originally was going to own it, cancelled the order at the last second - now I cant find it.. damn

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I have looked over ebay, audiogon, and usedcables.com... have come up relatively dry. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Audiogon is a great cable resource, I find it odd you couldn't find anything in that price bracket. MIT/Transparent will be in approximately the same price bracket.

Audio Advisor has MIT Terminator2 Bi for $249/ 8ft pr. minus connector ends. They twist on. The terminator series is the equal of the AVt series cables. MIT makes a very nice speaker cable.

I only have experience w/ AQ interconnects, but it is certainly no exact copy of MC.

Just keep looking, don't be in a hurry.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

ATC,

I think that it may be difficult to make the LSi sound "unbearably" hot. I just don't think its going to happen with the Vifa.. I could be wrong. IMHO, I have found the interconnects to have a more profound influence on the sound than speaker wire (after upgrading from Monster XP).

MIT I read has a neutral sound and AudioAdvisor has some in your price range here:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...tribute_1=8+ft

Wanna really be different? Try out Nordost Solar Wind in your price range as well. I see Nordost used as a component in a lot of Magazine reviews like Stereophile, etc. They tend to use the "blue heaven" and the "red dawn" more but on a variety of systems. Check out Nordst website for some reviews.

http://www.hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=315

Lots of positive reviews on Audioreview.com for Nordost as well.

I also think that you should keep the end in mind. If you want to get into Music Fidelity one day, you will maybe want to keep your interconnects for that as well.

Man this is a tough decision without listening and without someone who actually owns a similar rig that you have that you trust that can give you solid advice.

Heck, half the fun is listening and deciding for yourself. At least you are in the group of us here who believes in wire and can "hear" a difference.

Why not just use the IXOS super gamma 7 for now and save some green? Did you get rid of it?

Good luck bud,
    PJ

Stronzo

Mark,

It must be a slow week. I have only now begun a serious cable search. It wont be for another two-three weeks till I can lay down some green on them. I am just checking out to see what is available.

Roughly 10 months ago, I purchased a pair of MIT Terminator 4 cables. They were my first "up-scale" speaker wires. I did notice an improvement in sound. I loved the thickness and the "magic box".

Then one winter day I purchased some Ixos gamma wire for .69 cents a foot. I was curious to see how it would perform against the MIT...after all, it was "purdy" and "cool" lookin. I was suprised when I could not detect for the life of me, an audible difference between the two cables. Thats how I got hooked on Ixos.

That being said, while I respect the MIT Terminator series, Im rather hesitant towards buying that cable again.

PJ,

That Nordost is tempting, very very tempting. Definately something that I will keep in mind.

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE lack of audio cables to demo around here. Straight Wire and Ixos is the only variation I have witnessed so far.

Most of my experience with audio equipment has been purchasing on the reviews and recommendations of others. I have wasted a lot of cash doing that. It comes with the territory. But I have also reaped the rewards of that advice as well. This is just another instance where I will have to take a chance.

You and I seem to have simular rigs....or rather, simular taste... If you say the single run of Transparent wire is better than the Ixos Super Gamma bi-wire....then I will believe you.

As for preparing for the future. Im a spot of the moment individual. I will lay out a plan far in advance, but it will change constantly... sometimes on the whim.

Originally, I was going to use the SDA's,.... now I will have the LSi-15's...

Radio Shack cables - now I have kimbers

No tv - Now I have an HDTV

No "mono"s... and now I will have em..

You get the picture...

As far as Musical Fidelity is concerned. Its just not feasable.... This rigs soul purpose is to provide me with sound that will keep me happy enough, until I can afford a rig of a higher caliber.

Its a huge challenge ... and I hope....and pray, it will come together and work out.

Regards,

Sean

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Audio advisor.. seems to have some Audio quest mammoth speaker cables for 50% off right now. might be worth checking out. 6ft pair runs about $239
    Last edited by danger boy; 08-28-2003 at 10:21 PM.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Sean,

Just a note about that MIT T4 cable that you tried, it's the entry level cable. Not their best effort at all.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Stronzo

F1,

Ive heard quite a bit of positive feedback about MIT's higher-end cables. Wish I could demo a pair or two..... but afraid thats just not going to occur anytime soon.

Danger,

Oh yes, Im boycotting AudioAdvisor. The pricks...

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Sean,

why the boycott? i've only purchased cables from them before. didn't have any problems.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Actually, the Terminator 6 is the 'entry' level MIT, the 4 series is a couple notches up the food chain.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo

Danger boy,

Purchase 1:

Kimber Hero Interconnects. I put in my home address.... and selected UPS GROUND. They shipped it VIA USPS. I called them about it...they seemed rather unconcerned.

Problem is, I have a PO BOX for USPS orders.. So when the shipment label has my home addy - they arent too pleased.

Ok -it was delievered - mistakes happen - its cool

Purchase 2:

Kimber Hero Interconnects. This time I changed my address to the PO BOX, selected USPS. They still shipped it using the home address label.

This time around, the supervisor of the post office came to my house. When my parents went to go pick up the package...they got bitched at for audio advisors error.

Issue 3:

In both purchases, my receipts indicated proper information. The shipping invoices did not. Wtf here, over?

Issue 4:

I wrote them a tactfull complaint E-mail, explaining to them what had occured. A company that gives a **** would at least respond with an apology, or something along those lines. They are very effecient to respond to a query if you are interested in buying something..... As you can imagine - I've recieved no response.

In short - Until they can deliver the goods as instructed, and display a sense of concern for their customers - they will not be recieving my business anytime soon...

Member Sales Rating: (58)

What F1 meant as far as entry level MIT, is that the Terminator series WAS their entry level line....6, 5, 4 whatever, they are still the same cable in effect. They have three more high end lines available currently, above the AVt(Current). None of which fall into Sean's price bracket new or used.

Sean - Well, it is all in what you hear. If IXOS worked for you, then that is what counts. I certainly sympathize with your hesitation. It is a bad feeling when you get a A/B like that, after spending money.

Thread Information