Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default Calibration and Tweaking , is it in you?

Got a question for all you tweakers,
    Are you a calibration nut? I find myself repositioning and calibrating my system weekly or when I'm bored. I also find myself behind the rack looking for a reason to move around or replace some wires.

Right now I'm eagerly awaiting my crossovers for all my speakers which is a new Tweak for me. I always felt if I wanted to Tweak my speakers , I got new ones. I also now find myself wanting to add power cords , better speaker wire and sub wires. I decided not to upgrade my speakers right now instead trying out these crossover Tweaks. I still love my Pioneer Elite SC-07 and haven't seen a reason to replace it. New Elite models this summer which is going to kill me as the mighty SC-09 is finally getting replaced. One can only dream of whats coming. I'm assuming a SC-49 model with some killer upgrades. This is going to be a huge problem for me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I will admit my Super Towers have been in the same spot for.... a long time now. I have no desire to move them either. They sound freakin incredible in a position I thought would have sucked.

I used the Cardas method to place them and love it..

I will say I am constantly breaking down my system every 3-6 months and cleaning it front to back and reorganizing the cables as things move in and out....

But honestly - as you mentioned... crossovers and modifying my speakers have taken place of moving them
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Upgrading the crossovers -vs- changing out the SC's......? There is no comparison. The Xover upgrades offer SO much more. Good luck and happy listening. Your ears are about to be so, so happy.

PC's should be the last on the list, in my experience as they yield minimal [the last 3%] results....if any unless you are using a sub. IC's can yield as much as 20% in my experience and can sound as if you had gotten a new amplifier. This, all depends on the IC used and can vary as little as the PC's.

The room and its acoustics play a larger role than one might think, so please do not disregard that aspect. Have fun, no matter what you do.
    Last edited by treitz3; 05-01-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Sloooooow ass internet.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I have been wanting to tear down my system just to do some cleaning and cable managment as well, but I have the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 coming in this week so I will probably wait a couple more weeks.. As far as my HT set-up I need to do some tweeking and calibration it's been to long and with the new BDP I still need to spend some time with, Dan I think you just gave me a chore to do!!!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I did the calibration and tweaking like crazy for the initial setup. After I got it done to my liking, I don't touch anything again.

It's set it and forget it kind of things for me.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    I have been wanting to tear down my system just to do some cleaning and cable managment as well, but I have the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 coming in this week so I will probably wait a couple more weeks.. As far as my HT set-up I need to do some tweeking and calibration it's been to long and with the new BDP I still need to spend some time with, Dan I think you just gave me a chore to do!!!
    Nice!!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Upgrading the crossovers -vs- changing out the SC's......? There is no comparison. The Xover upgrades offer SO much more. Good luck and happy listening. Your ears are about to be so, so happy.

PC's should be the last on the list, in my experience as they yield minimal [the last 3%] results....if any unless you are using a sub. IC's can yield as much as 20% in my experience and can sound as if you had gotten a new amplifier. This, all depends on the IC used and can vary as little as the PC's.

The room and its acoustics play a larger role than one might think, so please do not disregard that aspect. Have fun, no matter what you do.
    I'm hoping so , I'm already happy with my sound but if I can improve on it , why not right?
    Changing out Power cords , Interconnects and such is fun and usually yields some improvements if what you remove is lacking. Sometimes just change is good. I have a pretty nice collection which over the years I have been thinning out.
    Dan

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I only upgrade my HT if in my opinion it will make a big difference. I'm almost ready to get the Oppo BDP-93, as soon as I'll sell my Toshiba HD-XA2 and the entire 55-movie HD-DVD collection. Then PS3 will go... The next step will be to upgrade to the stand-alone processor (from Onkyo TX-SR805 to most likely Integra 40.2).
    I guess I finally figured out that most of the money should go into the real things like a house mortgage rather than spending it on my audio and motorcycle hobbies...

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    but I have the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 coming in this week so I will probably wait a couple more weeks..
    Nice! Let us know how you like it.. and welcome to the W4S Dac club =) I love mine...

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by punk-roc View Post
    Nice! Let us know how you like it.. and welcome to the W4S Dac club =) I love mine...

Jason
    I have a Dodd ELP as well I use now and then..

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I usually tweak every few months or so. I'll calibrate, move the speakers out into the theater, measure and repeat until done. I will break out the SPL meter and check things on a regular though.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Just broke out the Bosch laser distant measurer the other day. Speaker placement is so critical it's unbelievable. This thing is so acurate that the movement of a mere 1/16" can make all the difference in the world. Toe in angle is also precise. Then I moved my subs around & recalibrated with the DSPeaker Anti-Mode & the difference was again unbelievable. Now I'm perfectely set for both HT & 2 channel. It does pay off being a tweak freak!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

My system has never been calibrated, and has been in the same spot for the last 3 years. I've swapped a few components out, but the speakers have such a groove worn in the carpet, if I move them, it's easy to get them right back in the same spot.

Ultimately, I haven't changed much in my system in the last 3 years. And yet... I'm happy with it!
    Ludicrous gibs!

The 2 channel has no calibration,no tone controls, and I wired
    around the balance knob. Once in a while a move a speaker a litlle bit.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Nope. Even if I had the ability, I wouldn't have the patience.

Thread Information