Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What projectors are you using?

hey forum,

so i was thinking, what are some of the trade offs with projectors, verusus solid sets. Modern tv sets with led or lcd. (I know CRT still rules with blacks and colors.)

but i have been looking at many of your HT rooms and others posted through out the innerwebz and noticed a good deal of people with projectors and 100+ screens.

soooooo, what are you using? favs? strengths, weakness?

want to know your thoughts.

ESR

i'm using the epson 8700UB..... very nice for sports and movies.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Epson 8100. Once you go to a PJ, a TV just won't cut it for movies or sports.

Strengths: Size, PQ is great, true theater experience
    Weaknesses: This may be stupid, but with a PJ, I feel like I have to invest some time into watching if I power it up. Hook up is not always easy because you'll have a long cable run whether it be speaker cables or cable to the PJ. Generally speaking, you need a dedicated room with a PJ.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (1)

JVC RS10, before that JVC HD1. Solid blacks, excellent all around performance. Very film like though a digital projector.

Nice your doing your homework, come on over to the dark side. I have 126" screen in HT, it's awesome.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Also like to add, at this point most projectors are going to be pretty darn good. Digital projectors have come a long way, compared to a few yrs ago. They will continue to get better as most technology (LED/Laser) does with time. I don't think you would have any regret in the 2K or less price range. There is a alot of bang for buck out there, and that goes for screens as well OP.

Ok I'm done, feel free to ask any other questions you may have. There are quite a few of us using PJ's now so more experience/knowledge.

Epson 8500UB. As far as tradeoffs, nothing other than the obvious - light control and the cost of bulbs. If you have a dark room or can spend a little jack on some blackout shades, there's nothing better than a HD projector on a big-ass screen.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Are you guys having to run on High Lamp mode at all ? I find myself running on High Lamp mode around the 1K hr mark. Any of you guys having to do so with the Epson's or Panasonic models?

I owned the entry level Optoma HD20 for about a year and I loved it. Movies and sports were so awesome. Games were cool for the the size, but some (COD) you really notice the degradation as you get up there in picture size. Blacks aren't near as good as a decent Plasma set.

I ended up selling it and buying my current Plasma because I got sick of the whole "time invested" thing like PSOVLSK mentioned earlier. You really have to know you are going to sit down and play for a while. You can't keep turning it on just to check something, or because you forgot to set something to record or whatever. Also you do need a completely black room to enjoy it to the fullest.

I recently tried the Epson 8350 and ended up returning it a couple days after. For whatever reason it just didn't seem to as enjoyable as the last time I owned the Optoma. I don't know if it's because I enjoy the deep blacks on my Plasma way too much to give it up, or what.

I think the best advice is to make sure you do have a dedicated theater room for it. Also, having both an HDTV and an HD projector is the best way to go. When I move into a place where I can have a dedicated theater, I will be doing that. PJ for movies/sports/tv and HDTV for gaming and short-time use.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by piker View Post
    I owned the entry level Optoma HD20 for about a year and I loved it. Movies and sports were so awesome. Games were cool for the the size, but some (COD) you really notice the degradation as you get up there in picture size. Blacks aren't near as good as a decent Plasma set.
    I am also using an Optoma HD20. No complaints here for the price.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

JVC HD250 with a 100" 1.1 gain screen from Elite.

I've also had the older Sharp PJ's such as the 12K, 9K, ect which are 720P but awesome looking still as they are cheap to get.

Also have used an epson 8350 but wasn't impressed with the auto iris and prefer something without it.

I love the JVC line and probably stick with them for all the rest of my PJ's.

Also have had a optoma HD20 in my room which wasn't too bad for the price either.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Optoma 720p here for first projector. I am working on replacing both Sony CRT 27" TVs with projection. DLP projectors are the best, better contrast therefore better black levels and they can also be operated in brighter rooms.

At this point, I am sampling Epson Accolade Duet ELPSC80 projection screen for the bedroom, living room, and portable duty. I am considering a new NEC projector, DLP and apparently provides for short throw projection (approx. 3') which would provide for better performance (the closer the projection the less demanding for a perfect picture).

I have to wait for our sister company to receive theirs and do the testing and evaluation. If the new NEC meets my expectations, I will move away from Optoma for my 2nd PJ, we use the NEC on a daily basis here at work and they are fine projector for the price so if that new short throw meets my expectation this is what I will get as 2nd PJ.

You mentioned CRT ruling and you are right however, with this garbage plasma and LCD panels out there CRT is no longer an option. The pros of LCD and Plasma is their light weight compared to CRT and take less footprint however, the cons is the short life span which is ridiculous when you consider price paid.

IMHO, projectors are of better value then any panels as except for the lamp, the lifespan is simple based on how good you treat them and at least they are repairable. When you think about it, projection in most instances will even take less footprint then panels. Panels provide TV experience while projection provides Theater experience. I do not think I will ever buy a panel for my home.

I wish I had a projector instead of a wishlist!

Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    I wish I had a projector instead of a wishlist!
    Dreams and wishes do come true. On a budget

Projector w/ Full warranty

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/proj...-Cinema-8100-R

At least 100" inch screen

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Wides...69ax-100ms.htm

All in the 1K price range.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

One of my biggest mistakes was selling my projector. Movies just aren't the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    Are you guys having to run on High Lamp mode at all ? I find myself running on High Lamp mode around the 1K hr mark. Any of you guys having to do so with the Epson's or Panasonic models?
    The Epson bulbs are rated for the same life in both full and eco mode, so I've run mine in full since day one. Plus, in eco mode, the color temp tends to shift to being a little too pink. 2,400 hours and counting on it, and it is still damn near blinding when a bright scene comes on and black levels are good enough that I don't use the auto-iris. Beats the hell out of the Sanyo I had before it (and their bulbs go dim FAST... like at 700 hours). Not to mention the fact that Epson has been running promos where you get a free bulb, so you'd be good for a while.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Yup Shedp,

You found me out. I am doing my home work.

this purchase is a long way down the line, but by then there should be some good advancements and perhaps price reductions.

Long out would be about 2 years. first comes external amps. speaker upgrades and then on to the dedicated room and projector.

fun stuff.

ESR

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Went to a JVC HD1 here from an Epson Home Cinema, never once second guess my decision on going to a JVC projector. The one thing I miss the most about the Epson was it was half the size and weight of my JVC. Epson makes a solid performer at their price point so don't shy away from them. If moneys not an object, definately look into the King of Blacks, JVC all the way.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

Dreams and wishes do come true. On a budget

Projector w/ Full warranty

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/proj...-Cinema-8100-R

At least 100" inch screen

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Wides...69ax-100ms.htm

All in the 1K price range.
    Unfortunately, the first item on the wishlist is turning the garage into a home theater.

I have a Infocus X1 that is about 8 years old and still has a great picture. It is mounted to the ceiling of my bonus room as a dedicated home theater. Once you watch movies on a projection system with a good surround sound system you will not want to watch movies again on a tv. My only complaint with the new projectors is that they are native 16:9. The Infocus is a 4:3. My screen is 4:3 at 120".

Quote Originally Posted by jim 249 View Post
    I have a Infocus X1 that is about 8 years old and still has a great picture. It is mounted to the ceiling of my bonus room as a dedicated home theater. Once you watch movies on a projection system with a good surround sound system you will not want to watch movies again on a tv. My only complaint with the new projectors is that they are native 16:9. The Infocus is a 4:3. My screen is 4:3 at 120".
    See post 14 when your ready to upgrade.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Anybody had any experience with Vapex Screens?

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...APEX9100&AR=HT

I was looking to pick up one of these in the 100'' size, I really like the 3'' boarder and the black backing. Anyone know how they compare to the Elites in the same $350 range?
    Last edited by millerman 3732; 06-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by millerman 3732 View Post
    Anybody had any experience with Vapex Screens?

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...APEX9100&AR=HT

I was looking to pick up one of these in the 100'' size, I really like the 3'' boarder and the black backing. Anyone know how they compare to the Elites in the same $350 range?
    Most of the user reviews over at AVS seem good. Here is one from Art

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172842

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...for-the-bucks/

As for Elite screens the only one I've seen was Grims and it looks awesome with the JVC. His screen frame seems to be comparable but not sure if it is 3" like the Apex and Caradas. Both are great screens performance wise, both look good when not in use.

nice looking.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Really like my JVC HD250. Big improvement to black level and contrast over the Panasonic AE700 it replaced. I also really like the motorized zoom, shift, and focus...and the fact that it looks like it will vaporize you (think evil spacecraft).
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Went thru a bunch... originally used a 150 lb NEC XG135 CRT projector, then went to a Davis DL450 (800x600) projector, then to a NEC HT1000 (1024x7680, Marantz VP12S3 and settled down on a JVC RS1. Screen is a 108" (diagonal) Stewart Filmscreen 1.3 gain microperf Studiotek.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Most of the user reviews over at AVS seem good. Here is one from Art

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172842

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...for-the-bucks/

As for Elite screens the only one I've seen was Grims and it looks awesome with the JVC. His screen frame seems to be comparable but not sure if it is 3" like the Apex and Caradas. Both are great screens performance wise, both look good when not in use.
    Thanks dude, I found an Elite sable frame on amazon for about $100 less

than the Vapex after shipping, doesnt have the 3.5'' boarder but does have a

2.5'' velvet-ish boarder and the black screen backing. Supposed to be the

same screen material as the EZ frame . Its got to be better than the DaLite

I'm using now, its the cinema vision version that has some type of gold tinge

to it thats is a pain in the ass to calibrate with.
    Casey

Another very affordable and highly rated screen is from these folks.

http://seymourav.com/

I hope to start on my dedicated HT after the first of the year.

I don't have the equipment on order yet, but right now I'm planning to do a 130" diagonal (120" wide x 50" tall) Monoprice screen (which is possibly a relabeled/OEM Grandview):
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    with an Epson 8700UB projector.

Total "street" cost should hopefully be < $2500, maybe much less if I can find a sale.

I buy 90% of everything on Amazon, but the Monoprice screens appear to be a much better deal to me...
    Current polk speakers:
    Family room 5.1: TC265i R/L, VM10 Center, RC65i surrounds (couldn't match the TCs)
    Basement non-dedicated 7.1 HT: SDA-CRS+ R/L, 255c-LS Center, LSiFX surrounds, RC80i in-ceiling rear surround, plus Wharfedale 12" sub (building 15" F-20 sub).

Quote Originally Posted by CNWDI View Post
    I don't have the equipment on order yet, but right now I'm planning to do a 130" diagonal (120" wide x 50" tall) Monoprice screen (which is possibly a relabeled/OEM Grandview):
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    with an Epson 8700UB projector.

Total "street" cost should hopefully be < $2500, maybe much less if I can find a sale.

I buy 90% of everything on Amazon, but the Monoprice screens appear to be a much better deal to me...
    Bigger is better, but keep in mind you will lose about 30-40% brightness as the lamp ages during use. So you may want to consider something little smaller unless you don't mind running the projector on High lamp and footing the bill for lamps.

The Epsons are rated for 4,000 hours even in high lamp, so he's good. I have 2,700 hours on my 8500UB and it's still brighter than my Sanyo PLV-Z2000 was even at its brightest. Plus, Epson has been offering free spare lamps with purchase lately anyway.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Thread Information