Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Thumbs up Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2

My new and first stand alone DAC is in the house.. I won't get any time with it till the weekend but that will give me some time to read up on it more before hand. I will say the build quality is great,and packaged to withstand the hands of UPS!!! without having my ears on it yet as it stands the only weak point if one really wanted to pick one would be the remote very cheap IMO but I doubt I will use it much after I get it all set up..

I almost went with the Benchmark, I got to see them at the audio show last year and from what I got to hear they sounded good, and the build quality from the outside looked great but I read mixed reveiws about it, then Mike (FACE) changed my path for my first DAC with the W4S. so when I get her up and going I will post my thoughts on it..

Till then CHEERS!!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

go W4S!
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You have more restraint than I have... I'd be knocking off work early and keeping the family up late. Congrats on the purchase... those things look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by On3s&Z3r0s View Post
    You have more restraint than I have... I'd be knocking off work early and keeping the family up late. Congrats on the purchase... those things look awesome!
    Likewise!

I can't wait for the review! I've heard a lot about this DAC, good things of course.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Can't wait for the review. Very nice new toy.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    My new and first stand alone DAC is in the house.. I won't get any time with it till the weekend but that will give me some time to read up on it more before hand. I will say the build quality is great,and packaged to withstand the hands of UPS!!! without having my ears on it yet as it stands the only weak point if one really wanted to pick one would be the remote very cheap IMO but I doubt I will use it much after I get it all set up..

I almost went with the Benchmark, I got to see them at the audio show last year and from what I got to hear they sounded good, and the build quality from the outside looked great but I read mixed reveiws about it, then Mike (FACE) changed my path for my first DAC with the W4S. so when I get her up and going I will post my thoughts on it..

Till then CHEERS!!!!!
    Wonder if you sent the oppo back and got this intead

Oh my,in my Jack Benny Voice.....You will need at least 500hrs of burn in/break in time, before you give it, any serious review,right guys? :)
    PolkAudioClyde

mine took about 200 or so
    2-Channel - So far...

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Wink

Till then CHEERS!!!!!
    I joined the W4S DAC-2 club, too. Mine will arrive early next week, can't wait
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

I've had it for a number of months now, it's fantastic - I also use it as a preamp. It has a few hiccups with the addition or removal of other USB devices while using it as a soundcard via USB, and maybe some other software side glitches, but is a fantastic device. Enjoy it! Great choice
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

I have read that people sometimes have some software issues with it.. but I haven't a single issue the last few months I've had it.. Just plugged my netbook into it and its be perfect every since.. 5+ hours a day

I never disconnect or add any other devices though.. just leave my netbook attached

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...

Congratulations!

Looking forward to more reviews and opinions on this unit.

I have been running a W4S DAC-2 in my system for a while now. I've been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by punk-roc View Post
    I have read that people sometimes have some software issues with it.. but I haven't a single issue the last few months I've had it.. Just plugged my netbook into it and its be perfect every since.. 5+ hours a day

I never disconnect or add any other devices though.. just leave my netbook attached

Jason
    I run it on XP, and do run games and music simultaneously, so I think it might have to do with how the software (since it doesn't go through a sound card) combines those streams before sending them via USB to the DAC. I doubt I would have any issue at all if I ran it from a soundcard with a digital output, but I prefer to use USB
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

Quote Originally Posted by sm88 View Post
    I've had it for a number of months now, it's fantastic - I also use it as a preamp.
    That's exactly what I'm going to use it for.
    For my computer (Squeezebox server) which is in my little office, I already got a Kingwa NFB-3 DAC.
    The W4S DAC-2 is going to be dedicated for my bedroom set and won't need any computer connection. It will be paired with my Logitech Touch via digital coax for music streaming, with my Oppo BDP-95 via analog RCA for Bluray/SACD/CD play, and with my DirecTV DVR via optical for sattelite sound. It will be connected directly to the Emo XPA-2 amp (although I'm thinking about trying a matching W4S stereo amp soon, too ). Well, at least that's my current intention. With this setup, I won't need to use my Denon AVR-4810ci in the bedroom via Zone2 connection anymore.
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by sm88 View Post
    I run it on XP, and do run games and music simultaneously, so I think it might have to do with how the software (since it doesn't go through a sound card) combines those streams before sending them via USB to the DAC. I doubt I would have any issue at all if I ran it from a soundcard with a digital output, but I prefer to use USB
    Mine is connected via USB for 2 channel, surround sound and gaming is connected to my receiver via the HDMI out on my video card, never had an issue in Win7x64.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (24)

congrats! Hope you enjoy the unit and also let us know how you plan on using it. USB or from a CDP into it etc.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (6)

pics man, pics...

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

My new and first stand alone DAC is in the house..
    Congrats! I've had one for quite a while and I'm very happy with it. It will be in my system for a long time. As others have mentioned, the software can be a tad annoying at first, but it's pretty minor. I've put my DAC2 head to head with the Perfectwave DAC and the only difference I could detect was a slightly wider soundstage with the Perfectwave. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Till then CHEERS!!!!!
    Has anyone done a direct comparison of this unit vs. the Benchmark? Very curious to hear thoughts.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Question

One question: can it be controlled by a Logitech Harmony? If yes, does it involve manual addition?
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Mine works flawlessly using USB and W2K7. J River is the way to go on Windows for a media player. You'll want the full version to get the kernal streaming mode.

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    One question: can it be controlled by a Logitech Harmony? If yes, does it involve manual addition?
    Yes, and possibly. Same code set as Wyred STP so you may find that in the database. I can't use the remote for my DAC-2 because I also have the Wyred STP-SE.

My plan is to use it USB from my laptop, and Coaxial from my CDP for now. I will post some pics later tonight if I get the chance.

I would like to know how the Wyred STP-SE holds up to the Adcom GFP-750!!!!! I love my pre amp but that STP-SE looks very nice!!!

I have never heard the Adcom but I like the guts of the Wyred better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wyred.jpg‎
Views:	168
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	57683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adcom.jpg‎
Views:	157
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	57684  

Got her up and running!!! sounds good so far, hearing my videos on my system was awesome..

will report back later...

I should have purchased a DAC a long time ago!!!! This thing is awesome!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

It's one of the more impressive DACS that I've heard in awhile. I'd put it above the Bryston easily as I've owned one of those as well.

Mike(Face) is also who turned me onto the brand during the last Polkfest.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Thanks Mark.

That answers one question I had from that gathering. I thought Mike's DAC might've been the one referred to in Larry's thread...

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    It's one of the more impressive DACS that I've heard in awhile. I'd put it above the Bryston easily as I've owned one of those as well.

Mike(Face) is also who turned me onto the brand during the last Polkfest.
    What about the Benchmark?? If I remember correctly your not a fan of them. The W4S is fun to play with, I love the volume control and that it can be used as a pre, not that I have tried that yet but still a cool feature. I only have about 20 hours of play time on it but it sounds great, I still have my 1C's in my rig and I'm loving it. I have been debating on leaving them there for a while and just put my 1.2tl's away. I really like what I'm hearing using my laptop. I still have a few things I want to mess with and spend a few more hours with it but I can see where and why the CD is slowly going away for the most part..

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Yeah, I've owned one of those as well TFL....and I'm not a fan despite some vague love on this website. Steveinaz is a big Benchmark fan and I respect his position and listening ability but haven't experienced the same love for that product. The W4S product is one of the better DACS(+) I've heard in the last year based on all the options it gave me, let alone a solid design. For me?! That's pretty big from a personal standpoint.

However, it doesn't mean I will even keep it in my rig since I like to move stuff around regardless of the influence....or as awesome as it does sound to me at the time.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 05-09-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information