Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I have a Benchmark. It's the second one I've owned. The first was one of the original DAC 1's. I liked it, didn't love it, but also hadn't built up much of a supporting system around it. Sold that quite a while back, but have now gone back to the Dac-1 Pre. The research I did was very critical of the opamps in the original unit, one of the reasons many modded it. The later units have much better opamps, and have been much more favorably reviewed.

The Benchmark is incredibly neutral and transparent, tipping to the analytical scale. Remember, first and foremost this is supposed to be a studio piece. The sound you'll get from it, naturally, is very much dependent on what you do with the output. Many Benchmark owners prefer the neutrality, speed, and clarity of it, but then make it much more musical with the preamp/amp/speaker combo. I've read several people being overwhelmingly happy with it matched in with a tube pre, and that's exactly what I'm about to embark on. It won't be my first tube pre, but it should be my last. More to come on that one...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The benchmark is a tell-it-like-it-is piece. Excellent recordings sound excellent, but bad recordings are not spared the warts--at all. I wish Benchmark had not dispensed with the AES/EBU digital input on the DAC1/PRE, as that input rendered a real nice analog sound.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Yes, I did notice that versus the original Dac1 I had. Not a big deal for me, as my source doesn't have it. What would have been really nice would have been the analog pre inputs being balanced. The tube pre I'm getting is balanced as well. But between, essentially, two balance pre-ams in line, I still only have a single balanced input.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I did get to hear the Benchmark but at an audio show and it sounded good, maybe someday I can try one out in my house with my gear...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Come on man, you're breaking your own rules. Pictures or it didn't happen!

BTW, you're thinking of putting your 1.2tl's away, Larry? Did you just lose your mind?
    Last edited by audio_alan; 05-09-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: comment on 1.2tls...

Here you go Alan,

Any of you who own this piece live in the NYC area? I would love to do a shootout with this and the Benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_alan View Post
    Come on man, you're breaking your own rules. Pictures or it didn't happen!

BTW, you're thinking of putting your 1.2tl's away, Larry? Did you just lose your mind?
    Yep I pulled my 1.2tl's these 1C's are sounding sweet, I never really broke them in after I upgraded them so time is now and I'm digging them, depending on what I'm listening to I think these sound tighter then the 1.2's..

Very nice, I like the build.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Yep I pulled my 1.2tl's these 1C's are sounding sweet, I never really broke them in after I upgraded them so time is now and I'm digging them, depending on what I'm listening to I think these sound tighter then the 1.2's..
    +1 for 1C's. I love mine.

It breaks my heart knowing that I'll have to let go of them one day, my wife and I are destined for much smaller living quarters once my son is done with high school in a few years. It's good to know that I've already got their eventual replacement, CRS+'s, on my workbench for a round of uber-mods.

Funny thing is that the piece of wood that it sits on was once for a 1C but I did not like the results so I went with Oak wood...

Nice! Thanks for the pic, Larry. Very attractive looking unit. What are your impressions after you've been living with it for a little while?

Yeah, I know what you mean about the 1C's sounding tighter (and mine aren't even modded yet). I still need to get mine setup permanently, but the amp I bought to run them got snagged on a set of SDA-SRS's, and I can't seem to break it free...

My 1C's sound mint, modded with Sonicaps, Mills, Erse, and RD0194's. Next up are rings, dynamat, and mortite.

I really want to try this dac head to head with the Benchmark...

I can see this DAC costing me more money then $1500 . I now want a nice monitor and media center, this is going to change the look of my rig, not only do I like having music at the touch of my finger but I also like playing music videos as well.. I have been shopping for a new rack and I'm glad I didn't buy one now that I have a whole different idea in my head. I now want to mount my TT to the wall now as well..

I wish I had something to compare this DAC to but with this being my first outboard DAC all I can say is this unit was well worth the money and changes everything..

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thumbs up

This Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 purchase is the best one I made during the last 2 years!!! 2-channel audio improvement was recognized in an instance, as soon as I got it hook up to my 2-channel bedroom set replacing the Denon AVR-4810ci Zone2 option. It helped me to fall in love with my Polk LSi15's even much more, and that's an understatement!!! Clear, smooth output with so much weight and texture added to the music!!! A very welcome addition to my audio gear set!!! I LOVE IT

Pic#1 - Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 pulling music from Logitech Squeezebox which was controlled by iPod Touch via iPeng app

Pic#2 - Coax1 {Mac 3' Digital-L digital coax from Logitech Squeezebox} --- TOS1 {Monster digital toslink from Oppo BDP-95} --- HT Bypass {Kimber Kable PBJ w/ WBT-0147 connectors from Denon AVR-4810ci} & Balance output {Kimber Kable Hero XLR's to Emotiva XPA-2 amp, even though this amp isn't a true balance amp }
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	W4SDAC2-Front.jpg‎
Views:	1786
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	58091   Click image for larger version

Name:	W4SDAC2-Back.jpg‎
Views:	1432
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	58092  
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Now you need to replace the Emo with a ST-500 and you'll be set.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    My 1C's sound mint, modded with Sonicaps, Mills, Erse, and RD0194's. Next up are rings, dynamat, and mortite.
    No need for Mortite after installing the rings.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Now you need to replace the Emo with a ST-500 and you'll be set.
    Don't you tempt me anymore, I've been thinking about it My Emo XPA-2 did quite a great job up until now, but I've been yearning for a true balance amp, and the ST-500 has been the one I'm looking hard at. Do you have anything to share about it?
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    Don't you tempt me anymore, I've been thinking about it My Emo XPA-2 did quite a great job up until now, but I've been yearning for a true balance amp, and the ST-500 has been the one I'm looking hard at. Do you have anything to share about it?
    Yes, I love it. Take the attributes of the DAC-2 and put them in amp form, clear and smooth sound, very dynamic, with excellent bass extension and control. The only downside to some, it's dual mono, so it's not SDA friendly without an isolation transformer.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

My plan is to use it USB from my laptop, and Coaxial from my CDP for now. I will post some pics later tonight if I get the chance.

I would like to know how the Wyred STP-SE holds up to the Adcom GFP-750!!!!! I love my pre amp but that STP-SE looks very nice!!!
    I'm wonderring the same thing with regard to a stand alone dac and the dacs built into my Anthem pre I just bought. I have been very impressed with the sound in the Anthem.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic

Getting a stand alone DAC was just as big as when I went from using a receiver as a PRE to a stand alone PRE, it makes that much of a difference.. I remember when I joined and some of the old timers were always talking about a DAC and I was like what the f*@# is a DAC?? LOL!!!

I would like to know how the Wyred STP-SE holds up to the Adcom GFP-750!!!!! I love my pre amp but that STP-SE looks very nice!!!
    The resale on them is very high, if you pick up one and don't like it you won't lose much.

would the Wyred Pre be better than just using the Dac-2 as a pre?

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Why would I need a DAC in my home theater system
    *HDTV
    *Onkyo TX-SR 608 AVR
    *OppBD-P93 DVD player
    *7.2 All Polk Speakers
    Clarajack

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by punk-roc View Post
    would the Wyred Pre be better than just using the Dac-2 as a pre?

Jason
    From my understanding the preamp stage of the DAC2 is very similar if not the same, perhaps someone can confirm this, but it sounds fantastic running straight to my MC352
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

that was my thought as well..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sm88 View Post
    From my understanding the preamp stage of the DAC2 is very similar if not the same, perhaps someone can confirm this, but it sounds fantastic running straight to my MC352
    Not at all.

The preamp stage of the integrated is similar to the STP-SE, but the STP-SE is more refined.

Don't get me wrong, the preamp function of the DAC-2 is very good, the STI is a little better and the STP-SE is even better.

The question is, are all the additional electronics added in the mix (seperate pre) gonna be a benefit? If the volume controls are of equal quality, and the output stages similar; I'd go direct from the DAC---but that's me. More electronics in the chain is rarely a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    The question is, are all the additional electronics added in the mix (seperate pre) gonna be a benefit? If the volume controls are of equal quality, and the output stages similar; I'd go direct from the DAC---but that's me. More electronics in the chain is rarely a good thing.
    After comparing multiple combinations here, DAC-2 direct to amp, DAC-2 into integrated, DAC-2 into dedicated pre, the dedicated pre(STP-SE) came ahead in transparency, dynamics, and spacial info. Keep in mind, not every "upgrade" was a dramatic, they were all subtle. But if you want the best of the best, separate components are the way to go in this case. If the STP-SE wasn't such a wonderful unit, I still would be more than happy with the DAC-2 direct into the ST-500 or STI-500 as it still holds it's own compared to the other two setups.

Sounds like a good setup then. I found the same with using the placette as my linestage--it's volume control/topology is better than the benchmark (when used in preamp mode); giving better transparency, tracking better, and a more linear presentation.

Thread Information