Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Denon DL-110 on order

Slowly, over the past few years, I have been improving my system. Recently I took the plunge into tube amplification (EL-34 integrated), and in doing so, I managed to replace everything but my speakers (SDA1A's) and my turntable (Technics sl1200 mkII). In fact, even the turn table is not the same due to a KAB power supply, Cardas tone arm wires, a record clamp, Isolation feet, and an acrylic mat. The integrated amp required an external phono stage, and I filled that need with a Hagerman Bugle and power supply. My hearts desire would be a Jolida JD9, but that too will have to wait. Besides, I have no complaints about the Hagerman Bugle. It sounds fantastic, and it is very quiet unlike the Dynaco PAS3 it replaced. So, I have always wanted to hear for my self what a MC cartridge can do, especially after reading all of the reviews here and elsewhere. I would love to take the plunge and get a Low output MC cartridge and SUT, but that is simply not something I can do right now. The Denon DL-110 is very affordable, and from what I have read, an excellent performing cartridge for the price. With the DL-110 I hope that I can get some of the MC cartridge benefits without the added expense of a SUT. The other cartridged that I have been using are the Grado prestige blue, the Azden YM-P20E, and a Shure M97XE. Of those three, my current favorite is the Grado, but I noticed that it and the Azden produce a humming noise as they approach the motor on the SL1200. From what I understand, this will not be the case with a MC cartridge?
    Source: Technics SL1200MKII Denon DL-110 cartridge
    Preamp: Hagerman Bugle Phono stage
    Amplifier: 4 x 5670 4 x EL34 integrated VAL VP110S (modified w/ vitamin Q caps, Alps blue velvet volume control, Vishay mil spec. metal film resistors..............)
    Speakers: Polk SDA 1A Signature

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    Slowly, over the past few years, I have been improving my system. Recently I took the plunge into tube amplification (EL-34 integrated), and in doing so, I managed to replace everything but my speakers (SDA1A's) and my turntable (Technics sl1200 mkII). In fact, even the turn table is not the same due to a KAB power supply, Cardas tone arm wires, a record clamp, Isolation feet, and an acrylic mat. The integrated amp required an external phono stage, and I filled that need with a Hagerman Bugle and power supply. My hearts desire would be a Jolida JD9, but that too will have to wait. Besides, I have no complaints about the Hagerman Bugle. It sounds fantastic, and it is very quiet unlike the Dynaco PAS3 it replaced. So, I have always wanted to hear for my self what a MC cartridge can do, especially after reading all of the reviews here and elsewhere. I would love to take the plunge and get a Low output MC cartridge and SUT, but that is simply not something I can do right now. The Denon DL-110 is very affordable, and from what I have read, an excellent performing cartridge for the price. With the DL-110 I hope that I can get some of the MC cartridge benefits without the added expense of a SUT. The other cartridged that I have been using are the Grado prestige blue, the Azden YM-P20E, and a Shure M97XE. Of those three, my current favorite is the Grado, but I noticed that it and the Azden produce a humming noise as they approach the motor on the SL1200. From what I understand, this will not be the case with a MC cartridge?
    I can't speak for all MC cartridges, but my set up is an SL1200mkII, stock, but with a clamp and some isolation feet, and I run the DL-160.

Dead quiet....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

That is what I want! I can't wait. Thanks!
    Amplifier: 4 x 5670 4 x EL34 integrated VAL VP110S (modified w/ vitamin Q caps, Alps blue velvet volume control, Vishay mil spec. metal film resistors..............)

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Congrats on the Denon DL-110!

You may get more tonal richness out of a LOMC due to the lower mass but you can also invite more noise due to the high amplification required to amplify a .3mV signal. ~44dB gain for an MM stage compared to 50-60dB or greater with a LOMC stage.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Prices for Denon carts are very reasonable at Comet supply

http://www.cometsupply.com/?mn=DENON
    Here by the sea and sand nothing ever goes as planned.

McIntosh MC 7270 ~ Rogue Audio Métis Preamplifier ~ Rogue Stealth Phono Pre ~ Denon 5910 ~ Vandersteen 3A ~ VPI HW19 Mk III with upgraded platter, SME tonearm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinman View Post
    Prices for Denon carts are very reasonable at Comet supply

http://www.cometsupply.com/?mn=DENON
    I am fortunate in that I have a friend who is "in the business". He was able to get me a killer deal on this cartridge, but thanks for the Comet supply link.

I ran a DL160 on my Technics 1210 for awhile. The 110 is supposed to be close in performance. I moved a little bit up the food chain and sprung for a Dynavector 10X5. Keeping the 160 for backup.

Name:  dyna3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  49.9 KB

Keiko,
    I would love to hear something from Dynavector, but for now the Denon is what the budget will allow. I installed the DL-110 last night, and WOW! I can only imagine what the Dynavector must sound like! I plugged in some 10k ohm resistors in parallel with the 47k to lower the impedance of the preamp to about 8k and I'm in heaven! I can listen to this for hours! The sound stage definition is unbelievable. The difference was evident when listening to "Led Zeppelin In through the out door - All my love". I could visualize Robert plant standing front and center and John Bono just behind him. John Paul Jones was to the left and back a bit on the organ, and somewhere off to the right I could hear the soft tingle of chimes. It was the chimes that caught my attention because I don't recall ever hearing them before last night. I read that the SQ improves after about ten hours, so I am very happy and totally looking forward to re experiencing my vinyl collection!

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    Keiko,
    I would love to hear something from Dynavector, but for now the Denon is what the budget will allow. I installed the DL-110 last night, and WOW! I can only imagine what the Dynavector must sound like! I plugged in some 10k ohm resistors in parallel with the 47k to lower the impedance of the preamp to about 8k and I'm in heaven! I can listen to this for hours! The sound stage definition is unbelievable. The difference was evident when listening to "Led Zeppelin In through the out door - All my love". I could visualize Robert plant standing front and center and John Bono just behind him. John Paul Jones was to the left and back a bit on the organ, and somewhere off to the right I could hear the soft tingle of chimes. It was the chimes that caught my attention because I don't recall ever hearing them before last night. I read that the SQ improves after about ten hours, so I am very happy and totally looking forward to re experiencing my vinyl collection!
    Source: Technics SL1200MKII Grado Blue cartridge
    You now need to update your signature!

Congrats!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    You now need to update your signature!

Congrats!
    Done and done! Thanks for reminding me!

Should get even better after break-in. Enjoy!

Truly one of the best bargains in audio! There is lots of love out there for the Ortofon 2M Red but I would take the DL110 any day over it, even over the much costlier 2M Blue for that matter.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Suffice it to say: I likes me some Denon [LO] MC sound :-)

Name:  spinnin3.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  25.8 KB
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information