Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Thoughts on Carver TFM-45?

Anybody have any thoughts on this amp? I could use any info that I could get!

Thanks guys.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

That model is supposed to be the best sounding TFM amp but, there is a fix that it requires that I can't explain because I don't understand that kind of stuff! If you want Carver technical info you should ask the guys at:http://www.thecarversite.com/ but don't tell them who sent you! That amp has big watts & lots o' headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    That model is supposed to be the best sounding TFM amp but, there is a fix that it requires that I can't explain because I don't understand that kind of stuff! If you want Carver technical info you should ask the guys at:http://www.thecarversite.com/ but don't tell them who sent you! That amp has big watts & lots o' headroom.
    My question is do these TFM amps really put out rated power?

And why are they so light? The TFM puts out around 500 wpc @ 4ohms and weights around 30lbs? Doesn't make sense to me, could someone explain?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

It's the best sounding amp, IMO, that Carver made. More than enough power for any of your needs.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

I have never listened to the TFM-45, but I have the TFM-35, and it is more power than my SDA-1A's can handle. If I turn the gain up to more than 50% of full value I will blow the 1A fuses protecting the tweeters in my speakers.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I have a tfm-42 and enjoyed it with my Amazing Plat's and SDA-2's..
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I am unsure if they hit rated power, but having heard a 35 and a 45 they sure do put out a lot. You will go deaf before you hit clipping in the 45.

Very nice sounding amp the TFM-45. I would suggest getting your ears on it first though. It has that Phase Linear/Carver sound. Some love it some don't(I love it). On SDA's they sound great so you should be good in either case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

At 50 - 90 watts output, my TFM-45 that I aquired from thsmith and already reworked by Roland makes listening uncomfortable without percieved distortion. I use this amp and a NAD 2600 and like them both with no problems.

It's about sound not power, but I don't have time or resources to roll tubes.

Tons of information if you search. And there are plenty of followers for the amp so as long as you get into one right, you can dispose of it fairly quickly without losing your shirt.
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    And why are they so light? The TFM puts out around 500 wpc @ 4ohms and weights around 30lbs? Doesn't make sense to me, could someone explain?
    It's due to the power supply. Without going into lots of detail, the original TFM series uses the Magnitic field power supply. The major weight differance is the transformer.

Here is some good reading to start out with,
    http://carvermk2.com/Docs/Carver%20M...Whitepaper.pdf

Hope this helps!

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I've heard that the build quality of these Carver amps is not the most 'robust' but some of you say you've had no problems with them. Some people love that Carver sound, others not so much. I've only heard it a couple of times and it didn't jump out at me but was certainly good enough to think about buying one and spending some time with it for a more informed assessment.

cnh

Hey guys, I bit the bullet and bought the amp. Please refer to my new thread if have any repair experience.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I've run a 45 for the last few years with no issues and sent a 35 through Rita's shop about 5 years ago. They have a nice sound and are great bang for the buck solutions. I've never read what they do on a bench, but have never read that they fudged the numbers. As others have said, you'll never reach the limits of the 45. I popped the polys with Luxman and Adcom 200w amps, but never have with either TFMs. I also never play them that loud anymore either.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
    It's the best sounding amp, IMO, that Carver made. More than enough power for any of your needs.
    Hey Troy! Besides the esoteric amps or tube amplifiers that Carver made, this one [along with it's brother's] and the M-500t are tied as my favorite for sound. The TFM leans a bit more to the sound of a tube amp to me.

Congrat's on your purchase, AC381.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

FYI: per Rolland....TFM- 35 models and below are not Magnetic field amps. Only the 42,45,55,75 are "maggies" in the TFM lineup.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

so are the 7t and 9t monblocks
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

They're not badged "TFM".

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    I have never listened to the TFM-45, but I have the TFM-35, and it is more power than my SDA-1A's can handle. If I turn the gain up to more than 50% of full value I will blow the 1A fuses protecting the tweeters in my speakers.
    I have a Carver TFM-45. How do you turn up the gain on the amp?

Again, even at full gain the amp does not put out 500 watts when you turn it on. If your blowing fuses it's because of your listening habits and sticky fingers on the volume dial.

Quote Originally Posted by chonk View Post
    you don't unless you get inside. the TFM35x has pots on the back to adjust gain.

Quote Originally Posted by chonk View Post
    The TFM-35 has a sort of volume knob. That is what I was referring to when I mentioned turning up the gain. Sorry if that was confusing!
    Source: Technics SL1200MKII Denon DL-110 cartridge
    Preamp: Hagerman Bugle Phono stage
    Amplifier: 4 x 5670 4 x EL34 integrated VAL VP110S (modified w/ vitamin Q caps, Alps blue velvet volume control, Vishay mil spec. metal film resistors..............)
    Speakers: Polk SDA 1A Signature

The TFM-35 has a sort of volume knob. That is what I was referring to when I mentioned turning up the gain. Sorry if that was confusing!
    Its the THX dial on it, my AV-705x has them for each channel as well. The purpose of it was to be able to manually match the SPL between channels if your AVR wasnt capable of adding or subtracting gain itself.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It's blowing fuses because you are overdriving the amp, which in turn is sending a clipped signal to the speakers.

The claim that they sound like a tube amp is BS. If one has ever listened to a tube amp it's quite apparent. It may be of interest to know what is done in an effort to emulate the tube sound. A 1.5 ohm resistor is added just before the outputs. That's it.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    It's blowing fuses because you are overdriving the amp, which in turn is sending a clipped signal to the speakers.

The claim that they sound like a tube amp is BS. If one has ever listened to a tube amp it's quite apparent. It may be of interest to know what is done in an effort to emulate the tube sound. A 1.5 ohm resistor is added just before the outputs. That's it.
    Thanks for clearing that up. The 45 in e house right now sounds a hell of a lot less like tubes than the marantz 2216. That comment had me a bit perplexed. The carver definitely doesn't sound bad, but tube-like is not one of the descriptors I'd use.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thread Information