Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Digital Music with out a CD Player

I'm tired of having small stacks of CD's all around the house.

What I want to do is rip all of my CD's to some sort of lossless format and be done with the CDP. I have a PS3 now that I can stream the music on both my laptop and desktop to via Tversity. Unfortunately Tversity doesn't stream certain formats, (lossless) which is annoying.

I will be purchasing a DAC within the next few months to bring my digital music to the next level.

So what options do I have? I've heard of people using music servers and that sounds like something I want to set up but I haven't the slightest clue on what that looks like or what are the best devices out there for it.

Thanks for the help in advance

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Look for the squeezebox touch thread
    SDA 2BTL (LARRY'S RINGS), NAD C375 Bee, REGA P3- (TT-PSU),Groovetracer sub platter, Delrin platter, RB 700 tonearm DYNAVECTOR 20X2 LO CART, JOLIDA JD 9A-GOLD LION TUBES-CLARITY MR CAPS, SQUEEZEBOX TOUCH-WELBORNE POWER, WYRED 4 SOUND DAC 1, WYRED 4 SOUND PRE AMP, MIT AVT MA IC'S & SPEAKER CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by jonicont View Post
    Look for the squeezebox touch thread
    Wow, that thing looks awesome. Upon further research, it looks like that's the product to buy!

We have the same speakers :) I wish I had your DAC

Member Sales Rating: (13)

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Do yourself a favor & check out SONOS.
    http://www.sonos.com/Default.aspx?rd...FYh_5Qod_wuBeQ
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Hey Phil, you ever look at the modded units they sell ? Doubles the price. You would think a regular unit and a good dac would be the same thing,no?

Hey Tony, I've seen & read up on the modded ZP90 but I really don't think I'll take that plung. At least not yet The modded Music Hall tube DAC that I'm still breaking in is just freaking unbelievable. I'm leary of dumping $500 on a digital mod, especially how my system is sounding right now. Don't know if it's worth it.

But man oh man this Sonos system is simply off the charts amazing. I should have dumped my dinosaur CD spinner a loooooog time ago.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

+1 for the SB touch - outstanding networked DAC. Lossless thru PC or Windows
    Pioneer Elite SC-35, Polk RTA (Real Time Array) 12's,
    Polk Monitor 40 surrounds, Polk CSiA4 Center,
    Polk PSW125, Sharp LC-46D62U,
    Panasonic DMP-BD85, Harmony One,
    iMac streaming an Apple TVII, or Squeezebox Touch
    Bedroom Rig~Sony STRDG-920, Polk Monitor 60 fronts, Polk RM6750 Satellites and Sub, Panasonic DMP-BD85
    Rabbit Hole Rig~Yamaha CA1010, Yamaha CT1010, Polk SDA 2A's, Teac A1500 R2R

Phil, I'm still sitting on the fence between the Sonos and squeezebox touch, each has their strengths. My main concern is at least getting cd quality sound. Would you say the sonos has at least a cd quality sound to it ? Have you done any comparisons between your cdp and the Sonos ?

While we are on this topic, which is the better unit, the touch or the duet? What advantage does one have over the other?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Phil, I'm still sitting on the fence between the Sonos and squeezebox touch, each has their strengths. My main concern is at least getting cd quality sound. Would you say the sonos has at least a cd quality sound to it ? Have you done any comparisons between your cdp and the Sonos ?
    Tony, having ripped my CD's (almost done ) to FLAC using dBpoweramp with their Accurate Rip function I can attest to the sound quality. Nothing lost, everything gained. Couple that with my modded Music Hall tube DAC everything sounds spectacular.

My friend has the SB Touch w/ upgraded power supply & it also sounds fantastic. If you're looking for a one room solution then in my opinion both the Sonos & SB would be equal in their performance. But once you move on & want to add other rooms the Sonos has no equal on the market as of yet. It does cost more but simply performs way above it's price point.

My wife who by no stretch can operate a remote is in love with it. She has her S5 speaker for the upstairs & her own controller. Keeping the wife happy is always a good thing! It just doesn't get any better then this as far as I'm concerned.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

I 2nd the Sonos, we became dealers a couple weeks ago so I picked up an S5 for the garage, and 90 for the theater room and will be adding a 120 and a pair of speakers for the bedroom. My wife has her music on her PC and I have mine which we have pulled in both our play lists, we can listen seperately or all together seamlessly and only 1 has to be connected to network.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Squeezebox Touch and don't look back. Love mine would never go back to cd's only.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Squeezebox Touch and don't look back. Love mine would never go back to cd's only.

H9
    SONOS and don't look back. Love mine would never go back to cd's only. Either system is fantastic! My enjoyment of listening to music has grown by leaps & bounds. The amount of quality tunes at your fingertips is staggering. CD's...what the hell are they????
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
    While we are on this topic, which is the better unit, the touch or the duet? What advantage does one have over the other?

thanks
    I recently got a Touch after some extensive Googling. In a nutshell, from what I have read, the Touch has a better DAC so if you are going to go analog out it would be a better choice. It also probably has the better power supply and better wireless performance. Evidently the Duet can be quirky with wireless performance, but some of that might be network dependent too. There is a huge debate with some saying the Touch sounds much better even using the digital outs, and some wondering if that is bogus or not. The Touch also supports sampling rates up to 24/96, whereas the Duet doesn't support that high of resolution. The Touch also accepts USB input devices whereas the Duet does not. My thought is that if you are going to be ripping CD's to FLAC and/or listening to hi-res recordings and want the highest sound quality available go with the Touch. If you are going to be listening to internet radio/mp3 quality it might not matter. Also depends on the application it will be used for. Critical listening, background music, external DAC into a hi-end system or digital out to a mid-fi HT system, etc. I may leave this Touch in my 2-channel system for listening to my ripped CD's in addition to the fact that it gives me the radio option when I'm on the computer. For the HT system (which I originally bought the Touch for), I may opt for the Duet as what I am mostly interested for in there is internet radio background music, and I can get the Duet for probably $125 less on the used market. However, I just may end up getting a 2nd Touch too ...... it's only money and it isn't going to make or break me

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Music server computer -> Audio-GD Digital Interface -> DAC -> Amplifier -> all controlled by iPhone Remote app

While it may not be practical for the non-tech-savvy, I have moved my music collection to my Ubuntu Server which can easily be configured with a web interface called Webmin. The music is accessible to every computer on the network. (Samba windows shares) Even better I can stream it over the internet, I constantly log-in to the web interface and stream music while on my college campus. I sit in the library on my free time with my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's steaming my CD collection.

I rip all my CD's into FLAC and use Foobar2000 as my audio player. It is highly customizable and can be tweaked to add kernel streaming or other bit-precise playback methods. I would use my iPod but due to the size of my lossless music files I cannot fit my collection on my iPod.

Plus Ubuntu Server doesn't require to much horsepower and you can convert that old outdated computer in your basement into an efficient multimedia server (You can put movies or anything else on there)!

I'm not gonna lie it did take upwards of 3 hours to setup everything : (
    But I have not had a single issue since! (minus power outages)

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Are you just using the headphones, or using it with speakers as well?

At school I am in a library so naturally I only used closed headphones (so I don't get kicked out)
    At home I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70's hooked up to my computer via Yamaha HTR-5460. I just recently upgraded from cough cough... gateway speakers that shipped with a best buy computer... So naturally I rediscovered my music collection. I ripped everything to FLAC after finding out there are quite a few sounds missing from my mp3s and know I am in love with sound!

Heard on NPR that all of the major studios are discontinuing CD production in 2012 - the advent of downloadable music only. Curious, do y'all think "they" (itunes, amazon) will offer music in less compressed forms than 128? I will miss the cds (still have tons of vinyl!) Art work and liner notes raised the level of the experience beyond words. Will the term "lossless" be so arcane its relegated to the Oxford Dictionary only?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiceRoute View Post
    Heard on NPR that all of the major studios are discontinuing CD production in 2012 -?
    You mean just like they said vinyl was dead too ??

Member Sales Rating: (12)

You mean just like they said vinyl was dead too ??
    Aren't we all SOL at the end of next year anyway? All the ancient calendars stop at December 2012 or something like that?
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

LOL!! Yeah Rich, except I've been SOL for 2 years now so when the big day comes in 2012 I won't be too disappointed.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I noticed something today I never realized before. Apparently both new Oppo Bluray players will decode *.flac files----interesting. Now given they both also have USB connection, kinda makes a feller wonder....

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

How does it manange a music library? If I had to guess (since I haven't looked at it) it's more for convenience of plugging a small, portable device in and not managing a music library. But yes, we are coming a long way in making things accessible and universal. Other than for a vehicle to carry music from the store to my place, the cd is dead to me. Once you can DL lossless files for a reasonable cost, the cd will wither.

Perhaps not for me because 98% of the music I buy is on used cd's. 'Eff the record companies, I am not paying for a new cd very often. Between Amazon marketplace and the used cd stores I frequent I rarely pay the outrageous price for a "new in the package" cd. I will for artists I really want or a recording I have heard is stellar, but mostly I buy used and rip to FLAC and never look at the cd again.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Perhaps not for me because 98% of the music I buy is on used cd's. 'Eff the record companies, I am not paying for a new cd very often. Between Amazon marketplace and the used cd stores I frequent I rarely pay the outrageous price for a "new in the package" cd. I will for artists I really want or a recording I have heard is stellar, but mostly I buy used and rip to FLAC and never look at the cd again.

H9
    +1 to that. I was explaining to my son that I don't spend more than about 5-7 dollars for a cd. He almost bit his tongue but blurted out, that's because all of the music you listen to is old. I replied, yes but at least its music.

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    +1 to that. I was explaining to my son that I don't spend more than about 5-7 dollars for a cd. He almost bit his tongue but blurted out, that's because all of the music you listen to is old. I replied, yes but at least its music.
    Thats where the value of a music service comes into play such as Rhapsody. New songs,old, it's on there for 10 bucks a month. I just save the songs to a sonos playlist, done. No more buying cd's for 2 songs you really want.

Thats where the value of a music service comes into play such as Rhapsody. New songs,old, it's on there for 10 bucks a month.
    Lossless?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Lossless?
    No, I don't believe it is. Unless the pay version is different for some of these services.

H9

It is 24/96 on the premium service. Shows up that way for me anyway.

Thread Information