Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roku XD

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Default Roku XD

So, I picked one of these up from work yesterday for the master bedroom so the wife and I could stream Netflix to our new Samsung 32" LED bedroom tv. So far I'm really enjoying this little streaming box. Setup from opening the box to up and running was just under 5 minutes. Only problem I had was getting the Roku to link up to the website to do the update but once that was done was streaming movies in no time. Haven't had a lot of time to really sit down with the unit and fully explore its potential but I will do that tonight. Anyone looking at this unit should really give it a try. Wife wants me to pick up another one for the living room television now.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I got one a couple weeks ago. I like it.
    Samsung 72" DLP
    Samsung BD1600 Blue
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 40's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS2
    Sub- PSW 1000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
    Onkyo TX-NR 906

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I've had one for about a year................love it and the streaming concept.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I've looked at the XD, but it doesn't appear that you can stream local sources. That's a deal breaker for me as I have everything on our home media server. At this point it looks like the WD Live will fill the need for me.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Are you using it wifi or wired?

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    Are you using it wifi or wired?
    Wireless
    "My Theater Room"

Can anyone explain what does Roku and othe similar type of devices do that the blue-ray network services don't do.
    for example: my panasonic has a wireless/wire internet connection, there I can access netflix, pandora and a bunch of other services. is this the same as I would get with a device like roku?
    Current HT setup
    Mains: B&W 804s
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
    Receiver: Pioneer SC-07
    Amplifier: Sunfire TGA5200
    TV: Sony KDS60A2020
    DBP: Sony DBP-S350
    CDP: Pioneer DV-48AV
    Interconnect cables: SignalCable analog II
    speaker cables: SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables Bi-wire

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by olilugo View Post
    Can anyone explain what does Roku and othe similar type of devices do that the blue-ray network services don't do.
    for example: my panasonic has a wireless/wire internet connection, there I can access netflix, pandora and a bunch of other services. is this the same as I would get with a device like roku?
    Roku is a stand alone box that does the same thing and in some cases more. I just bought a new DVDp last year, it didn't have streaming capability. Rather than buy a more expensive DVDp I didn't need, I simply bought the ROKU.

Yes, there are lots of devices that include the capablility to stream various services, ROKU is just one of them. In the beginning they were about the only one's doing it, now there are all sorts of home theater devices that do it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I've been thinking about getting ROKU XD but if I remember correctly, the quality of the image and the sound don't compare to what you get on a blueray disk. Correct?

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Of course its not as good as bluray quality, not a fair comparison.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

The one thing I liked most about the Roku over purchasing a new BD player with the option is a majority of the BD players I looked at only give you the options to go online and add the movies to your queue. With the Roku, I have full control to everything Netflix has to offer like search, browse, etc. Like I said, I'm sure there are BD players out there with this option but beings this is just a bedroom setup, don't even have a DVD player in the room. As far as the picture quality, having the Roku set to 1080P on a 32" LED, look pretty darn good to me. Sound quality, only using the TV speakers so I can't comment on that. The wife and I just wanted a simple setup in the bedroom so we could watch the occasional movie and or a series that comes on some of the premium channels that we don't get.
    "My Theater Room"

ive had my ROKU for almost a year - love it

Pandora is a welcome additon !

OK it's not top notch BD quality but for music and bedroom movie/ tv streaming it great

Can you say ..who needs Comcast!!!??
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Love my two Roku boxes. There are add-on services (such as for youtube) that you can add, and more are constantly being developed, you just have to keep reading the Roku forums. You can also now get the Roku remote app for android and that other OS, which when used on my tablet pc lets me control the Roku box and search Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu+ from the comfort of my big leather chair!
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Thread Information