Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,032

    Default JB Welding your magnets on your old drivers

    Well in my 1C upgrade thread I posted about JB Welding magnets on my drivers. so I thought I would post some pictures as too where I JB Welded my magnets and why.

    In the pictures you can see where the first plate has been stamped and used to rivit this plate to the basket. IMO it would take a good jolt to snap this section off so I see no reason to JB weld there.




    In this picture you as well as the first pic above you can see where the glue failed to hold the magnet in place.



    In this pic you see the back plate, the pin or shaft for the voice coil is what will lock up your driver if you have a magnet shift, you can also see where the glue failed as well. this is the reason why I JB Welded my drivers in the eight places I did.



    A final pic to see where I used JB Weld. Now I am not saying you need to use JB Weld, I am sure you could use other good adhesives that are on the market.



    Now just because our drivers are 20+ years of age doesn't mean you will have a magnet shift, for me since they are out might as well add a little insurance since some of these drivers can be hard to find..

    Larry.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (43)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,931

    Default

    Not all MW's are rivited;) I had my share of bad drivers in my days that died from shipping:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Thanks for posting the pictures...well worth the 1000 words you didn't have to use. I should probably look more into this as I already got 1 replacement driver from ben:)

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Not all MW's are rivited;) I had my share of bad drivers in my days that died from shipping:(
    Correct I should have stated that, Some drivers are not rivited, and then I would suggest putting JB weld in that area..

    If you shine a flashlight in the side of the driver just right, you will be able to tell if it's rivited or not..
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kotzebue, Yes that Kotzebue
    Posts
    360

    Default Advice

    Tool,
    Hope you dont't mind using your thread but I have a question that i believe is relevant.
    Today while taking my 1C's apart to dynamat the baskets, and mortite the sels, I figured what the hey, I'll lock the magnets into place.
    All was well until the third one when I realized as I went around the magnet the 'ledge' was getting smaller. Closer examniation showed that it had 'slipped'.
    I had not noticed that the driver in question was not working while listening.
    I finished on this, the left speaker, and put everything back together.
    I slowy pushed on the passive and keeping my ear as close as I could to the driver I couldn't hear anything scraping.
    Am I deluding myself that I would hear it, or not? Should you hear it, or if it has slipped are you chasing your tail and replacing it is the only thing you can do?
    All the drivers move, and under power appear to be performing.
    Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for the rambling.
    Nathan
    Home Rig

    SDA-1C Studios ('Pimped') I know they are only studios, but hey.
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround and Amplification duties!!!!)
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Now in storage
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 7's, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, all in storage waiting for me.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WastelandWand'r View Post
    Tool,
    Hope you dont't mind using your thread but I have a question that i believe is relevant.
    Today while taking my 1C's apart to dynamat the baskets, and mortite the sels, I figured what the hey, I'll lock the magnets into place.
    All was well until the third one when I realized as I went around the magnet the 'ledge' was getting smaller. Closer examniation showed that it had 'slipped'.
    I had not noticed that the driver in question was not working while listening.
    I finished on this, the left speaker, and put everything back together.
    I slowy pushed on the passive and keeping my ear as close as I could to the driver I couldn't hear anything scraping.
    Am I deluding myself that I would hear it, or not? Should you hear it, or if it has slipped are you chasing your tail and replacing it is the only thing you can do?
    All the drivers move, and under power appear to be performing.
    Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for the rambling.
    Nathan

    If your driver is moving in and out normal, with no scraping scratching sound you are "OK", not all the magnets were assembled dead center. in the pics above you see the back plate with the pin that is about 3/4" of an inch, that is the part that is critical to be centered with the driver for the voice coil. I found a few of my drivers the same as yours so no worries.

    Hope this helps,

    Larry.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kotzebue, Yes that Kotzebue
    Posts
    360

    Default Thanks

    To the best of my hearing they are scratch free. Hopefully with the application of adhesive they are set.
    Thanks again,
    Nathan
    Home Rig

    SDA-1C Studios ('Pimped') I know they are only studios, but hey.
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround and Amplification duties!!!!)
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Now in storage
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 7's, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, all in storage waiting for me.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    775

    Default

    OK so once again Larry's pics help clear up a lot of understanding. Just to make sure I get it right.
    If you see rivets between the bottom plate and the basket then you should jb weld the magnet to the top plate and the bottom plate in 4 places all around the driver for a total of 8 welds?
    If you are not sure about the rivets in the bottom then do 4 more spot welds between the bottom plate and the basket
    Did I get it right?

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,032

    Default

    Correct!!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Thanks once again Larry

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it seems that you reconed the woofers, is that necessary? because I have 2 woofers that are locked, but still have impedance. how difficult would it be to realign the woofers with all the soft parts in them? also if the magnet has not fallen off, how hard would it be to get it off? I do realize I can get replacement woofers, but JB Weld is much cheaper then new woofers.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    3,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996BlackBauer View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it seems that you reconed the woofers, is that necessary? because I have 2 woofers that are locked, but still have impedance. how difficult would it be to realign the woofers with all the soft parts in them? also if the magnet has not fallen off, how hard would it be to get it off? I do realize I can get replacement woofers, but JB Weld is much cheaper then new woofers.
    No Larry took a bad MW apart to illustrate the merit of JB weld and to show where the glue is applied.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NE Patriots Territory!
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I tried to glue a magnet on a pr of jbls but could not align them enoufh to avoid vc rubbing.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    45

    Default

    As always great info post Larry...My RTA 12Cs are 28 years old (I purchased them 1984) I think I will JB weld all the Cone Drivers. Still need to rebuild the crossovers. I learn so much from this forum. Thanks!

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Sorry for the double post, my computer froze up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. gluing magnets?
    By JBurg in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 12:39 AM
  2. Need Help Unfreezing speaker magnets
    By Driver_King in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
  3. Recentering magnets on speakers
    By dcmeigs in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
  4. Welding a metal spacer
    By eloplayspolo in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 01:50 AM
  5. Problem with Magnets?
    By pepeart in forum Speakers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts