Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Question Goodbye DirecTV..........Now what?

I don't really want to get TWC, but I might, unless I can find a more affordable substitution.
    The problem is, there wasn't that much on, when I had 200+ channels.
    Basically, I was watching House, NCIS, Top Gear, then whatever was on history, discovery, or the military channel.
    Pretty slim pickings

Ive heard of Hulu, and some other similar sites, but don't know how they work?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Get a roku hd for 99 bucks, a hulu plus subscription for 8 bucks a month and netflix and you'll have much of what you're looking for. Hulu plus has the entire current season of tons of shows, and netflix has a good number of movies to stream. You won't get much of ur history and military channels however so that might be a bummer.

who needs 250 channels anyways you can only watch one at a time and most of the stuff is crap anyways. I like when they raise the cable rates and the reason being is because they added a couple of new channels like the food network II or the Golf Channel II Or Espn IV, we canceled our expanded cable kept the high speed internet, basic cable, with that and net flix and a Blu Ray Player thats all you need. I cant imagine spending all that time in front of the telly to justify having 250 Channels, I would rather be cranking the tunes.
    Up Stairs Wife Approved
    -----------------------
    Denon AVR-891,PSW 111,Rtia5's,Rtia3's,Csia4,Cs10,Marantz CD5004,Blu Ray LG BD590

Man Cave

-----------
    Technics Suv-909,Technics SL-PS 70,Technics SLQ-300,Technics M245X,Acoustic Research AR-18,Acoustic Research AR-58,Cerwin Vega Vs-100,Yamaha HTR-5835,SDA 2B's Marantz CD5003, Denon DMR-11,Technics SUV-909 SDA CRS+'s 2 pair,Fischer DAC-503,Pioneer PL-S50.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I have not watched TV in over a year... I have basic television I keep around for football games but otherwise it is never on
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (28)

OTA antenna + a used HDTivo. That and Netflix (plus a few internet downloads) gets me most of what I want to watch. $12 month for Tivo service, $10 for Netflix 1-disc unlimited (gives you the streaming).

I do suffer a bit when it comes to watching college ball, but I can't justify $80/month year round just to watch a few months of football. The big games that aren't on local TV are usually carried on ESPN3 (internet streaming).

Turn off the TV and go play with your kids.

Just stream what you want from Amazon, Netflix etc...put up an antenna for local channels, and of course buy more music and books.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Love direct and wish we would go back. I HATE stupid dish network. Go back to them.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

What's TV? :)

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I love tv and am perfectly fine with paying a monthly fee for all the channels and programming I receive.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Hell I have Dish for $110 a month and Comcast as a backup

Default Twc?

weather channel?

honestly, or is it something else.

We are currently trying to economize, I mean 80 dollars for four bags of grocerys, 70 bucks for a tank of gas, last months elect. bill was 185 dollars, mainly because of wifes oxygen machine she needs pretty much round the clock.

A disability check does not go far at these rates.

Besides, im having the same feelings as many here,so little really interesting unique programming, even the food and home remodeling channels are going to argment/diva/jerks on display type programming.

I know we will miss little gems, lately its been two fat ladies, the 90s british cooking show with, well, two fat ladies.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    OTA antenna + a used HDTivo. That and Netflix (plus a few internet downloads) gets me most of what I want to watch. $12 month for Tivo service, $10 for Netflix 1-disc unlimited (gives you the streaming).

I do suffer a bit when it comes to watching college ball, but I can't justify $80/month year round just to watch a few months of football. The big games that aren't on local TV are usually carried on ESPN3 (internet streaming).
    What is your elevation / topography at your house, and how high do you have your antenna....and what type /does it do a HDTV signal? I have heard an OTA HD signal will outperform the DirecTV HD signals....
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy76 View Post
    weather channel?

honestly, or is it something else.

We are currently trying to economize, I mean 80 dollars for four bags of grocerys, 70 bucks for a tank of gas, last months elect. bill was 185 dollars, mainly because of wifes oxygen machine she needs pretty much round the clock.

A disability check does not go far at these rates.

Besides, im having the same feelings as many here,so little really interesting unique programming, even the food and home remodeling channels are going to argment/diva/jerks on display type programming.

I know we will miss little gems, lately its been two fat ladies, the 90s british cooking show with, well, two fat ladies.
    I think he means Time Warner Cable............I have FIOS and will never go back to the Dish, DirecTv or cable. It costs as much but is MUCH better in terms of quality IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop59 View Post
    a hulu plus subscription for 8 bucks a month
    What's the difference between the Free version of Hulu, and the Hulu + for $8 bucks a month?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Hulu gives you about the last 4 or 5 shows whereas hulu plus gives you the entire season or more...

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Thanks Roof for the info.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Hulu Plus will also stream through your TV (Samsung and Sony only I think for now), your PS3 and a few other devices including the IPhone.

It will stream in HD, that's the BIG plus for me. Regular Hulu is SD only as far as I know...

The biggest issue I have had with Hulu Plus is it can get choppy playback every once in a while, not that much recently but it can happen. I have talked to Hulu about it several times since my internet connection is fairly fast (peak times it will be as slow as 10mbs and I have seen it spike to 28mbs). They claim it's an issue with Sony accessing the Hulu servers.

I think there is some truth to that since I have had ZERO playback issue on my laptop when my PS3 is lagging like hell.

I got rid of TWC about a year ago and I have never looked back...
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I'll have to look into Hulu Plus, and an OTA HD receiver. The terrain between me and Columbia isn't too hilly, but I'll have to check into it.

I thought there was another web service, that streamed concerts and stuff. I can't remember the name, but it was some type of receiver/ hdd that you could purchase for a download. IIRC, you had to buy the equipt.?

And yes, Time Warner Cable.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Thread Information