Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (5)

The input caps (2) are 0.22uf and the output caps are (4) 1.0uf caps. The output caps have two caps per channel in series with a feedback connection between the first and second cap.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by jessie52 View Post
    Does the Dared SL-2000A have 4 .22uf caps? What is your take on Mundorf Supreme or Silver in Oil as replacement caps?
    Which coupling caps are you talking about? Input or Output? George replaced both on his unit.

(2) .22uF 400v input caps. Some units come stock with Auricaps in that position and you'd be hard pressed to find another cap that sounds as good w/o spending a whole lot more money

(4) 1uF 400v output caps (Yellow square Carli caps)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...4&postcount=73

Here is a photo of mine and the last pic in this post shows the (2) Auricap input caps and then the (4) Yellow "square" Carli caps for output caps
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Hey George or anyone else,

I was thinking of possibly using (4) of these for the output coupling caps replacing the (4) square yellow Carli 1uF 400v caps.

Anyone use these before, thoughts?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...ndorf_rxf.html

George if you still have the old yellow caps out would you mind doing a quick measure of them physically?

Thanks

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Which coupling caps are you talking about? Input or Output? George replaced both on his unit.

(2) .22uF 400v input caps. Some units come stock with Auricaps in that position and you'd be hard pressed to find another cap that sounds as good w/o spending a whole lot more money

Here is a photo of mine and the last pic in this post shows the (2) Auricap input caps and then the (4) Yellow "square" Carli caps for output caps
    Both input and output caps. Might as well replace both.

Both input and output caps. Might as well replace both.
    Oh those yellow ones are output caps. Are they the stock caps? Are they good enough? Perhaps I'll just replace the input caps since they are not Auricaps. Replace these with Mundorf Supremes.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

So are there two versions of this preamp?? A USA version??
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Dunno,,, mine did not have auricaps,,but I'm pretty happy with it,especially after the cap upgrade.I suspect this thing would respond well to some Jenzen PIO caps,I have 4 Obligatto's that were sent (extra),,so if anyone wants em',, they can have them at cost plus shipping.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    There are 3 versions technically and they are all US versions. When Auricaps jumped in cost Dared stopped using them and went with something (I can only assume) cheaper.

They made a version with Auricaps coupling caps; a version with Auricaps and gold PCB and a non-Auricap version non-gold pcb version. All the same pre-amp but just some different parts in those key area's.

H9

I opened up my Dared SL-2000A and found 3 different uf values : 2.2uf, 1uf and .047uf with 3 different colored caps. Would anyone know what caps are these?

pic's please.

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    pic's please.
    +1..

Dunno,,, mine did not have auricaps,,but I'm pretty happy with it,especially after the cap upgrade.I suspect this thing would respond well to some Jenzen PIO caps,I have 4 Obligatto's that were sent (extra),,so if anyone wants em',, they can have them at cost plus shipping.
    Would the Obligatto Gold Premium fit?

not in place of the yellow caps which are pcb mounted,,I had to get creative and mount them on the inside chassis and wire them to the board.H9 had a nice alternative posted above.

Hey George or anyone else,

I was thinking of possibly using (4) of these for the output coupling caps replacing the (4) square yellow Carli 1uF 400v caps.

Anyone use these before, thoughts?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...ndorf_rxf.html

George if you still have the old yellow caps out would you mind doing a quick measure of them physically?

Thanks

H9

Brock,,I looked this morning and could not find them,,I must have tossed em'.

I'm using the Dared SL2000A preamp with a Tri 88SE tube integrated amp. Will the Dared render the preamp section of the Tri integrated amp useless? If so would this mean that the NOS tubes installed in the Tri preamp section will have no effect on the overall sonics anymore?

To what extend does the 5Y3 rectifier influence the overall sonic character of the Dared SL-2000A? Is the rectifier as important as the 12AT7 tubes?

Hi Heiney. If I replace the caps they should be (2) .22uf and (4) 1uf, right, not lower? Did the original Dared SL-2000A come with all (6) Auricaps? Would it be good enough just to replace just the (2) .22uf input caps? Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I'm using the Dared SL2000A preamp with a Tri 88SE tube integrated amp. Will the Dared render the preamp section of the Tri integrated amp useless? If so would this mean that the NOS tubes installed in the Tri preamp section will have no effect on the overall sonics anymore?
    If you are connecting your Dared pre to the pre in's, the preamp section of you Tri 88SE is out of circuit (adding nothing). The pre tubes in the Tri are then adding nothing (but don't ever remove and leave a tube socket empty).
    Attached Images  
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (37)

To what extend does the 5Y3 rectifier influence the overall sonic character of the Dared SL-2000A? Is the rectifier as important as the 12AT7 tubes?
    Rectifier tubes are important, and tube rolling the 5Y3 spot will yield sonic improvement when you find the right tube. I remember an old Dynaco PAS2 I owned that was absolutely "night and day different" based upon the rectifier tube. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 09-11-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

It's as important as the 12AT7 signal tubes.

It uses a 5Z4 or 5Y3. I switch between a Bendix 6106 (5Y3) and a Brimar 5Z4G both are superb but have a slightly different sound.

H9

It's as important as the 12AT7 signal tubes.

It uses a 5Z4 or 5Y3. I switch between a Bendix 6106 (5Y3) and a Brimar 5Z4G both are superb but have a slightly different sound.

H9
    I think I prefer the Brimar over the Bendix.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    If you are connecting your Dared pre to the pre in's, the preamp section of you Tri 88SE is out of circuit (adding nothing). The pre tubes in the Tri are then adding nothing (but don't ever remove and leave a tube socket empty).
    Thanks for the input.

How does the Brimar differ from the Bendix?

Hi Heiney. If I replace the caps they should be (2) .22uf and (4) 1uf, right, not lower? Did the original Dared SL-2000A come with all (6) Auricaps? Would it be good enough just to replace just the (2) .22uf input caps? Thanks.
    Only 2 Auricaps on the input and 4 Carli caps for the output. Did you even read or see the photo's in the other thread I linked to?

H9

I do too George, I out the Brimar back in and the tone is much better, just superb.

H9

Tube buying/rolling will be the death of me. I've found some more that I simply must try.

H9

Can I use 12AU7s in lieu of the Dared SL-2000A's 12AT7 tubes?

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Check out this link and use it as a guide for 12AT7 tubes/variants that are compatible.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

No, but you can use 5965's which are about the same gain wise.

jessie52, there is a plethora of information here about the Dared that I or Kieko or George have written about. Try doing a search to get your learn on. I don't mind answering questions, but so far most of what you keep asking has been covered in depth.

Regards

H9

Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a new rectifier on the way. Like I said, I just had to bid, win and try these out. I'll post more after the auction ends.

H9

Thread Information