Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Does it look like this, Brock? In the words of george daniel, very innaresting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Z4G-TUNGSRA...-/380367314140
    dats de one mon
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    dats de one mon
    George, hope you managed NOT to blow up any gear with my CDs at Carver Fest this year.

Brock, did my package arrive to you, yet?

The little Dared was a showstopper,,,coupled with a Quicksilver GLA tube amp and a pair of 1C's--huge soundstage and SDA effect--come to think of it,,I did not have any Carver gear.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Being tube rectified is the main reason also it's a nice simple circuit.

H9
    Thanks Brock!!!! Tubes are here now I have to wait till I get home and roll'em in!!!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Bummer!! I have a Micophonic sound coming through my speakers with these tubes even when I touch my volume knob you can hear my fingers touching the knob and thats with the volume all the way down..
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

happened to me too^^^^^^

happened to me too^^^^^^
    M<3

I bought some very nice Amperex 7062s from Jon, doctorcilantro when I first got my Dared and they howled like dogs in heat. Really bummed me out cuz when they were quiet, they were sweet. Just the vibration from the music would set them off. The good doctor took care of me tho and replaced them with some very nice, mil. spec. RCA 12AT7WA 3 mica, blk plates.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Bummer!! I have a Micophonic sound coming through my speakers with these tubes even when I touch my volume knob you can hear my fingers touching the knob and thats with the volume all the way down..
    Larry, worth a try and I use these regardless on all my tubes.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

The UltraSonic 9 fits the 12AT7/ECC81 signal tubes for the Dared. The dampers might help enough for you to use those troubled tubes.

Thanks Mike, I'm waiting to hear back from Brock but I am looking forward to getting the TFKN's next week..
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Larry I'll be in touch later today, but the 5965's have a tendency to be microphonic because of the long plates. Do they ring when they are playing or only when you touch the volume of chassis. Dampers will tame that, but we can discuss how you want to proceed. I guess I really didn't notice those tend to be microphonic as I'm used to the long plate tubes have a slight tendency to ring. However they never ring while playing and I almost always use dampers on the long plate tubes.

I can give you a refund, or I might have another spare pair of nice sounding regular (non-long plate) tubes I can send you. You can get some dampers and try those and if it still doesn't work then I can still refund of exchange.

Up to you.

Have you played them at all? Or do they ring just sitting there?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I had the same issue,, I tried tube dampers and also isolated the pre with some success.I still think that the Syl long BP's sound very good though.

I had the same issue,, I tried tube dampers and also isolated the pre with some success.I still think that the Syl long BP's sound very good though.
    I have the issue with all the 5965's to one degree or another, but they don't ring when playing. I use dampers and it helps quite a bit. If the 5965's I have didn't sound so sweet I wouldn't bother trying to damp them. The 6829's that I have been using lately need two pairs of dampers, but damn do they sound good. I have noticed no ill effects when listening to music, loud music with lots of bass. If I touch the vol control I can hear it, but I use the remote and I rarely mess with the volume too much anyway.

Larry, if they aren't ringing while playing give them a listen for awhile and I guess be gentle when moving the vol control manually. If you can listen to them without them ringing it will atleast give you the flavor of that particular tube. I'll still work with you for whatever you want to do, but listen to them as they are if you can. They are pretty sweet sounding tubes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I meant the 5965's-- for the price of admission,they are hard to beat.I sent Steve a pair for his C-J ,,so far I think he's liking them pretty well.Brock,,thanks for the link to that seller--I'm gonna get another pair from him,,they are that good.

I meant the 5965's-- for the price of admission,they are hard to beat.I sent Steve a pair for his C-J ,,so far I think he's liking them pretty well.Brock,,thanks for the link to that seller--I'm gonna get another pair from him,,they are that good.
    You are welcome, George. Damn, I wish I was going to PF this year. We could have sooooo much fun talking a bit about tubes face to face. I was thinking the same thing, you know me I like to have a "back-up" of my favorite tubes, for the $$$ they are really hard to beat.

The Sylvania Gold Brand 5965s I got for 10.00 each are dead quiet. Sound great with no microphonic issues whatsoever. I liked them so much that I bought a second pair for backup. For that price it was a no-brainer. I have several Sylvania 12AT7 variants in my tube stash and IMO, they're possibly the best NOS U.S. tubes of this type. I've read the 12AT7 was one tube Sylvania made right and in my experience, I agree. Were you able to get any GB 5965s from that feller I linked ya too, George?
    Last edited by Keiko; 10-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.

One last word of encouragement to get one of those Tungsram (England) rectifiers. The bass is simply monsterous coming from it. It's hard to explain because the bass isn't overdoen or sloppy, it's JUST huge and tactile. The best way to describe it is with this rectifier think John Bonham bass drum sound vs. a regular rectifier everyone else's bass drum sound. It's really HUGE but never fake or boomy or artificial. I really think it edges out the Brimar a little bit, or perhaps just as good only in a slightly different way.

I wish work would slow down, I'm back here again for a few hours trying to catch up, we are soooooooo busy. Because I got my spikes and I have Larry's rings and some dynamt and I want to get that part of my 1C's done finally. But I just don't have the time at the moment.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 10-01-2011 at 09:38 AM.

I think so--20 bucks for a pair--shoot it to me again if you would please.

I think so--20 bucks for a pair--shoot it to me again if you would please.
    PM sent

Brock I ordered some tube dampers from herbie's I will let you know how they work out. they do sound good but I also found that I can tap on my rack and it picks up the sound. it is from the 12AT7's as the rectifier tube with the stock tubes I don't have the problem..