Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I wonder if these VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor would be a good caps upgrade for the Dared SL-2000A. They practically cost nothing and their size should fit.
    http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...lm_visrod.html

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    I think I prefer the Brimar over the Bendix.
    Does the Mullard sound close to the Brimar?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by jessie52 View Post
    I wonder if these VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor would be a good caps upgrade for the Dared SL-2000A. They practically cost nothing and their size should fit.
    They are too small and I don't believe they come close to the values needed. They are more of a bypass type capacitor.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Have you listened to this with the factory capacitors? Have you rolled some of the tubes for the signal path and rectifier that H9 has suggested?

The MKP-1837 are good bypass caps but are not rated at the 400v required for the tube preamp and as coupling caps do not match any of the values of existing caps. With capacitors being a very competitive market you generally get what you pay for and upgrading your Dared's Capacitors will cost you some change to do better than the factory installed capacitors. I don't know what your DIY background and experience is. IMHO, given the high voltages, tube amps would not be my first choice for any type of a beginning project. Speaker crossovers would be a wiser choice.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Do you think going from the Dodd ELP to the Dared SL-2000 would be a latteral move or a step above the Dodd?? I like the fact that the Dared has a remote..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    They are too small and I don't believe they come close to the values needed. They are more of a bypass type capacitor.

H9
    Yes, the values are only100v. The reviews recommended them as good bypass caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Outfitter03 View Post
    Have you listened to this with the factory capacitors? Have you rolled some of the tubes for the signal path and rectifier that H9 has suggested?

The MKP-1837 are good bypass caps but are not rated at the 400v required for the tube preamp and as coupling caps do not match any of the values of existing caps. With capacitors being a very competitive market you generally get what you pay for and upgrading your Dared's Capacitors will cost you some change to do better than the factory installed capacitors. I don't know what your DIY background and experience is. IMHO, given the high voltages, tube amps would not be my first choice for any type of a beginning project. Speaker crossovers would be a wiser choice.
    Yes they are only rated 100v. I guess with the difficulty of finding a good cap to fit the Dared, I'll stick with the stock caps which sound fantastic anyway. Perhaps, the saying "if it ain't broke, why fix it" applies here.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say it's has better tone and better bass., soundstage depends on the tubes. I'll disclose when the Dodd was making the rounds around here there wasn't a lot of tube rolling going on.

The tube rectification and remote make it a good move. Wait for George to chime in because he has more total hours with the Dodd. I am biased simply because I have spent so much time with the Dared as well as exploring infinite amounts of tube combinations.

It is a remarkable little pre-amp that really shouldn't sound as good as it does. It has a "tone" that is simply incredible.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 09-18-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Yes they are only rated 100v. I guess with the difficulty of finding a good cap to fit the Dared, I'll stick with the stock caps which sound fantastic anyway. Perhaps, the saying "if it ain't broke, why fix it" applies here.
    What's wrong with Auricaps? They are fantastic and I'd recommend those, as I did in the very beginning for input coupling caps.

Sonicaps or Multicaps for the output coupling. Nothing hard at all about finding a much better cap and they will fit in the stock openings. Well, Sonicaps are larger so measure, but Multicaps will fit.

Simple really, you are way over thinking this.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 09-18-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Scroll down to the 1.0uF 400V $10.51 ea X 4 = 42.04, these will replace the (4) output coupling caps

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...cap_ppmfx.html

Scroll down to the 0.22uF 400V $12.72 ea X 2 = 25.44, these will replace the (2) input coupling caps.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...m_auricap.html

a total of $67.48 plus shipping

H9

P.S. Be sure to measure for the (4) output caps, I haven't done that yet.

Thanks H9,

Not sure if I want to sell the Dodd and pick one of these up!!

Scroll down to the 1.0uF 400V $10.51 ea X 4 = 42.04, these will replace the (4) output coupling caps

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...cap_ppmfx.html

Scroll down to the 0.22uF 400V $12.72 ea X 2 = 25.44, these will replace the (2) input coupling caps.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capaci...m_auricap.html

a total of $67.48 plus shipping

H9

P.S. Be sure to measure for the (4) output caps, I haven't done that yet.
    The 1uf, 400v Multicap measures 17.7mm (W) x 20.3mm (H) x 22mm (L). Do you think these would fit the Dared?
    Thanks.

The 1uf, 400v Multicap measures 17.7mm (W) x 20.3mm (H) x 22mm (L). Do you think these would fit the Dared?
    Thanks.
    If I decide to just change the input caps with Auricaps, would that be significant enough?

It's all your fault H9 and George!!!

I have one on the way! and I am keeping the Dodd for now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    It's all your fault H9 and George!!!

I have one on the way! and I am keeping the Dodd for now!!!
    Congrats, you'll hate me more now because you have to use a really good rectifier and roll some nice tubes.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (47)

If I decide to just change the input caps with Auricaps, would that be significant enough?
    Start with that and see how you like it--will you hear a difference over the stock input caps--I say yep,,you should.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Congrats, you'll hate me more now because you have to use a really good rectifier and roll some nice tubes.

H9
    Give me some good ideas on a rectifier and nice tubes to roll, and I will start hunting them down!!

Thanks!!

Larry, I might have some for you. I have collected a lot of duplicates over the years so let me check my stash. I know for sure I have an extra Bendix 6106 rectifier. I'll get back with you and let you know as well as making some recommendations.

H9

Larry, I might have some for you. I have collected a lot of duplicates over the years so let me check my stash. I know for sure I have an extra Bendix 6106 rectifier. I'll get back with you and let you know as well as making some recommendations.

H9
    Thanks!! Let me know!!

Dared is in the house!!! I am digging it!! a big plus is a remote!!

I won't compare it to the Dodd just yet as I would like to swap them in and out a couple of times but I feel the Dared is more Dynamic out of the box, I will leave it at that..

I am in just awe of this unit in stock form it is a big bang for your buck unit. I have been listening for the last three hours and I just cant move from my seat except for another drink!! :-)

Looking forward to the tubes from Brock, I can tell this unit will cost me a couple hundred more $$$ in tubes..

George I think I will leave the upgrading of the caps to you fine sir!!! ;-)

Dared is in the house!!! I am digging it!! a big plus is a remote!!

I won't compare it to the Dodd just yet as I would like to swap them in and out a couple of times but I feel the Dared is more Dynamic out of the box, I will leave it at that..
    Being tube rectified is the main reason also it's a nice simple circuit.

H9

Coolness, Larry! Enjoy!!!

Give me some good ideas on a rectifier and nice tubes to roll, and I will start hunting them down!!

Thanks!!
    My favorite rectifiers are the Bendix 6106 (thank you, George) and the Brimar 5Z4. I'm a budget tube roller and some that I really like are the NOS Sylvanias. The Gold Brand 6201 and 5965 are among the best I've tried, but you know it all comes down to synergy, Larry.

Here's a link for some decently priced GB 6201s. I ordered a pair from this guy and he's quick to deliver.

http://www.dougstubes.com/sylvania-gold-brand-6201.html

The GE 5 Star 6201 is another nice one to keep an eye out for. I scored a pair of these for 25.00 bucks on fleabay.

Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo, etc. (ECC81) are the best of the best, generally, but be prepared to spend more on the European tubes. I just won snow's karma for some Siemens ECC801S that I'm really looking forward to trying. This variant is said to be the cream of the crop for the 12AT7 types. Siemens and Teles being the best for this tube. Use this link as a guideline.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

Brock, George, Jesse and Ricardo have been a valuable resource for me with tube questions. audioasylum is a good online resource for tubes as well.

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.htm

Have fun rolling, bro.
    Last edited by Keiko; 09-28-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I have some GE 12AT7's IIRC in mine with the Brimar,,the soundstage is immense,,the sound is fast,detailed and articulate.I prefer it over the Dodd ELP cause it's faster,and has a remote,,but the tone,,man,,the tone is just spot on.It's the first pice of gear that I can actually hear the difference a rectifier makes.I'm bringing it to PF if anyone wants to see/hear it.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Larry if you need recommendations beyond Kieko's or more insight let me know. I am thrilled with the pre-amp and have tried A LOT of tubes. Here's my latest entry. I have spent the past two nights with this new combo and it's really blowing my skirt up. Amazing sound!

Ok I guess it's time to have a little tube talk......................it's been awhile and I'm sure you guys missed me gushing about my latest tube purchase. I have really corraled the tube buying lately. Partly because I have just about everything represented in the 12AT7 and variant category. Still, I'm on Ebay every other day checking the listings, it's been a fantastic source for me.

About two weeks ago I was looking at yet another rectifier for the Dared SL2000A pre-amp since it responds so well to rectifier changes, and I come across a seller in Greece who had NOS Tungsram 5Z4G military large envelope rectifiers (sold in pairs). I have never seen them before and the plate structure is unique. After some research these are old, as in WWII radar equipment old, and for a very short time Tungsram had a division in Tottenham England, these are from Tottenham rather than Hungary, where 90% of Tungsram tubes originate.

I recieved the pair Monday, expertly packed from Greece. They are pristine, NOS, wrapped in the cardboard inserts from what I assume is from a bulk pack carton. Black base, parallel black ladder type plates, bottom rectangle getter. These are simply superb and slightly edge out the Military Brimar 5Z4G rectifier I am so fond of. Talk about tone, presence and mellow airy highs and excellent detail retrival. I paid $80US for a pair, including shipping, which was about $11. It's amazing how a rectifer can completely change the character of this pre-amp.

Awhile ago I purchased 2/pr NOS GE 6829 tubes from different sellers. Both pairs are from 1959 and 3-mica, one pair is the 5 Star designation the other is "JG" designation. Both are rugged industrial tubes very similar or identical to the 6414/E180CC/7062 type. They have long plates. Unfortunately both pairs were severly microphonic which makes no sense since they are 3 mica and built to be rugged. The 5 Star pair I was able to use 2 pairs of dampers to keep them from going microphonic.

WOWZA, these tubes are amazing, BIG, HUGE 3D soundstage, deep bass and the highs are detailed, mellow and sparkly. Lots of presence and ambient information as well as being fairly quick tubes. This is fairly uncommon tube that is only been recently discovered by audiophiles. I am thrilled with the 6829 and Tungsram rectifier. Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop, it's like I'm in the front row. I was playing some other live stuff last night and the audience banter had me looking around my room for the people talking to tell them to shut up!!

H9

About two weeks ago I was looking at yet another rectifier for the Dared SL2000A pre-amp since it responds so well to rectifier changes, and I come across a seller in Greece who had NOS Tungsram 5Z4G military large envelope rectifiers (sold in pairs). I have never seen them before and the plate structure is unique. After some research these are old, as in WWII radar equipment old, and for a very short time Tungsram had a division in Tottenham England, these are from Tottenham rather than Hungary, where 90% of Tungsram tubes originate.
    Does it look like this, Brock? In the words of george daniel, very innaresting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Z4G-TUNGSRA...-/380367314140

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Does it look like this, Brock? In the words of george daniel, very innaresting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Z4G-TUNGSRA...-/380367314140
    That's the one, a different seller, but he looks to have great feedback. I bought from a guy in Greece and the transaction couldn't have gone smoother. He also listed another pair, but that auction ended a couple days ago. Maybe he has more? But I'd grab one from this guy. As I said I've never seen one FS on Ebay (or anywhere else) before these popped up.

H9

I may look into snagging one down the road. I have plenty of rectifiers in my tube stash and looking forward to the ECC801S I won from the snowman. Gotta budget myself for all the new SACDs and vinyl that is upcoming, bro.

I'm done buying tubes for the most part, but I still check the usual sources and I couldn't pass this rectifier up. It's a really sweet sounding piece and as usual on the rare side, atleast here in the states.

H9

P.s. Hmmmmmmm.....it looks like the word "rectifier" is in here twice, but when I go to edit one of the duplicate words out, it only shows one instance of the word "rectifier". Weird!
    Last edited by heiney9; 09-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Thread Information