Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Series Output Capacitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Outfitter03 View Post
    The input caps (2) are 0.22uf and the output caps are (4) 1.0uf caps. The output caps have two caps per channel in series with a feedback connection between the first and second cap.
    This may be a dumb question but would it work to replace the first of the two series output capacitors with a 0.5 ohm value and eliminate the second capacitor? This would put the feedback connection at the output rather than between two capacitors. I'm guessing there's a good reason why they connected it this way but on the chance they just had a lot of 1.0 uf caps on hand .....
    Last edited by Stew; 10-18-2011 at 12:10 PM.

make that a 0.5 uf value.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Output Capacitors are used to block DC between components such as from the Dared Preamp to an amplifier. Only works if it is the last component in the signal path chain.

Thanks Outfitter. I was trying to understand why both caps are needed. I assume the first one keeps DC out of the feedback loop and the second one keeps any DC from the feedback loop out of the signal to the amp. Just wishful thinking that 2 would fit easier than 4.

Just loved the sound of the RCA 12AT7 black plates on my Dared Sl-2000A.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo, etc. (ECC81) are the best of the best, generally, but be prepared to spend more on the European tubes. I just won snow's karma for some Siemens ECC801S that I'm really looking forward to trying. This variant is said to be the cream of the crop for the 12AT7 types. Siemens and Teles being the best for this tube. Use this link as a guideline.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

Have fun rolling, bro.
    After reading the info and descriptions here I sprung for a pair of ECC81 Mullard's off of Ebay.
    Anxious to try others. Does anyone have experience with the Ebay sellers in Germany or Turkey ????
    Had to pick somewhere to start out so........

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    After reading the info and descriptions here I sprung for a pair of ECC81 Mullard's off of Ebay.
    Anxious to try others. Does anyone have experience with the Ebay sellers in Germany or Turkey ????
    Check your PM box, Tony.... I have bought tubes from ebay sellers in Germany and in the UK. I use common sense before pulling the trigger by checking their feedback and sales ratios, never had a problem. I also check a seller's, feedback left for others. Reading these comments, you can kinda get a feel for the person you're dealing with. Ask questions if you're not sure and use your instincts. Most are cool, but like I said, just utilize your common sense and trust your instincts before committing. ebay/paypal in most cases has your back, but the claims process can be a pita and it's best to avoid it, if possible.

Mike - Got it. Definitely more reading in order. Thanks.

Mike - Got it. Definitely more reading in order. Thanks.
    Tony, did you get the Brimar yet?

Which ones in Turkey or Germany?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Hey Nap, let me check my stash I may have a pair of wonderful Valvo Hamburg tubes I'd be willing to sell. I need to thin the herd a little bit as I went a little crazy buying certain tubes. Let me check this evening. Let me know if you are interested.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Tony, did you get the Brimar yet?
    Yes, it came rather quickly from the UK (very impressed by this). Haven't done any listening yet as I wanted to have a replacement option in place for the stock tubes that came with the pre amp. I am waiting for the Mullard's to show up.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Hey Nap, let me check my stash I may have a pair of wonderful Valvo Hamburg tubes I'd be willing to sell. I need to thin the herd a little bit as I went a little crazy buying certain tubes. Let me check this evening. Let me know if you are interested.

H9
    Sure, let me know what you have. Send me a PM, Thanks.

Yes, it came rather quickly from the UK (very impressed by this). Haven't done any listening yet as I wanted to have a replacement option in place for the stock tubes that came with the pre amp. I am waiting for the Mullard's to show up.
    Cheers.
    Cool! I've had smooth dealings with James, and yes, he does ship fast. I suggest snagging a Mullard GZ30 from him also. I've seen those priced upwards to 50.00 on ebay and other sites, same production. For 12.50USD, it's a no-brainer and another good rectifier.

BTW, I'll take you up on that offer. If you don't like the Brimar, you can nuke me, but if you do, I get the launch codes for 5 minutes.

( muhuhaha! I can't lose. )

Last edited by Keiko; 11-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.

The early Brimar is the winner here for rectification, IMO. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1959 Mullard GZ30 for comparison. Nap, which Mullards did you get? The later Mullard CV's are not all that hot. I can't believe you haven't hooked her up yet.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1959 Mullard GZ30 for comparison.
    Brock, what's that one going for, if you don't mind my asking?

$15.95 plus $8 shipping from the U.K. I am guessing the date based on the tube code, logos and writing on the tube. Not a lot of solid info out there on the Mullard GZ30/5Z4GT. It has an early Mullard sheild logo, a BVA stamp, and says "British Made" on it. All lead me to believe it's an earlier tube than what's typically seen. The tube code puts it at 1956 or 1966. 56 seems a bit early and 66 seems too late based on the markings. I figure for less than $25 it was worth a shot and should be a good rectifier even if it turns out to be later than I suspect.

H9

AFAICT,

"British Made" appears on mid-late 50's tubes
    "Made In Great Britain" started showing up in the early 60's
    "Gt. Britain" started showing up in the late 60's early 70's

Actually if the acid code is to be believed these are probably from 1956.

6H1
    B6K

H9

Gotcha! The one I have is early 70s, same as the Brimar, but a solid tubes nonetheless. Crazy fun deciphering some of these codes.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Decipher-C...00000008041563

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Actually if the acid code is to be believed these are probably from 1956.

6H1
    B6K

H9
    No way that H9 code is from the '50's. More like the '70's, I'm thinkin.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    No way that H9 code is from the '50's. More like the '70's, I'm thinkin.
    hehe

Hey Larry, Mike, Brock and everyone else. It's been a while since I've been on the forums. I hope everyone is doing well!

I noticed one of you guys mentioned a new rectifier, the "5Z4G TUNGSRAM". What are you guys thinking of that one now? Any better (or different in a good way) than a vintage Brimar? Just wondering if I should pick one up...

I'm still running an old Brimar rectifier with a nice set of Valvo signal tubes (or sometimes long-plate Sylvanias or other signal tubes for a change). I had a guy over the other night that hadn't heard my setup yet, and just had some low background music going from my PS3 (running through my surround sound setup). After a while he commented on the sound from my SDA-SRS's. *** Cue show-off time *** I said, "You haven't heard anything yet!". I proceeded to fire up my 2 channel rig with the Dared and let it warm up for about 30 minutes. Then I cranked up a few tunes and he said, and I quote, "Wow, thanks for the outer body experience!" Yep, I'm still diggin the Dared!

Larry - How's the tube rollin going? Sounds like you got some Tele's, nice! I still haven't ponied up the money for a set of those yet. If you're interested, we could get together and do some tube rollin sometime. It's probably nothing compared to Brock's stash, but I built up a moderate sized stash of rectifiers and varying signal tubes. However, if you have a nice rectifier with those Tele's, you're probably already in music nirvana!

Alan check the FM I am selling a small part of my stash

Congrats on the enjoyment. I also will be selling a couple really old Brimar rectifiers shortly.

Enjoy.

H9

Alan check the FM I am selling a small part of my stash

Congrats on the enjoyment. I also will be selling a couple really old Brimar rectifiers shortly.

Enjoy.

H9
    H9 - Thanks for the offer, and I'll take a look, but I think I'm out of the market for more tubes at the moment (famous last words, right?!). I'm spending too much money on building my man cave right now...

On another note, is there a verdict on which upgraded Caps made the most difference in the Dared? Was it worth it?

Alan

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Was it worth it,, for me yes,,but thats what I do,,, I used Teflon's(Big A$$ Russian) on the inputs and Obligatto's on the output,IMHO,,they took it to another level,midrange bloominess etc,,,not alot of real estate to work with,,,so if you are fainthearted you might not want to perform this mod--just my .02 worth.Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I'm still waiting to hear back on my Dared I'm really bummed it's not working!!

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Was it worth it,, for me yes,,but thats what I do,,, I used Teflon's(Big A$$ Russian) on the inputs and Obligatto's on the output,IMHO,,they took it to another level,midrange bloominess etc,,,not alot of real estate to work with,,,so if you are fainthearted you might not want to perform this mod--just my .02 worth.Good luck.
    George -Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was a little concerned about how tight it looks in there. I'll probably try the mod sometime down the road, but I probably need to back burner the idea for now because I have too many projects on my plate as it is....

RCA 12AT7 BPs are great sounding tubes. I prefer them over the Mullards 4024s, Jan Phillips and even the Tungsrams. I wonder if the Teles or Amperexs would be better than the RCAs.

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    pic's please.
    Name:  DARED SL-2000A.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  430.5 KB
    I opened up my Dared SL-2000A and found 3 different uf values : 2.2uf, 1uf and .047uf with 3 different colored caps. Would anyone know what caps are these? I'm sorry if the pics seem not that clear.
    Last edited by jessie52; 12-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

What are you folks doing for isolation feet for the 2000A?

Thread Information