Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (47)

mine were 1.0Uf caps(output),and there were 4 of them.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi, all. This thread was what got me to join the forum. Great stuff.

I'm wondering if someone could forward me a copy of the schematics. I've attached photos of the unit with the back off so it is clear which edition I've got.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dared 2000a board 01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	70972Click image for larger version

Name:	Dared 2000a board 02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	70973

I'm still looking for mine--try Brock(H9),,I think that I emailed him a copy.

Thanks, George. I just sent a note to Brock. I really appreciate the help!!

-Matt

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    I'm still looking for mine--try Brock(H9),,I think that I emailed him a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfg View Post
    Thanks, George. I just sent a note to Brock. I really appreciate the help!!

-Matt
    Hi Matt,

I'm sure I have George's e-mail here somewhere, I'll email it to you when I find it. IIRC, Joe Zhou asked that it not be posted on the internet.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Yours looks like an earlier one like mine since it has the Auricaps and no gold pcb's or gold tube sockets. They made a gold version w/Auricaps too. Do you have a wooden remote or blueish key fob type?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

H9, I've got the blue plastic remote with the clicking-step motor.

I heard back from Joe (from Dared) and he provided me with the schematics. So, I'm in good shape there, and thanks to you and George for checking on these for me.

I have been sort of away from the hi-fi for the last couple of years working on a degree. I was just getting back into some focused listening, thinking I might even try rolling some tubes, when things went south with the preamp. I figure I'll post to the 2-Channel or Troubleshooting sections of the forum with details on my problem in hope that I'll get some advice (right channel started crackling, and eventually pretty much shut off with just the faintest sound heard on that channel. Swapped tubes, same effect with input/outputs 1 and 2).

Once I get this fixed, I intend to try one of those Bendix rectifiers if I can find one. It sounds like it made quite a difference on some systems.

Thanks again for checking on those schematics. I really appreciate it.

-Matt.

Sorry to hear, that stinks. First place I would check is the Auricap coupling cap. Are you using the proper tubes? I ask not to presume you don't know what you are doing, but a local friend with the same era Dared had the same problem and it was because the previous owner used the wrong rectifier. Turned out to be a bad Auricap. Are you the original owner or second hand owner? Where are you located? There is an authorized service center (Deltronics) in the Chicago, IL suburbs that works on these, just an FYI.

H9

The Bendix 6106 is a nice rectifier but any variation of the Brimar/English 5Z4G is superior, IMO. When you get ready I have some extras as I have been sort of hoarding them

H9

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Hi Matt,

I'm sure I have George's e-mail here somewhere, I'll email it to you when I find it. IIRC, Joe Zhou asked that it not be posted on the internet.

H9
    Thanks Brock,, Joe was kind enough to share it with me,,and I with others,,but please guys,,lets keep the schems private via e-mails--with that said--Brock,,please send me a copy,,I cannot find mine,,kinda embarrassing,,,and H9 is spot on about the rectifiers,,,you'd be hard pressed to find a better rectifier than the Brimar. Regards to all,,,and a big tip of the hat to H9.

Yes, H9, using the proper tubes and I'm not at all offended at the question. I'm feeling my way into the electronics side of this hi-fi hobby, which is one of the reasons I found this thread and others so interesting and helpful. I suppose I'll put a meter probe on either side of the caps and see what happens (Ha! That's what I mean by feeling my way into this. Although I know enough not to have gotten blasted yet.) I'm the second owner, located in Ithaca. There's a man here who has worked on tube audio for years, and I think between his knowledge, the simplicity of the unit, and the availability of the schematics, he should do okay with it. And if I can troubleshoot/diagnose a little, it may be a less costly affair.

Thanks so much for the info on the tubes. Once I get this thing working again, I will definitely contact you about your hoard!

I may be away from the internet for a couple of days, but I'd be happy to send my copy of the schematics to anyone who needs it. I'm still under the required number of posts to message members, but I can email through the forum. If you want to send me your email address that way, then I'll have yours and will send you the schematics as an attachment in the reply (I sent a similar message to George).

Thanks again.

-Matt.

Matt,, I used Russian teflons (where your Auricaps are,,,mine did not have the Auricap's),,,the 4 big a$$ yellow caps were changed in mine(profanity involved) with Obligatto's, I was fortunate to get a Brimar rectifier(H9's suggestion) and some Syl signal tubes,,,currently I have some Mullards (thank you dr R) in place of the sylvanias,,,I am very happy with mine,and I think that you'll be hard pressed to better it for the monies spent,,YMMV.The Dared does respond very well to tube rolling,,so,, follow the advice given you and I think that you will be a happy camper.Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the information, George. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves, and ground myself. Looking forward to posting a success story.

-Matt.

Thanks for the information, George. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves, and ground myself. Looking forward to posting a success story.

-Matt.
    Take lots of photo's and document everything real well, it helps for future DIYer's. Have fun

H9

Quote Originally Posted by daubyPaky View Post
    Le cochon rentre alors profiter des grosses seins ?normes d f?vrier par admin .Vue fois mature aux blastbs punbb sesp rez de mamelles jeune avril air tous les .
    Vues fois une jeune shemale tube e longuement on certaine attention pour des gouts classiques .
    Vues fois gang bang sexy du mai licatesse alors le qui est visiblement un commentaire plan de m pour .
    you and your twin are quick lil spammers

Brock and George, it turned out to be a bad 47k resistor in the right channel circuit. I wound up bringing it in to the HiFi shop, and the owner (a wonderful guy trained as a technician way back in the day) was intrigued by the unit, and offered to do the job for less than the bench fee. The tough location of the resistor combined with his vastly superior skills made this an offer I couldn't refuse.

Brock, now that I'm back in business, I'd love to take you up on your offer to help me with some tube rolling. I'll send you an email.

Much thanks to you both!

-Matt

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Question - are there any upgrade opportunities on this piece other than the caps and tube rolling? Any benefit to doing resistor upgrades? What about the pot? Just wondering if anyone's done any investigation....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Question - are there any upgrade opportunities on this piece other than the caps and tube rolling? Any benefit to doing resistor upgrades? What about the pot? Just wondering if anyone's done any investigation....
    IMO, you have to be pretty adept at electronics to do much beyond the cap upgrade and even then George had to run leads and mount elsewhere in the chassis. There is little to no room for much else. The vol control is the typical nicer ALPS, but of you went with something more esoteric I'm not sure it would fit.

The Auricap input coupling cap upgrade is doable without too much fuss. Beyond that you'd need to do some re-engineering for much else.

H9

Ok, didn't realize they used a decent Alps pot, that's good to know. Brock, can you send me that schematic?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Ok, didn't realize they used a decent Alps pot, that's good to know. Brock, can you send me that schematic?
    I have it at home, but I will send it to you.

Thanks!

Actually, probably a bad idea to go anywhere near the pot. There's a remote control for the volume, which means there's a little motor that wants to be left alone....

Hello,
    I have a pair of DARED VP20's and a Dared SL-2000A (key chain remote) 2003 production that I need to sell but I have absolutely no idea what to ask for them (want to sell all three at once). I'm not trying to sell them in this thread I just need some advice from the folks who own these DARED's. They sound great and work perfectly, its just that I live in the desert where common temps hover around 110 and I can't use any equipment that produces heat the way tubes do. Thanks.

I have a Dared SL-2000 which sounds great but I can hear a hum from the speakers. I already upgraded the tubes to NOS and rectifier to Bendix. Is this common?

I've had mine less than 24 hours and am dealing with a hum. Others have said their's is dead quiet, so no it's not normal. I'm going to try the signal tubes and hopefully that clears it up!

For what it's worth, I have some hum as well. It's very low, and is inaudible when the music is playing. However, between songs, if I'm close enough to the speakers then I can hear the hum. I'd love to solve it, but it hasn't been enough of a nuisance for me to rip apart my system looking for the cause.

Anyone else have hum with the sl2000a, and find a solution? Is it the unit, or other factors?

Also, the hum stays at a constant level, regardless of how low/high the Dared is set.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_alan View Post
    For what it's worth, I have some hum as well. It's very low, and is inaudible when the music is playing. However, between songs, if I'm close enough to the speakers then I can hear the hum. I'd love to solve it, but it hasn't been enough of a nuisance for me to rip apart my system looking for the cause.

Anyone else have hum with the sl2000a, and find a solution? Is it the unit, or other factors?

Also, the hum stays at a constant level, regardless of how low/high the Dared is set.
    Mine is almost silent. If I put my ear to the speaker I can hear a very slight, almost inaudible hiss. Maybe try some different cables. I'm using AVt2s throughout my rig. Tube dampers also if you're not already.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Mine is almost silent. If I put my ear to the speaker I can hear a very slight, almost inaudible hiss. Maybe try some different cables. I'm using AVt2s throughout my rig. Tube dampers also if you're not already.
    Yeah, I'll have to give different cables a shot. Already have Herbie's tube dampers on my tubes. Part of my problem might be that my amp has 32 db of gain, so the background noise will be a bit louder than amps with only 29 db of gain. I'll have to switch to one of my Adcoms to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_alan View Post
    Yeah, I'll have to give different cables a shot. Already have Herbie's tube dampers on my tubes. Part of my problem might be that my amp has 32 db of gain, so the background noise will be a bit louder than amps with only 29 db of gain. I'll have to switch to one of my Adcoms to see if that helps.
    The hum/noise I'm dealing with can be heard 15 ft. away from the speakers. I've tried everything except changing tubes, which I'll do as soon as finances get better. I've thought about sending mine in to see if something got loose during shipping.

Default changing Caps

Hi mf, could you send me a another clear photo from the inside. Changing the caps, I interrupt a
    small black wire (on the backside) and now not know where I have to resolder.
    Thanks in advance,
    tubetto

Hi, all. This thread was what got me to join the forum. Great stuff.

I'm wondering if someone could forward me a copy of the schematics. I've attached photos of the unit with the back off so it is clear which edition I've got.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt.

Attachment 70972Attachment 70973

Thread Information