Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dacs

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Dacs

Ok, here's the gist, I've pretty much nailed it down to two dacs. The W4S dac 1, or the Burson 160d. I also have order the cullen modded sonos ZP90 to get plugged into. What I am looking for is for some of you to expand on the sound qualities of either if you heard either one or own one. What I have gathered so far is that the Burson is warmer, more musical. I guess I'm afraid if I go with the w4s, the sound will be too digital, sterile to some degree. I'm aware of the different attributes of each, so stick with SQ,and associate gear. I may just stick it out a tad bit longer because Burson is suppose to come out with a stand alone dac, but the 160d is also a class A pre amp but lacks alot of inputs you'd get with the W4S. I know, a toss up, but I haven't had an ear on either one and will be buying blind so any comments will go along way from those who have their ears on these 2 units. Thanks in advance for any help.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I know of some older Audio Alchemy gear is going to come up for sale at Phoenix Audio, and some techs can mod/update them, they'll probably sell pretty cheap. I don't know which ones they are yet, but I can find out if you or anyone else is interested. I just got a nice used Onix CDP that I love, so I'm set for awhile, or I'd be looking hard at the AA stuff.
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    I know of some older Audio Alchemy gear is going to come up for sale at Phoenix Audio
    Can you elaborate on this further ? Specifically which models ? I am interested if the price is right. Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I heard both units back to back in the same rig. IIRC, the Burson is not warmer up top, both units sound very similar with the Wyred having a better bottom end and bigger dynamics.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Face, was that the W4S 1 or 2 you heard against the Burson ? I was talking to the dude over at Underwood HIFI, the other day, he liked both too but gave the wyred the edge.
    Bigger dynamics is key for me since I have speaks that can do big dynamics, just looking for than analog sound from my Sonos. Put some soul back into digital is the direction I'm looking at. Phil, seems to like his tube buffer, man, thats yet another piece of gear for the wife to get confused over.

TBH, I don't remember, but the W4S DAC-1 and 2 sound nearly identical unless you're using a USB connection(asynch vs. non).
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Tony, those are two excellent dac's you have picked out. I haven't heard either of them but they both get stellar reviews. If you could snag both at the same time with a 30 day return policy an A/B shootout would be the real test. Now on another note, I wouldn't discount the CA DacMagic...it's a remarkable sounding dac & at it's price is a real sweeeeeet deal. Way less than 1/2 of the other two & it will definetely not be embarrased in their company. The DacMagic also receives stellar reviews. Worth a look. Oh & yes indeed I'm really enjoying the Yagin Tube Buffer in the mix!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

The DacMagic does sound nice, but isn't in the same league as the other two.

I upgraded one of my 2 DacMagic's to a W4S DAC-1 (LSi9 system). There's definitely a noticeable difference between the two - the W4S is more detailed and a little more neutral.

But as Face mentioned ... the DacMagic is still nice. My other one is still hooked to my Denon/A21/RTi A7s and it'll prob stay there.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Have you thought about an older Theta Dac(Pro Basic IIIA or Gen Va)?
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Quote Originally Posted by danz1906 View Post
    Have you thought about an older Theta Dac(Pro Basic IIIA or Gen Va)?
    Nope, but I have been looking at the PS digital link with the cullen mods, and head to head with the W4S dacs, the bottomline from all reviews was W4S still won out.

Thread Information