Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Post The Official Demo Song Thread

I thought this thread might be a good idea, we'll see if the idea catches on.

Yes I know we already have demo material threads created in the past, but those typically revolve around an album and commonly turn into statements like "Anything by Steely Dan" ranging all the way to "Anything by lady Gaga". Leaving the (in)accuracy of those statements aside, they're not always that helpful.

So the point of this thread is to create a usable list of demo SONGS. I'm not the boss of you, but it would be great if we could keep this thread nice and tidy so that it can serve as a good reference. Ideally your post would contain the following elements:

- Artist
    - Album
    - Track
    - Any note about a special pressing or special version
    - Application, used for speakers, headphones or both
    - Why you selected this track for demo material and what you're listening for.

If we do this right this could be a tool not only for us but with enough activity may get some internet traffic as well so let's try not to muck it up.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Ok, I'll bite and start first. One 'song' per post.

Media: SACD

Artist: Doobie Brothers

Album: Captain and Me

Track: South City Midnight Lady

Note: Mobile Fidelity Remaster

Application: Overall system demo

Reason: Superb mix and clean sonics. Great for showcasing what separation, detail and spacious soundstage is all about.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'll bite on this one, I use Lad... Uhh...

Old Crow Medicine Show
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Tear it down
    All I own is the CD
    Don't do head-fi
    Love this, great blend of instruments, good vocals, very good flow to the track.
    I love most of the middle of this CD, the whole album is great although, a little rockin' bluegrass. There is some great back round mandolin, or guitar, that on lesser systems I've had a hard time picking out (PUN!) - If you've never heard this band or CD, I'd really recommend them, some good time music!

Ahhh.. Erik - Nice post, a lot cleaner then mine, but I'm too lazy to clean it up, I can't wait to get an SACD player, soon enough...

Media: CD

Artist: Bryan Ferry

Album: Boys and Girls

Track: Stone Woman

Note: none

Reason: Very clean CD. This song is very layered with different sounds and nuanced sonics. Great for using to see if system components can resolve each layer distinctly with detail, or if details get 'mushed' - you should be able to push in and out of each layer and hear each separately, yet part of the whole. Good driving bass line, too.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Artist: Hans Zimmer

Album: Gladiator

Track: Barbarian Horde

Reason: This one is a tough track for many systems, but is a great test of dynamics, it'll let you know real quick how well your system can handle dynamics. It's one of the first tracks I always use to demo gear.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Artist: Larry Carlton

Album: Collection

Track: High Steppin'

Note: none

Reason: Another very clean CD. This track has soft and loud passages - good for demo'ing system reactions to track details when the music levels go very soft, then punch louder. Good sonics top to bottom - sublime guitar work w/ spacious sonics.

I'll take a turn here also
    Media :cd
    Artist:Jimi Hendrix
    Album:Axsis Bold As Love
    Track:Bold As Love
    Note:Stereo Seperation ,Instrument phasing
    Aplication:Demo app for speakers
    Reason: CD has effects never used on albums before and the phasing shifting of feedback was controlled and deliberate.Guitar work beyond reproach only to be copied never to be surpassed.

Def Tom Petty "Wildflowers" the whole CD sounds awsome. Also, Collective Soul and eventhough it's old "Talking Heads" Little Creatures.

Default Cortez the Killer.

Media- Youtube..but I'm sure a CD would totally sound better.

Artist- Grace Potter, Joe Satriani, Steve Kimock, Reed Mathis, Willy Waldman and Stephen Perkins

Album- Cover @ the Jammy's

Track- Cortez the Killer

Note- Just go listen to it!

Application- Vocal and Instrumental Sm?rg?sbord

Reason- Grace Potter is easy on the eyes...and the music is good too!

Artist:
    Massive Attack

Album: Heligoland

Track: Splitting The Atom

Application: Great for speakers and Headphones

Reason: Very good bass, great dynamics, great range of vocals. This track WILL test your system. It'll sound good on alot of gear, but to get the most out of this track you'll need a well rounded system.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Clapton's "Pilgram" will give your system's low end a total workout. Still stays smooth and it sounds like he is in the room playing.
    It's better to burn out, than poop your pants

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Please read the first post, let's try to stick to the formula
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Ok...i could never really follow directions ;)
    It's better to burn out, than poop your pants

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Media: CD/SACD

Artist: The Eagles

Album: Hell Freezes Over

Track: Hotel California (Live)

Application: Speakers & Headphones

Reason: In short, Midbass, Imaging, "liveness" (is that even a word?)

To stretch it out a little bit: The percussion section is mixed well with the shaker using both speakers. The kick drum has a nice, strong midbass attack that precedes a hearty tuned thump, instantly giving you an idea of a system's bass tightness/boominess. I also love the way the guitars are detailed, but not overly detailed to the point where they're edgy and annoying. I particularly enjoy the guitar solo at the end, as that really gives you an idea of the imaging of the system. Typically they sit just a hair inward from each speaker, but I've had systems present them outside of them, which absolutely blows my mind. The vocals are fantastic as well. Even the audience cheering comes through excellently.
    Last edited by JimAckley; 07-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, DIY Statements, Samsung 52" LCD

Artist: Chris Botti

Album: Night Sessions

Track: All Would Envy

Note: Standard initial release

Reason: Scoff if you will - smooth jazz...so be it - but this track will make you weep at the composition and the clarity. Sure - redbook cd, but this is a clean track top to bottom and left to right. Female vocals by Shawn Colvin will reveal if your speakers have what it takes. Great demo track.

Media: Flac / CD

Artist: The Crystal Method

Album: Vegas

Track: High Roller

Application: Low-end (Bass) test

Reason: I use this song to demo every singe speaker before I buy it. At the 00:34 second mark a very low drum kicks in. Many many systems I have auditioned the speaker rattles and distorts badly when this note hits. If a speaker can't handle it then I move on. My LSi25's handle it perfectly!

Media: FLAC / CD / SACD

Artist: Dire Straits

Album: Brothers in Arms

Track: Brothers in Arms

Application: Overall

Reason: I actually created a CD of demo tracks last year when I went to audition the KEFs. I found that this song, more than the others, helped me assess the overall capabilities of the speakers (other demo gear being different aside). I find that the song's intro (before the drums kick in) is a great indicator for clarity / higher frequencies. While it's not a fast song, there is a solid bass drum 'thump' and if a speaker can hit it solidly, it's a good sign. Finally I like to gauge the midrange based on the guitar riffs and Knopfler's voice itself. It's one of my favorite songs and (at least to me), that album is well recorded. It's probably one of the most frequently played tracks on my Q900s.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (1)

- Artist: TEARS FOR FEARS
    - Album: SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR
    - Track: THE WORKING HOUR
    Vinyl

I listen to this song or ROXY MUSIC Avalon SACD when testing new rigs.
    Adcom GFP-750
    Adcom GFA-555II
    Monitor Audio silver RX2
    NAD T585 SACD
    Technics sl-1200mk2 / ortofon m2 blue (signal cable/ Eichmann mod / Sumiko HS-12 Headshell
    Jolida JD9 II / Mulllard Tubes
    SignalCable Ultra speaker cables
    SignalCable Analog 2 IC's
    "ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE IS A DAMN NUANCE CAN YOU DIG I???"

Media: Vinyl

Artist: Pink Floyd

Album: Meddle

Track: Fearless

Reason: Lot's of great detail. Nice bass line. Good vocals. Acoustic guitar parts should really snap.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Artist: Jack Johnson

Album: In Between Dreams

Track: Better Together/Never Know

Application: 2.1

Reason: Both tracks are super smooth and easy on the ears even at high levels. Better Together has a great descending bassline that will make whether or not you've chosen the correct crossover setting painfully obvious. Never Know has great kick drum sounds that are punchy but not too in-your-face. I actually used these two tracks when integrating my sub.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Artist: Radiohead

Album: Amnesiac

Track: Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box

Application: 2.1

Reason: It was really hard to follow the rules with this album. I could have listed nearly every track for a variety of reasons. Instrument separation is fantastic. Great full range demo track. It's amazing how the synth sounds can seem super forward, but never overpower the vocals in this track.

Runner up here was the next track on the album, "Pyramid song." Love the way the drums sound after they come in around 2:00. I've also used "Hunting Bears" for more than one speaker demo.
    Last edited by drummer86; 06-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

Artist: NIN

Album: The Fragile

Track: Even Deeper/The Pilgrimage

Application: 2.0 or 2.1

Reason: Even Deeper: If you have a nice subwoofer and aren't sure around the structural integrity of your home proceed with caution here. Even in 2 channel this is a fun one to watch the drivers bounce.
    The Pilgrimage: The soundstage in this is positively enormous. It makes my baby Totems sound like 6 foot tall towers. I'd love to hear it on an actual set of 6 foot towers...

Artist: David Bowie

Album: Station To Station (Bowie remaster)

Track: TVC15

Application: imaging/dynamics

It's a very well-produced cd; on this particular track, there's a significant difference in dynamics between the "chorus" and the rest of the song; there should be an effect of the entire track projecting more aggressively during that chorus. If it's there, you're good.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

Artist: Steely Dan

Album: Everything Must Go

Track: Everything Must Go

Note: Tone out the wazz... the intro tells it all

Application: Test Complete Audio Spectrum

Reason: From bass to female vocals, cymbals, vocals, sax,piano,percussion and guitars are all spot on and the mix is perfect as you would expect from the guys who named the band after a sex toy.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Thread Information