Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bridging an amp

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Bridging an amp

Hello all,

Planning what to do for amps in my theater.

Thought about getting a smaller 2 channel amp that can be bridged to run the center channel.

Always wondered, When you bridge, do you lose sound quality?

Thinking about using a Rotel amp with Rti a6.

Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I bridged my Rotel RB-1070 for center channel duties and never had any issues with it. I believe that Rotel states using 8 ohm speakers. My Revel center is a 6 ohm speaker. Probably borderline. I am now bi-amping using the same amp/speaker combo.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Generally you do lose quality, but for HT it's not that much of an issue. But be sure to use an 8 ohm speaker. When you bridge a stereo amp it "see's" 1/2 the load so a bridged mono running an 8 ohm speaker is essentially only seeing 4 ohms. You start to drop below 4 ohms and there could be issues.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

in most cases it wont , the amp says 4 ohms minimum in stereo the bridge load can only be 8 ohms . I had a audiosource amp it was printed on it 4-8 ohms in stereo I tried to bridge it for my kef center but the kef was a 6 ohm and the amp would not do it , it needed to be a 8 ohm speaker for the bridge .

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You start to drop below 4 ohms and there could be issues.

H9
    To be clear, when I stated this I meant the amp "seeing" 4 ohms, not that you could use a 4 ohm speaker, then the amp would be "seeing" 2 ohms and that would not work out to well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by 20hz View Post
    in most cases it wont , the amp says 4 ohms minimum in stereo the bridge load can only be 8 ohms . I had a audiosource amp it was printed on it 4-8 ohms in stereo I tried to bridge it for my kef center but the kef was a 6 ohm and the amp would not do it , it needed to be a 8 ohm speaker for the bridge .
    Good to know. Thanks all.

Thread Information