Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Do You Recall Your First Ever CD Purchase?

At the risk of this thread being brought up a hundred times before...a recent new speaker purchase has me going through my library again. My son, daughter and I met for dinner before Christmas and the "first ever" purchase was brought up. I remember it like it was yesterday, what amazed me was that they both did as well. My daughter was around, but my son wasn't even born yet. Music was always a big part of our lives, and still is. Truely compelling what we pass along to our children without even knowing... oh, and it was Supertramp's Breakfast In America. Not exactly an audiophile's dream, but the disc still plays some 30 years later.

I was late to the CD revolution and thought they were a fad and so I hung on to my cassette player til 1990. At that point I finally gave in and bought a Pioneer 6 disc changer for my car and the first CD I bought had to be my favorite which was Queensryche's Empire.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

MC Hammer! To legit to quit! Thats funny chit! Cant believe i just posted this!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

1985 I bought a cheap Emerson cd player and zztop afterburner.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

For me Garth Brooks for the wife the Extremes.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

So-Peter Gabriel (IIRC )

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells.

1986, Papa Do-Ron-Ron, a Beach Boy cover ban, DDD, still have it and sounds great. Used it to audition new gear when we actually had hi-fi stores, used it to audition Magnaplanar MG2?....couldn't afford them....but I got 'em now.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

1987: Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I bought two discs at the same time... Quiet Riot's Metal Health, and The Beatle's Abbey Road way back in 1983. Wish I never opened Abbey Road, as it is among the rarest cd's ever released and is worth a fortune in mint condition with the obi attached.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Jeff Beck - Flash 1985

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You know it's funny, but I can't remember the first CD I bought. However, I do remember the first LP I bought. It was one of the very first "Top of the Pops" series. I was very young and living in England at the time. Not sure if they were ever released anywhere other than England. Anyway, I either threw it away at some point or it went with all my other LP's when I sold them. Probably should have kept it for nostalgia's sake.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Mine were actually purchased through a CD club. Remember those? I purchased Led Zeppelin I through Coda all at the same tme! They were three CD's for a penny! And I had to only purchase one! I did that a couple times and got all the Zeppelin CD's! Then I quit the BMG club and started purchasing at my local CD stores (Tower Records, CD warehouse, Rhasputin's, etc.)
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Something by Deep Purple I remember. Think it was Knocking at your Backdoor.

First vinyl was Kiss-Rock And Rollover! lol
    --Gary--

It was about 1991, Dr. Dre's "The Chronic". I actually had a "front loading" CD player, it opened like a cassette player.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms and a Magnavox cd player in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells.
    I haven't heard that in years!

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I have no clue. IIRC, my first CD purchase was actually the purchase of about 10-12 CD's at the local LP turned CD shop. Didn't even have my CDP yet and I ended up purchasing about 150 or so CD's before one was ever purchased. That was a lot of lawns back then.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    I have no clue. IIRC, my first CD purchase was actually the purchase of about 10-12 CD's at the local LP turned CD shop. Didn't even have my CDP yet and I ended up purchasing about 150 or so CD's before one was ever purchased. That was a lot of lawns back then.

Tom
    Lawn mowing was my introduction to the working world back in the day, paid for my first vinyl LP, Black Sabbath self titled. But early 80's, cd's were out, and I was playing music videos on my Sony Hi-Fi Beta machine, with my Sony amp, Sony ProFeel 27" monitor, and Advent speakers......could life get any better?
    Last edited by Tornado Red; 01-07-2013 at 08:55 AM.

I resisted the move to CD until '89. I too, joined one of the mail order clubs and got G-n-R "Appetite for Destruction", Eagles "Hotel California", Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy" and Willie Nelson "Stardust".

The Outfield Play deep and then I went out and got a Technics 5-disc player and hooked it up to my Scott receiver.

My first CD purchase was actually a mistake. I had ordered a bunch of titles from one of the music clubs. Instead of a cassette, they sent me a CD of Jimi Hendrix, Kiss the Sky. Rather than go through the hassle of returning it, I went out & bought a Magnavox CDB-650, & my journey down the rabbit hole began.

Tornado Red, that's funny I also remember recording lots of music videos on my Sony superbeta back in the early/middle 80's when MTV first came out. They weren't even on the air all the time, there was a window in the early morning when they were off the air. Don't remember the first CD I ever bought, but I remember the first Lp, a friend of mine and I went to a record store after purchasing 45's for a long time and were going to each buy our first LP. He bought Jimi Hendrix's first album and I bought Blood, Sweat and Tears. The next day at school, my friend said he couldn't stand that Hendrix album and I told him I couldn't stand the BS&T, so we swapped and I played that Hendrix album every day before school for a year and half straight. He loved the BS&T too.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Christine McVie's first solo album. At the time, 99% of CD's were only classical music, so there wasn't much to pick from---and I had just bought a Sony's first CDP. Still have that CD, it's recorded quite well.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

My dad was mean. He didnt like grunge so I was never allowed to keep cds in the house. So my first CD purchase was when I go my first car.
    The cds where

Radiohead Kid A
    Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits
    Pearl Jam Ten
    Nirvana Nevermind
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Tower Records
    I really miss them,great place to spend hours.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Early on, Rykodisc combined two Zappa titles on one cd. One of them was "Overnight Sensation/Apostrophe". I bought a copy about a year before I bought my first cd plyr.

First lp bought was Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels.

red hot chili peppers, blood sugar sex magik, 25 vents at a garage sale, it was all scratched up, ran it through a skip doctor and listened to it on my discman
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

bought these together...late 1985....jeff beck: wired & blow by blow...dire straits: S/T & communique...pink floyd: wish you were here & animals

Member Sales Rating: (47)

No,, but I can tell you that my first 8 track purchase was "Vanilla Fudge",I can go on but do not want to screw with this thread.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Thread Information