Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Tube preamp questions

I'm looking for a tube preamp for around $500. I found a Vincent Audio SA-31 hybrid tube pre for $600, New. I'm looking for something that will go well with my RTi12's, Onkyo M-504 power amp and Jolida 100a. I have an old Adcom gtp-400 pre. It's fairly neutral, but it is not the best pre and pretty sterile. I'm hoping a good tube pre along with the Jolida will help take some of the "digital" out of the cd's.

Most of what i can find used at a decent price is old Dynaco PAS stuff. That is kind of getting too old, for the most part they pretty much have to be rebuilt. I'm looking for one that has a bass, treble control on it. X amount of my cd collection...just not eq'd very well, so it dose need some tweaks on the treble, bass, to make them use full.

Dose anybody know about the Vincent equipment? Do you have any recommendations for something that may be in that price range? This is 2 channel stereo only. Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I have these and liked them.

Anthem Pre 2L
    Wright WLA12
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Psssst....Don't tell anybody but you can save some dough and get one heck of a nice tubed pre here...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121299

He's a solid seller and I have personally heard this unit. You will not be disappointed. It does not have the "knobs of sin" on them but once you hear it, you'll discover that they are not needed and that the music sounds better without them. Good luck in your search.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Psssst....Don't tell anybody but you can save some dough and get one heck of a nice tubed pre here...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121299

He's a solid seller and I have personally heard this unit. You will not be disappointed. It does not have the "knobs of sin" on them but once you hear it, you'll discover that they are not needed and that the music sounds better without them. Good luck in your search.
    +1, if I had the $$ that would be in Arizona right now!
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Cary,Rogue,Belles,and Joule to name a few more--I am surprised that fishbones' Cary is still here though.My guess is it won't last the weekend.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

For that budget look into the dared sl2000A tube pre read the user threads everyone that has heard one (lncluding myself ) is amazed. Best bang for that price range I've heard period. Yes I bought one .
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Member Sales Rating: (5)

You might also want to look at Conrad-Johnson. I found it to have a nice warmth that made me like CDs a lot more than I used to.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    I have these and liked them.

Anthem Pre 2L
    Wright WLA12
    +1 on the Anthem Pre 2L. I really enjoy mine. If I didn't have the Anthem, I'd be all over that Cary mentioned above.

Thread Information