Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default H/K 3600 or Marantz 6005?

Hi guys, new to club polk but have been surfing the forums for the past 3 months!
    Recently upgraded my entire setup except the receiver (yamaha rxv467). Fairly low end but I enjoy the sound it produces. Decided to upgrade and narrowed it down to the H/K 3600 or the Marantz 6005. Would like the option to upgrade to 7.1 and biamp would be nice but not essential. Here is my setup, appreciate any input i can get.

Front - Polk Monitor 40
    Center - Polk CS10
    Sub - PSW505
    Rear - Polk TSI 100
    Receiver - yamaha rxv467

ctank

Both are really good AVR's..Both have pre-amp out's...Thank you for this post.I am getting ready to upgrade my AVR so i can have the pre-amp out's so i can input my mono blocks into my HT set. I don't think you could go wrong with the Marantz 6005 or the H/K3600.I have the H/K2600 and like it a lot.But it doesn't have pre-amp outs.Getting a AVR with pre-amp out's will let me add a 5 channel amp too it,or just let the H/K or the Marantz take care of the surrounds.They both sound good.and are real close in specs.

Thanks for your input. think i may go with the marantz.

Everyone seems to like the sound of HKs but I've been hearing a lot of complaints about quality/reliability lately... seems risky for that much money to me. On the other hand, I've heard little to no complaints about Marantz in general. I'm sure many would agree that you just need to get your ears on something and see what you like. Both should be a definite upgrade from your yammy.

I've had both of them, I HATED the HK 3600 and LOVED the Marantz 6005. I could never get the Hk to sound right, the setup mic is terrible, I didn't like the overall sound it produced and quickly returned it. The Marantz was great, Audyssey is a really nice feature and it's got enough power for your monitors and pre outs if you ever upgrade. Just trying to give you my opinion since I owned them back to back. Good luck and welcome to club polk!
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    I've had both of them, I HATED the HK 3600 and LOVED the Marantz 6005. I could never get the Hk to sound right, the setup mic is terrible, I didn't like the overall sound it produced and quickly returned it. The Marantz was great, Audyssey is a really nice feature and it's got enough power for your monitors and pre outs if you ever upgrade. Just trying to give you my opinion since I owned them back to back. Good luck and welcome to club polk!
    Thanks Tons! Its hard to find a comparion of the two receivers. You answered two of my most important concerns. Think the marantz will be introduced to my house next week!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Both are good units and both have had their reliability issues. Check out accessories4less.com where you will see a slew of Marantz AVRs that have been 'reconditioned' with a new one year warranty. So it's not just the HKs that sometimes go down.

The Marantz are nice sounding receivers though!

Good Luck! And, Welcome to Club Polk!

cnh

Just got my refurbed H/K AVR 3600 I paid $411 for on Ebay from harmanaudio and I have my B&K amp hooked up to it. I have to admit it sounds quite good and has given me that sound both me and wife were missing even with the B&K amp...maybe it's the dolbyvolume that's helping??? I'm going to hook up the speakers to the H/K receiver's amp today and so I can get a comparison.
    Pioneer vsx-1120k, B&K Sonata series video-5 amplifier, Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi5, and HSU VTF-1

I know that I created this thread to compare the marantz and H/K, but I cant stop looking at my options. This stuff is addicting! I was able to narrow it down to the marantz with some help from club polk. Now, I am considering the ONKYO TX-NR609 or 809 depending if I can talk the wife into spending a bit more $$$. What are your thoughts?

I like the 809 a lot, it should be VERY future proof. I'd personally take it over the 6005 and definitely over the 3600.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Thread Information