Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Electro Voice Sentry 1000

I need information on these speakers, I've looked all over the net and can't find anything about Sentry 1000. They have 12" woofers,horn mid and a tweeter. They are in great shape and I would like to buy them, I just would like to know more about them. Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Why ask, just buy. It's a reliable brand for resale and they are sought after by fans of EV for larger projects. You should get your read on and get edumacated about audio dude. I've sold a dozen of that brand easily.

I'm trying to get edumacated, I've found lots of info on 100's and many other EV models. I just want to know about these, I have 25 sets of speakers now so adding another pair needs to be done with care.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Been there, done that. I found that there's no reason for it after doing it for years. Pick the special ones and ditch the less then stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
    I'm trying to get edumacated, I've found lots of info on 100's and many other EV models. I just want to know about these, I have 25 sets of speakers now so adding another pair needs to be done with care.
    How much are they asking for them - i think price matters when you're "speaker rolling"...

It's probably about time you part out or two pair of speakers too IMHO.

\wayne/
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie

The asking price is only $125, it's not about money but do I need another pair of speakers? I don't want to pass these up if there a great pair for little money (I'll make room)

Like you said it's not about the price....

Buy these with the intention of selling your 2 least favorite least used pair.

btw....

2 pair of KLH 17s
    2 pair of KLH 20s
    2 pair of Telefunken Satellite speakers
    1 pair of RCA Victor KS-16 satellite speakers
    1 pair of Wharfedale W70Cs
    1 pair of Wharfedale W60s
    1 pair of Realistic Nova 10s
    1 pair of Dynaco A25s

Just sold:
    1 pair of Polk Montitor 10s (peerless tweets) - last weekend
    1 pair of Polk SDA 1C Studios (black - all original) - 2 months ago in may.

So yeah i find it hard to resist a good speaker deal and like to roll the small ones in and out on my 2 channel office rig.

Good luck with the new ElectroVoice speakers and let us know your impressions of them

\wayne/
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie

Thanks for the advise, I still would like to know something about these speakers. When were they made what value do they have and are they a "collectible" speaker?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I never heard of Sentry 1000's. I have seen and heard Sentry 500's and they were quite good. Do you have a pic or something? Are you sure there 1000's and not 100's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

I don't have a picture, I spoke with the seller and asked if they were 100's rather than 1000's, he said the markings all said Sentry 1000. As I said before, I found lots of info for 100's but nothing for the 1000. I'm hoping someone can provide a little background on these.

Default Electro Voice 1000 picture

I've posted this picture with the hope that this helps in getting info on the EV Sentry 1000. Thanks
    Attached Images  

Now that I see what you mean they are called EV Sentry 1 not 1000. The seller is confused in some way.

Radio stations used to use those way back in the day. They are a two way design with a 12" woofer and horn. Not the best nor the worst but very cool for there history. My guess they were probably used in a Church or Radio Station as that is the only place I have ever seen them.

WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Here is another pic.

Brand: Electro Voice inc.
    Description of Product: Pair of Vintage EV Studio Monitors. Pulled from Radio Station Broadcast Studio
    Model: Sentry I
    Specifications: 16ohm 2 way loudspeaker set with solid wood cabinets and tweed screen, wedge shaped for corner mounting. Dimensions 37" w. x 22" d. x 17" h.
    WOW!

joe08867: You're my new best friend, thanks for the pictures.

seems like a nice candidate for rear surrounds in a quasi-vintage HT setup....

No problem Cayuga, I love the vintage stuff from Altec, JBL and EV. These fall in the category for sure. I just wish I lived closer to you so some of your windfall would blow my way.

Wayne, that sounds like an awesome idea. You will need a pretty big room but how cool would that be?
    WOW!

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Nice speakers if the price is right; "great for tube amps" (not Tannoy-great, though).

I think that the original series Sentry monitors used an EV SP12B for the woofer and EV T-35 for the tweeter.

Info on the Sentry 1:
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...20II%20EDS.pdf

Info on Sentry 1A:
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...%20&%20IIA.pdf

Info on EV drivers:
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Drivers/EDS/
    all the best,
    mrh

The price on these is $125, it's a no brainier isn't?

if the drivers work... yes.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thanks mhardy6647, I don't need them but will grab them anyway. Another interesting set of speakers for my store, after I play with them at home for awhile.

a little off topic / on topic... 16 ohm speakers??? does it take more power to drive them and do they put an "excessive" load on your amp???

I know that sounds like a stupid question - but I've always wondered....

wayne

no and no, respectively. Most direct coupled amplifiers will put out less power into 16 ohms than 8 ohms, but the sensitivity of the speaker and the shape (flatness) of its impedance curve will determine how much power it takes to drive them and the qualitative nature of the load it presents to the amp.

Transformer-coupled outputs on amplifiers will supply the same amount of power into a 16 ohm load vs. 8 ohm load, as long as the appropriate taps are used. IRL it's a little more complicated than that, since most loudspeakers (planars being a noteworthy exception) do not behave as purely resistive loads and their nominal impedance is just that (nominal). Most speakers' "true" impedance isn't a constant, but rather a complex, frequency dependent function of DC resistance as well as capacitative and inductive reactance terms.

Any direct coupled amp should actually be happier/ perform better into 16 ohms than 8 (albeit supplying nominally half the output power into the 16 ohm load).

EDIT: remember that 2.83 volts AC is 1 watt into 8 ohms, but it's 2 watts into 4 ohms (requiring twice the current) and 0.5 watts into 16 ohms (requiring half the current).
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 07-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

So these EV should be very easy to drive, I'm thinking of using a little Dynaco 17 watter.

should be marvy. Sensitivity should be in the high 90s if not triple-digit. I'd go with single-ended 2A3... but that's just me...
    all the best,
    mrh

I like your thinking, like my Tannoys you can't beat the high sensitivity. What old receivers would be worth using? I have a little Marantz 2010 in my office, how do you think they would sound with vintage solid state?

Got a harman/kardon hk430 or hk330c laying around (or is that lying around)? If not, howzabout a Sherwood S-7100, S-7100A or S-7200 or an HH Scott 342?

The correct answer would be something like a Fisher 400 or 500B or C (or 800B or C) :-)
    Vintage of course, but soiled state? Not so much.

all the best,
    mrh

I have a bunch of receivers, none that you listed. I have Sansui 2000a, Pioneer SX 450,550,850 and 990, Tandberg TR-2040, Nakamichi and a handful of technics. Plus several Marantz, will any of those do the job?

oooh, oooh... try the Tandberg! :-)
    Sansui 2000A might be fun, too?

What Nakamichi receiver?
    all the best,
    mrh

I second the Tandberg. That should be milky smooth. The Lower watt Pioneers 450 and 550 should be pretty tasty as well as the Sansui. I like that Sansui sound.

Mhardy, you should be correct on the drivers The Sp12b is a very nice driver. The horn is something that has been used by a bunch of manufacturers (Klipsch being the biggest).

The Sentry 1 speakers were really designed for ambiance and background fill so they are sensitive in nature. Having less need for power makes them very clean sounding and less fatiguing than speakers used nowadays for background sound. They will probably be pretty laid back sounding. I suggest laying them on there side with the horns in toward the middle as that horn likes to be taller than wider in placement.

Somewhere down the line people stopped using larger well engineered speakers for background and started using little insensitive speakers that need more power to produce good quality while also causing them to sound brittle and bright.

I knew a place in South Jersey that had Patricians as background speakers. You always heard the music but it was never to much that you couldn't hold a conversation. Heck they had people sitting not 5-6 feet from them.

Cayuga, I am very jealous of your finds and friends.

Here are a set of Patricians.
    WOW!

Totally agree... the scope and scale of sound from these big ol' high sensitivity loudspeakers is much more natural than the audiophile "presentation" that became popular in the 1970s and (in somewhat mutated form) still today.

The trick with high-sensitivity loudspeakers is to find amps with qualitatively and quantitatively good audio performance at very low output power levels.... your typical Class AB direct-coupled amplifier with gobs of NFB (used to lower THD, to widen/flatten frequency response, and jack up damping factor) will not be at its best at sub 100-mW levels; something like a single-ended 2A3 amplifier with a single voltage amp driver stage will be much more linear at very low power levels.

Yeah, the SX-450 might be worth a try (heck, they're allworth a try)... but I still stand by my original recommendations :-)

EDIT: I'd be hard-pressed to call the output of an EV T-35 horn tweeter "laid-back" :-P
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 07-19-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information