Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blown speaker?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Blown speaker?

I put an Olm meter on my speaker and it reads all zeros. Does that mean it is blown? I can't get any sound out of it because the amp is now blown too... I'm not sure if the speaker blew up the amp or vice versa.

Make sure your multimeter is set to a low range, probably the 200ohm or 20ohm range and see if you get a reading. Some meters are a bit confusing when to a high range if you try to measure a low resistance.
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

Well the speaker is definitely shorted. One speaker reads 3 Olms, and the other reads 0. What would cause that to happen?

Well, the reason the meter reads "0" on one speaker is that the voicecoil of that speaker is damaged. Most likely there is a short in the voicecoil somewhere which would result in a shorter path through the VC which would cause your meter to read a much lower resistance. This damage could be caused by improperly powering the speakers (I don't want to get into a discussion of over/under powering) or some type of factory defect.
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

Thread Information