Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 100 post count for Wanted Ads

This might be a hot topic, and I apologize beforehand if it turns into one. That's not the intention of this thread.

I notice many times when someone responds to a wanted ad with less than 100 posts, the "book" gets thrown at them for not having a count in the triple digits. I understand the concern, but even that rule seems to not apply to wanted ads:

"You must have a total post count of 100 (contribute to the other parts of the forum) before you can sell anything in the "For Sale (FS) Classifieds" or "Garage Sale" forums."

If that's the requirements, why do we get so defensive to these responses? I know its a black and white interpretation, but I don't see where they are doing anything wrong. The wanted ads serve a purpose to our members. I wouldn't care if I got it from a 3 poster or not, but I definitely wouldn't hold the same expectations as I would with one of the regulars. It'd be a "buy at your own risk" situation where the member is taking their own risk, knowing that the seller is not a true "Polkie". This is a completely different situation than if that same person came on to the site to post it for sale IMO. Might just be me though.

I fully agree with you! The add belongs to the OP and should be his own decision to buy from who ever he wishes and as far the person responding to an ad, he-she is NOT posting a sale and therefore he-she is NOT an offender unless the OP is specifying a minimum of posts is required. My .02 anyway...

Great points.
    Looking forward to hear about the counter arguments/explanations.

pepster

From what I have seen, most "elder" members would like for this forum to be "locked down" with no new members allowed to participate.
    Just MHO.
    I think that may be the opposite of what is really needed here.
    Not many members here, with roughly 50 members online at once at most.
    "Club Clique".
    Lock it down and it becomes one big PM!
    May not be a forum without new members!

I have tried my best to attract new members for sure (Karma).
    I would think at the VERY least, they should be able to respond to a "wanted" add without much hassle, but I doubt it considering.
    There are some OUTSTANDING old timer members on here, and others that have nothing better to do than throw their post count around.
    What a life!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

whimps. Go over to head-case and post. Then you'll know what
    a tough crowd is really like! For sale doesn't even show up until you're logged
    in, either. That cuts down on random trolling for gear.
    The rule is there so Club Polk deals are on a more solid footing.
    Members know what to expect. The world isn't fair.
    I'm sure some of the old guys have seen some real losers show up in the
    flea market. Head-fi, on the other hand, is nice to everyone.
    And you have to sort through a lot of nonsense information and shady
    sales deals. Any crack pot idea can take hold and get treated as fact.
    That is one reason the phrase FOTM(flavor of the month)came to be.
    Any shill can show up praising a new product and get 100's of supporters.
    Then about a month later a couple of real reviews show up by experienced
    members and the tide swings the other way.

Posted by a cranky older member
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    whimps. Go over to head-case and post. Then you'll know what
    a tough crowd is really like! For sale doesn't even show up until you're logged
    in, either. That cuts down on random trolling for gear.
    The rule is there so Club Polk deals are on a more solid footing.
    Members know what to expect. The world isn't fair.
    I'm sure some of the old guys have seen some real losers show up in the
    flea market. Head-fi, on the other hand, is nice to everyone.
    And you have to sort through a lot of nonsense information and shady
    sales deals. Any crack pot idea can take hold and get treated as fact.
    That is one reason the phrase FOTM(flavor of the month)came to be.
    Any shill can show up praising a new product and get 100's of supporters.
    Then about a month later a couple of real reviews show up by experienced
    members and the tide swings the other way.

Posted by a cranky older member

Happens on every forum, EVERY FORUM!
    Last edited by pepster; 07-23-2011 at 12:22 AM.

pepster

I was talking about this particular forum.
    Isn't that what this thread is about?

I like how Karma can't be "given away" without 100 posts!
    You can't even get something for free unless you have 100 posts first!
    Something you were going to give away in the first place!
    Last edited by pepster; 07-23-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

There's no reason for a posted wanted ad(WTB), <100 respondent to get chastised for posting interest in that members' sale. None. If it's a sale by a valid member, then anyone has the right to purchase that item albeit another member, <100 member or even Guest if that's the case. I've sold at least two pieces of gear in the forum to Polkies with 1(one) post. There was not a single negative comment in my FS thread towards those buyers that I recall. The outcome and terms of that WTB sale are between the seller and buyer.

The "most appropriate" rule that should apply at that point is the "If you are not at all interested in buying an item that someone is selling, DO NOT post a reply. All violators of this rule will be banned from this section of the site". I'm using what works best here as it's not an actual statement in the rules in regards to WTB.

Since I'm typically the FM Chickenhawk, I'll ensure some WTB rules get posted and tweak the overall rules a bit. However, I think it's important for membership to watch over things and remind others of the rules and guidelines from time to time. Not everything can be caught at any given time and that's why we watch out for one another here....that's why it works here. We have one of THE MOST diverse Flea Market's on the internet.

The Karma issue is tied in with the FS post count due to the design of vBulletin and Patricks' parameters until the upgrade, not intentional Pepster.

I can count how many <100 posters have PM'd, emailed and politiced fiercely to get a Karma up as fast as possible on one finger.

The "Elder" members do not want this locked down or to become a private forum in any way shape or form, that's silly and counterproductive. Just to clarify, they're usually referred to as the "The Core" with the even more hardcore, private group called "The Family". It's only within the last couple years that I've seen some truly active and regular normal membership step-up with a couple setting the bar in participation and contribution. Larry(TFLF) and Mike(Gimpod) are stand-outs for me across the board for example but a LOT of folks have started posting solid stuff and really participating.

I know its been a Love/Hate relationship on here sometimes but without all levels of membership participating here, to include every clique and every single example of member on member growling....this place would be dead or have died a long time ago. The dynamic here is fine, the membership is excellent. Yes, sometimes the new folks just need to hang out a bit to get the vibe and settle in before they "get-it" or don't. While others simply need to be removed, some sooner than later. It's the same thing with every forum but it's handled a certain way here. I think it's cool and my personal issues aside, of which I have some of course, there's nothing wrong and I'm proud to be a member.

-Mark
    Last edited by dorokusai; 07-23-2011 at 01:54 AM.

s2b, I have ZERO issue with the mandatory post requirement. I just don't see where it applies to the Wanted section either in the written rules or in practice. If I'm looking for the Polk speaker cables and post it in the Wanted section, only to have someone join who has the item, then it served me the way I intended. I'd still much rather buy from a SN I see regularly, but some items you just won't be able to find in the group.

If I buy from a low-post, I can't hold the forum accountable for the transaction because that person doesn't represent the forum. The fact that they are a low post also isn't going to deter me from a transaction if I feel comfortable with the guy/gal. If anything, I'd almost feel that in order to POST in the Wanted section, you should meet a minimum post count because you are the one INITIATING the transaction. We don't seem to harp on low-posters for buying (responding to a request) an item for sale, so why should we when they are responding to a Wanted thread?

EDIT: Thanks for the response Mark.
    Last edited by DSkip; 07-23-2011 at 01:30 AM.

pepster

The "Elder" members do not want this locked down or to become a private forum in any way shape or form, that's silly and counterproductive. They're usually referred to as the "The Core" with the even more hardcore, private group called "The Family".
    Sopranos quote?

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    Sopranos quote?
    Nope.

pepster

Wondering who decides who is "family"?

A very small group of individuals.

Good post Dskip.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 07-23-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

From what I have seen, most "elder" members would like for this forum to be "locked down" with no new members allowed to participate.
    Just MHO.
    I think that may be the opposite of what is really needed here.
    Not many members here, with roughly 50 members online at once at most.
    "Club Clique".
    Lock it down and it becomes one big PM!
    May not be a forum without new members!

I have tried my best to attract new members for sure (Karma).
    I would think at the VERY least, they should be able to respond to a "wanted" add without much hassle, but I doubt it considering.
    There are some OUTSTANDING old timer members on here, and others that have nothing better to do than throw their post count around.
    What a life!
    You sure do a lot of whining.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

pepster

You must be "Family".

pepster

You must be "Family".
    Something to proud of!

pepster

Prolly walking on thin ice as it is, maybe keep my mouth shut for once (super rare!)?
    And believe me, its all I can do!:tongue:
    Last edited by pepster; 07-23-2011 at 05:58 AM.

pepster

OK forget that last post!
    I CANNOT keep my piehole shut!:tongue:
    I personally have never seen a more arrogant group of people in my entire internet life (which may be short on here).
    I, personally would find it a little repulsive to spend 10 years, and post 25,000 times on an audio forum.
    I mean, do you not have a life?
    Maybe collect custom made urinal cakes or something (I heard they make them to look like Clinton)!
    That said, it may be what I like most about this forum!
    You remind me of me!
    Banned?
    Boy, it would be hard for me to go somewhere else!
    Like you 25k posters, this is ALL I have (thats funny:tongue:)!
    I don't have to rely on posts, I rely on TALENT!
    Last edited by pepster; 07-23-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The one piece of gear I've sold on here was to someone w/ <100 posts. The transaction went smoothly, so I don't know why anyone would bitch about buyers w/<100 posts?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I personally have never seen a more arrogant group of people in my entire internet life (which may be short on here).
    I, personally would find it a little repulsive to spend 10 years, and post 25,000 times on an audio forum.
    I mean, do you not have a life?.......
    You remind me of me!
    Banned?
    Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish in this post or thread, but a few smily faces don't make you funny or cute in the least. Seems like you are trying to incite things here. You've contributed a bit here and i would like to see you stick around, but if you really feel that way, then go quietly and not in a blaze of glory.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Hmmm, don't see anyone here w/25k posts, so not sure where that one was aimed?

Disclaimer - this is not directed at anyone in particular, just a sort of general opinion post for anyone who feels like reading it.

OK, OK, enough semantics. This place does lean toward the protective side, but in a good, often times necessary, way. There have been too many instances of new people coming here and trying to kick in the door that was already open. Then they complain to the mods at how unfairly they get treated?

If you really want to see what this place ia all about, take a look at some pix in the Showcase of recent PolkFests. Or better yet, GO to one and see for yourself; you will be pleasantly surprised at how things are in person, not a bad apple in the barrel, IMO. BTW, take a look at my sig, kinda echoes what I'm saying here...

And I agree with the sentiment of the OP, if I put a WTB ad out there, I have no problems with a relative newb offering it up ... at the end of the day, I will decide if i want to buy from them or not. I also agree with the 100 post rule to sell things, definitely keeps the bazaar traders away from here.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

www.polkarmy.com/forums

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I mean, do you not have a life?
    Maybe collect custom made urinal cakes or something (I heard they make them to look like Clinton)!
    You remind me of me!
    Banned?
    I know you desperately want to be part of the family. Sorry, it will never happen.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

I just wish lurkers would respond to a post at some point. It seems as if some threads get a few posts, but have hundreds of views. A comment here and there certainly doesn't hurt, and helps build the post count.

Maybe they're scared after witnessing the level of testosterone displayed here :D

Quote Originally Posted by ysss View Post
    Maybe they're scared after witnessing the level of testosterone displayed here :D
    Maybe, but that is a weak excuse. Few threads are that hostile to stop a post.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

So,, whats the problem? For me,, the FM is a place that contributing members use to pass on gear to members at prices usually less than the open market.It's not designed for newbees to hock their receivers etc,,I,for one, am gratefull for the policework that occurs.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Charles Manson had a "family" and look where it got him.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Georges, I just realized you don't even have 10,000 posts. I won't talk to you guys anymore.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Pepster - I guess I'm sad but I will survive {cues music} oh yes, I will survive. What a douchey response. How about you let the subject be talked about nicely and stay away since you'll want it to be about you. Deal? Cool.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 07-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

I like to refer to the squaking jibber-jabbers as the Polk HOA. You want to be part of the place--then be part...step up as some above have been noted.

most times the secret codes get updated at PolkFest so there is a place to start. if I need something and post a WTB I could care less if someone new responds...in fact I encourage it.

RT1--Sue Me.
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE