Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Can PS3 replace squeezebox and BDP?

I am considering purchasing a ps3 despite the fact that I am not a gamer and will rarely play games. What I want is

1. A good fast bdp with good internet streaming including netflix and amazon (my pioneer has awesome aq and pq but is slow as hades and does not stream - the speed is really an issue with little kiddos in the house)
    2. A media server that works and sounds as good as my squeezebox classic including an iphone and android app that would allow me to serve up tunes on the patio.

Will the ps3 do this? Basically I am thinking I can sell my bdp and squeezebox for about the cost of the ps3, hence the question. The other option of course is just to get a faster bdp with streaming capabilities, but I like the extra storage capacity of the ps3 and the possibility of games and 3d if I ever upgrade the tv.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Paul
    HT Rig:
    Mains, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling
    Center - Polk cs400i
    Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling
    Sub - SVS PB10-ISD
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018ah-k
    Server - Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Blu-ray - Sony BDP-S390
    DVR - DirecTV Genie + AM21
    Display - Samsung PN43E450 Plasma

Two Channel PC Rig (In progress)
    Dell Studio 540s-->Pangea USB Cable-->HRT Music Streamer II DAC-->MIT AVT1-->Dayton DTA 100a-->MIT EXP2-->Polk Monitor 5 w/Peerless

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Negative, the ps3 will do all of that, but not do any of it as well as the other devices.

Yeah - the controlling it from your iphone / android phone part may be a challenge as i don't think any apps exist to control the ps3 via bluetooth / wifi. I think there is a way using some kind of dongle. If you're runing PS3 media server or TVersity, the music part would work though.

But as Assimilated said ...it won't do it as well as an SB or similar device.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Negative, the ps3 will do all of that, but not do any of it as well as the other devices.
    I agree. I have a PS3 that I use for some of these purposes. The problem for me is my internet speeds. They're just not fast enough and the PS3 hiccups a lot on a cable modem that does about 5 Mbps or a little more on a "good day" when everyone is NOT overloading the system. No fiber optic up North!

I use Google's free PS3 Media server to access items off my PC/laptop. Blu-ray play is "fine" and my daughter is the gamer.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Alright thx guys thats what I needed to know. I love that little squeezebox and would hate to lose that convenience since with 3 very small children I pretty much only get to listen to music on the go (even while in the house).

Okay so the faster bdp isn't the top priority since most of the movies my kids watch are on the dvr. So for streaming purposes would I be better off getting a roku or apple tv and keep my bdp, or selling the bdp and buying a ps3 for bdp and streaming?

Thread Information