Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 111
  1. #31
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
    F1 has the MF KW SACD player...which he listens to with his mahageny pipe, sipping his cheap merlot.

    BDT
    I thought it was while sipping his Vodka Gimlet with his hat tilted at a jaunty angle.
    Anyway, +1 for Let it Bleed. I haven't put the thing away since I started the thread. I've also decided to add one Stones album per week until I get all of them. One of those things I said I was always going to do but never did (bucket list type stuff). This week I ordered Flowers. Looking forward to that one. Cheers.

  2. #32

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Which sampling rate did you select given a choice of 96k or 176k or better?

  3. #33

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,934

    Default

    96k. I have a squeezebox touch, 96 is the highest it plays without downsampling.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

  4. #34

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Do they put a time limit on how long you can download it or limit the number of times?
    In case the connection goes down?

  5. #35

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,934

    Default

    If the connection goes down, you can continue the download easily. But once you download, that's it. Make sure you backup!!!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

  6. #36

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Yeah $20 each x 10 is a lot of moola.

  7. #37

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Anyone compared the HDTracks version to SACD? I just got LIB 176k!

  8. #38

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,934

    Default

    Congrats. FYI from all the reviews I've read, I haven't seen anyone who can tell the diff between the 96 and the 176. In the futures I'd save the extra money and go for 96...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

  9. #39

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    For the Stones the lower rate is only 88kHz.
    This is probably good enough for the earlier material.
    The 176k is probably a one time thing to try out.

  10. #40

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Anyway, +1 for Let it Bleed. I haven't put the thing away since I started the thread. This week I ordered Flowers. Looking forward to that one. Cheers.
    I'm in the same camp, since this thread I've gone back & listened to many "older" Stones. "Let It Bleed" is killer. As for "Flowers", as mentioned earlier, one of my favs from their golden era. It's highly underrated & often overlooked. Also, don't forget "Aftermath". Despite being politically incorrect,
    look at that "Stupid Girl"

  11. #41

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Glass City
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    The first nine or ten Stones albums are classics if there is such a thing. Then came the Glitter Twins and it all ended.
    "Let It Bleed" & "Beggar's Banquet" are two of my favorites but I need them all.

    The Rolling Stones still made some darn good music after the first 9 or 10 albums (the Brian Jones era).

    "Let It Bleed" was their 10th album.

    Classics like "Sticky Fingers", "Exile On Mainstreet", "Black and Blue", "Some Girls" and all the rest are essentials for any serious classic rock collection in my book. Especially if you are a Stones freak like I am.

    I occasionally crank-up "Black and Blue" to really "feel" the punch of my RT5000 system. "Hey Negrita" and "Hot Stuff" are killer tracks for full utilization of the 8 powered subs.

    I've also loaded every Stones studio, live, and compilation release on my HTPC in flac format too as well as 26 Stones Video DVDs.

    One of my all-time favorites to see live too back in the days.

    I don't have all of the albums in the latest remastered format but will probably eventually upgrade them all. I blow all my money one newer music releases nowadays. I can't afford to just throw all my old stuff away unless I win the lottery or something.

    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 08-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    POLK AUDIO SRT (Signature Reference Theater)
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower

  12. #42

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    The early Stones albums sound better than the Beatles comparatively year by year.
    There is a rawness to the guitars on Beggars Banquet, and the definition is better than vinyl even with 24x88.
    I highly recommend the new HD format, especially if you don't have the 2002 SACD versions.

  13. #43
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    I finally put away Let it Bleed because my copy of Flowers showed up. Some nice songs that I haven't listened to for a while, Lady Jane, Mother's little helper, et al. I think my favorite forgotten classic here is Out of Time. My older brother played the heck out of that song when the album was out because he was having girl troubles at the time. This week I am ordering Beggar's Banquet. This method is a little like getting a Civil War Chess set mail order but at a little quicker pace. Cheers.

  14. #44

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Glass City
    Posts
    245

    Default

    For those who really love the Stones, a must-have is the new release of "Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" on Blu-Ray.

    Most Stones aficionados consider this to be their finest video-recorded performance of all-time.

    I remember going to the midnight movies in the 70s to see it in my youth and then hadn't seen it for over 30 years until recently. Phenomenal!!

    It's a concert from 1972 in Texas with Mick Taylor and it includes some previously-unreleased backstage bonus footage too.

    I picked-up a copy for $15 on Amazon. Well-worth every cent!!

    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 08-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    POLK AUDIO SRT (Signature Reference Theater)
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower

  15. #45
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    For those who really love the Stones, a must-have is the new release of "Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" on Blu-Ray.

    Most Stones aficionados consider this to be their finest video-recorded performance of all-time.

    I remember going to the midnight movies in the 70s to see it in my youth and then hadn't seen it for over 30 years until recently. Phenomenal!!

    It's a concert from 1972 in Texas with Mick Taylor and it includes some previously-unreleased backstage bonus footage too.

    I picked-up a copy for $15 on Amazon. Well-worth every cent!!

    +1, I bought this but haven't watched it yet. I think I saw this at the Midnight movies as well but that was a lot of brain cells ago.

  16. #46

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    +1, I bought this but haven't watched it yet. I think I saw this at the Midnight movies as well but that was a lot of brain cells ago.
    I've got this, watched some of it when I got it, but the cinemaphotograhpy bugs the crap out of me - got really tired of watching Mick Jagger's face fill the screen, or brief close ups of Mick Taylor's guitar....its a pet peeve of mine...for a concert movie...*show me the band* and give me a sense of the WHOLE performance.

    Check out The Band's "Last Waltz" - now that is a properly done concert movie.

    H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

  17. #47

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    146

    Default

    How is the Blue-Ray audio on Ladies and Gentlemen?
    Does it support 176k sampling rate?

  18. #48

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Glass City
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saemark30 View Post
    How is the Blue-Ray audio on Ladies and Gentlemen?
    Does it support 176k sampling rate?
    The audio is excellent.

    There are three options:
    DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    Dolby Digital 5.1
    LPCM 2.0

    As far as the 176k sampling rate?

    I don't think so.

    Does any Blu-Ray have that sampling rate?

    The highest I have ever seen was 96k (but I'm no expert).

    All I know is for the sound is superb and the video's not bad either.

    I don't think anyone who likes the Stones would be disappointed in spending $15 for a legendary remastered HQ Blu-Ray concert like this. I don't think the audio soundtrack was ever released separately either.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 08-11-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    POLK AUDIO SRT (Signature Reference Theater)
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower

  19. #49
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Been listening to Beggar's Banquet. First time I have listened to it as a whole. It took me a few times through to kind of warm up to it. Don't have as much love for it as Let it Bleed. Next up in the queue is Aftermath. I am waiting for it to come in the mail. Cheers.

  20. #50

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Next up in the queue is Aftermath. I am waiting for it to come in the mail. Cheers.
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Very early "nasty" Stones with classics like, "Under My Thumb", "Stupid Girl" and very dark Stones, "Paint It Black". Features original line up with Brian still kickin'.

  21. #51

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Glass City
    Posts
    245

    Default

    I've been a Stones freak for a long time.

    One of my other "hobbies" is restoring pinball machines. I've had as many as 16 but now I'm down to 8 of them. Here's one I restored a couple years ago. It's a "keeper".

    It's a 1979 Bally Rolling Stones:



    Here's a shot of the playfield after restoration: http://i51.tinypic.com/2111nkh.jpg


    Stern (the last pinball machine manufacturer in existence) just released a new Rolling Stones pinball machine for 2011. I played one the other day and it's pretty-nice.

    Here's the new 2011 model: http://www.sternpinball.com/Games/th.aspx
    POLK AUDIO SRT (Signature Reference Theater)
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower

  22. #52

  23. #53
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Cool, thanks. I had a banner week this week as I had some extra cash from my birthday. So I ordered the following 4 pack: 12 x 5, England's Newest Hitmakers, December's Children (and Everybody's) and Out of Our Heads. I've got a lot of listening coming up, can't wait. I have never listened to these albums in their entirety. I am also still waiting for Aftermath to show up. Cheers.

  24. #54
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POIDOG View Post
    I'm in the same camp, since this thread I've gone back & listened to many "older" Stones. "Let It Bleed" is killer. As for "Flowers", as mentioned earlier, one of my favs from their golden era. It's highly underrated & often overlooked. Also, don't forget "Aftermath". Despite being politically incorrect,
    look at that "Stupid Girl"
    Aftermath finally arrived. Regarding "Stupid Girl", I'm down. Mick must have had an axe to grind (Marianne Faithful perhaps ?). I' m liking the album, some cool deep cuts include Stupid Girl, Flight 505 and High and Dry. What's up with the extended jam of Going Home ? Killing studio time or just heavy drug use ? Interesting. Next up is the album 12 X 5. Cheers.

  25. #55
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Oh yeah, forgot to mention / ask why Lady Jane appears on both Aftermath and Flowers. Is it the whole US / UK separate release thing ?

  26. #56

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Aftermath finally arrived. Regarding "Stupid Girl", I'm down. Mick must have had an axe to grind (Marianne Faithful perhaps ?). I' m liking the album, some cool deep cuts include Stupid Girl, Flight 505 and High and Dry. What's up with the extended jam of Going Home ? Killing studio time or just heavy drug use ? Interesting. Next up is the album 12 X 5. Cheers.
    Who knows, not their best, and it is dark. The vibe of being a Rolling Stone is showing some stress. Many a young man can get twisted over a woman's scorn. Don't forget Brian was about to join the "27 Curse" and I think his fingerprints are all over this album. Who knows what "devils" were in his mind.

    As for "Lady Jane", 60's style neo-folk that the music biz were trying to push. It did receive some air-time play,however,on "Aftermath" it is really out of place,better suited to a"Flowers" vibe. Like Brian Wilson putting "Sloop John B" on Pet Sounds, a WTF moment IMHO.

    12x5 is a nice portrait of the Stones at the time. You should enjoy, bluesy and upbeat. Your thoughts?

  27. #57
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POIDOG View Post
    Who knows, not their best, and it is dark. The vibe of being a Rolling Stone is showing some stress. Many a young man can get twisted over a woman's scorn. Don't forget Brian was about to join the "27 Curse" and I think his fingerprints are all over this album. Who knows what "devils" were in his mind.

    As for "Lady Jane", 60's style neo-folk that the music biz were trying to push. It did receive some air-time play,however,on "Aftermath" it is really out of place,better suited to a"Flowers" vibe. Like Brian Wilson putting "Sloop John B" on Pet Sounds, a WTF moment IMHO.

    12x5 is a nice portrait of the Stones at the time. You should enjoy, bluesy and upbeat. Your thoughts?
    Had a couple of passes through on 12 x 5 and England's Newest Hitmakers.
    To me you could label these volume one and volume two it doesn't matter. That being said, I am digging the raw, youthful vibe they put out. As you say, a snapshot of the Stones at the time. Not Fade Away, Route 66, Its All over Now, 2120 South Michigan Avenue are all being added to my playlist. My only complaint with these albums is that they are too short. I'll probably let these two finish out the week before I move onto December's Children and Out of Our Heads. Cheers.

  28. #58

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Had a couple of passes through on 12 x 5 and England's Newest Hitmakers.
    To me you could label these volume one and volume two it doesn't matter. That being said, I am digging the raw, youthful vibe they put out. Cheers.
    Yes, people forget, Rolling Stones 60's style are proto punk. Not at all like the aged Rock Arena Monsters they've become. Your right about V1 and V2. 12x5 was their second album and not bad.

    All this RS talk has got me listening to their earlier stuff again, just ordered December's Children for my library. Big breakout for the English bad boys. Hey you get off my cloud.

  29. #59
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POIDOG View Post
    All this RS talk has got me listening to their earlier stuff again, just ordered December's Children for my library. Big breakout for the English bad boys. Hey you get off my cloud.
    My plan is working then. At least I've managed to take one fellow Polkee down the path with me. More reviews to come.

  30. #60
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Latest installment included Out of Our Heads and December's Children (and everbody's). Much like 12 X 5 and England's Newest Hitmaker's you could label these Volumes 3 and 4. These have a lot of the same vibe as those albums. Gems include Satisfaction, The Last Time, Get off My Cloud, As Tears Go By, Play with Fire and Route 66 (which appears again). The cool deeper cuts include The Spider and the Fly and a song I have been seeking since the eighties. Back in the early eighties, I was at a concert which featured Billy Squier and Foreigner. During a break in between acts, they played the song Mercy, Mercy (which leads off the album Out of Our Heads). As soon as I heard it it took me back to that time. A very cool flashback that managed to survive all these years. Needless to say that one will be added to the playlist. Next up will be the Rolling Stones Now and Between the Buttons. Cheers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. The Rolling Stones
    By brdwaybeauty in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM
  2. Rolling Stones LPs in mono
    By kevhed72 in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Rolling Stones Reissues
    By DForeman in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 02:02 AM
  4. Rolling Stones SACD's
    By dagame27 in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 04:06 AM
  5. Rolling Stones Concert
    By har_navalta in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 12:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts